SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

Perhaps the wrong thread for this but...

The Senators lost out on the bidding wars for two of the three top defensemen from last year.

Chara is a Bruin now and Potheir (sp?) is no longer with the team. They did manage to re-sign Redden though.

What does this mean to Sioux fans? I think INCH's expectation of Lee to remain in Grand Forks may no longer be so sure.

you could be right. to lose another Sioux team member, esp with the loss of Parise looming near, expectedly, it would be a devastating blow to lose yet another member of the team. but, in my opinion, whether the senators are a little shallow at D or not, Lee has a good amount of work to do on playing better. i noticed last season that he just kinda dangled the puck alot, esp on powerplays. he would just sit there with it, more than pass it, and waste time on PPs. he wasnt much of a physical force, not compared to, well, any other D-man on the ice for the Sioux. i think that the sens may know they are shallow, but i believe they also know they have alot more options waiting for them in Binghamton in the mix already. i just personally think Lee will be back next season to imporve his game. Then we'll probably lose him next year.

on a side note, did anyone else notice that in the Sens trade of their second round pick, they traded brandon bochenski as well for tyler arnason. so toews will get a chance to play with bochenski now. that would be a kick ass combination.

...., they traded brandon bochenski as well for tyler arnason. so toews will get a chance to play with bochenski now. that would be a kick ass combination.

Brandon was traded to the 'Hawks last spring. I saw him play against the Oilers in April. Greene was a healthy scratch for that game.

UNDintheNHL--

Dangling the puck is new to me, I always thought he was trying to sound out the PK crew for the other team. Remember, the more the puck is passed, the better the chance the PK unit has at either catching a break or intercepting the puck. Sure, you want to pass the puck some to get the defense moving (and the goaltender moving too), but waiting for the right match up is just as important. And for the umpteenth time, Lee isn't a physical defensive defenseman! Sure, he has size (6'3") but he's a finesse two way defenseman whose offensive upside is unreal. He's a positioning type of defenseman, not a bone crusher like Smaby, Finley, or Greene. He plays a different style. I guess Lee will forever be haunted by comparisons to the other tall defensemen to come through UND, but I guess I'm just happy he's a Sioux player (for now) and I think UND would genuinely be in trouble if he left.

UNDintheNHL--

Dangling the puck is new to me, I always thought he was trying to sound out the PK crew for the other team. Remember, the more the puck is passed, the better the chance the PK unit has at either catching a break or intercepting the puck. Sure, you want to pass the puck some to get the defense moving (and the goaltender moving too), but waiting for the right match up is just as important. And for the umpteenth time, Lee isn't a physical defensive defenseman! Sure, he has size (6'3") but he's a finesse two way defenseman whose offensive upside is unreal. He's a positioning type of defenseman, not a bone crusher like Smaby, Finley, or Greene. He plays a different style. I guess Lee will forever be haunted by comparisons to the other tall defensemen to come through UND, but I guess I'm just happy he's a Sioux player (for now) and I think UND would genuinely be in trouble if he left.

Agreed, Lee will never be a big hitter. His puck handling and positioning are second to none, that is his game, and I can find no fault with it. He does need to develop a big slapper though to go with the rest of his skills.

Agreed, Lee will never be a big hitter. His puck handling and positioning are second to none, that is his game, and I can find no fault with it. He does need to develop a big slapper though to go with the rest of his skills.

Perhaps you are right, but his wrist shot is unreal. I mean, it was one heckuva wrist shot in the BC game.

Commie shaved his head again. Today's Best on the NHL home page shows him and Brindamour holding the Cup in front of a water falls at Campbell River, British Columbia.

http://www.nhl.com/

Yeah Commie has carved out a pretty nice career for himself. That must just be an awesome feeling to hold that cup when you know how hard you have worked to get it.

From CCNSi on Ed Belfour;

The Red Wings got the results of free-agent goalie Ed Belfour's physical Thursday. And they liked what they saw

-- Detroit News

The Red Wings medical staff has given The Eagle' clearance to land in Detroit, and general manager Ken Holland said he'll let goaltender Ed Belfour know by Monday whether the club will offer him a one-year contract.

-- Michigan Live

From CCNSi on Ed Belfour;

The Red Wings got the results of free-agent goalie Ed Belfour's physical Thursday. And they liked what they saw

-- Detroit News

The Red Wings medical staff has given The Eagle' clearance to land in Detroit, and general manager Ken Holland said he'll let goaltender Ed Belfour know by Monday whether the club will offer him a one-year contract.

-- Michigan Live

I was hoping Eddie would have come back to Dallas.

NO offense to Eddie, but I may be the only Red Wings fan not enthused about this deal.

Eddie is yet ANOTHER 1 year rental on an old horse for the Red Wings. I'm not sure what else the Wings could have done, but I thought they should have gone after a younger goaltender like Luongo or perhaps Nabokov. We'll see how Eddie does this next year, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Again, this is nothing against Eddie as a UND alum and all. I just don't think he's the answer for the Red Wings.

NO offense to Eddie, but I may be the only Red Wings fan not enthused about this deal.

Eddie is yet ANOTHER 1 year rental on an old horse for the Red Wings. I'm not sure what else the Wings could have done, but I thought they should have gone after a younger goaltender like Luongo or perhaps Nabokov. We'll see how Eddie does this next year, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Again, this is nothing against Eddie as a UND alum and all. I just don't think he's the answer for the Red Wings.

But they have Chris Osgood as a backup and Jimmy Howard (Maine) as another goalie, probably just giving him another year to develop and adjust.

Siouxhockey5

There are many in Detroit that don't want the Wings to sign Eddie :D

great for colby

this may have been reported here already but in case it has not travis roche gets a deal with the coyotes, not sure if he has a shot in the nhl there as maybe san antonio will be his home for a while...

Former Wild defenseman Travis Roche signed a two-year deal with the Phoenix Coyotes

http://www.startribune.com/507/story/540962.html