SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs Southeastern Louisiana

GeauxSioux

I know week 4 isn't over for most teams, but I'm so pumped from last night's game, I had to get Week 5 started. By having a short week this week, the Sioux will have plenty of time to rest up and heal from injuries. Also a little more time to prepare for the Lions.

Since I'm only three hours away from Hammond, LA, I've been looking forward to this game for months. Unfortunately, our fourth child has decided not to arrive as scheduled (already 9 days late) and I will likely miss the game. If it were an afternoon game it may have been doable.

Beat the Lions.

Go Sioux!!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know week 4 isn't over for most teams, but I'm so pumped from last night's game, I had to get Week 5 started. By having a short week this week, the Sioux will have plenty of time to rest up and heal from injuries. Also a little more time to prepare for the Lions.

Since I'm only three hours away from Hammond, LA, I've been looking forward to this game for months. Unfortunately, our fourth child has decided not to arrive as scheduled (already 9 days late) and I will likely miss the game. If it were an afternoon game it may have been doable.

Beat the Lions.

Go Sioux!!!

Shoot...I was literally on the other side of the planet when my wife delivered our fourth. What's three hours?

;)

GO SIOUX

I haven't been... blessed... with knowing anything about a fourth, but around here the doctors wouldn't LET you go 9 days late on the first, they'd be in there yanking her out by now.

I haven't been... blessed... with knowing anything about a fourth, but around here the doctors wouldn't LET you go 9 days late on the first, they'd be in there yanking her out by now.

Saw the doctor yesterday. If no baby this weekend, they will induce 1:00 AM Monday. And blessed is truly the word. ;)

Yotes @ Lions - www.youtube.com

My favorite part...

GO SIOUX

Speaking of the Yotes...an unconfirmed comment by Coach Meierkort on the Yote Board.

Regarding Culver-Stockton @ Yotes:

Coach Meirerkort said that this game will be a masterpiece of trying to stay under 100 points. He also added that there's still "art" in that.

If it's true...that's some good smack!

I have a feeling this game is going to be similar to when we used to play UMD or Mankato when they had the pass-on-every-down offenses. SE Louisiana threw for 377 yards against FBS Louisiana Tech today. They haven't been able to put up much in the way of rushing yards so far, UND is tough against the run, and the Sioux obviously struggled in the second half to stop the pass against Idaho St. Plus, the health of our starting corners is questionable. So all things point to passing, passing and more passing by SE Louisiana. The good news is that if USD could come within a few feet of winning there, and the Coyotes have struggled to come away with road wins against anybody the past several years, we should at least have a decent shot of coming away with a win. I definitely expect this to be the toughest test of the year so far.

I have a feeling this game is going to be similar to when we used to play UMD or Mankato when they had the pass-on-every-down offenses. SE Louisiana threw for 377 yards against FBS Louisiana Tech today. They haven't been able to put up much in the way of rushing yards so far, UND is tough against the run, and the Sioux obviously struggled in the second half to stop the pass against Idaho St. Plus, the health of our starting corners is questionable. So all things point to passing, passing and more passing by SE Louisiana. The good news is that if USD could come within a few feet of winning there, and the Coyotes have struggled to come away with road wins against anybody the past several years, we should at least have a decent shot of coming away with a win. I definitely expect this to be the toughest test of the year so far.

Just got back from our game with La Tech...outplayed them most of the night...we had 300 yards of offense in the first half alone...didn't have the ball much in the 2nd half but still moved it when we had it...essentially got beat on special teams and back to back fumbles to start second half...they had a punt return and blocked FG return for TDs...they scored 10 points off turnovers to start the third quarter...we moved it almost at will through the air...ran it well too but just didn't run it much...defense played well but gave up some big plays...very physical game...slobberknockers all over the place...no serious injuries but we're banged up...so is La Tech.

Look forward to hosting the Sioux next week...should be a good one.

slulionsfan:

I see where Southeastern Louisiana was picked seventh (out of eight teams) in the pre-season Southland Conference polls. In your opinion, was that a reasonable prediction? After the first four weeks of the season, do you think your team has shown to be, in all likelihood, better than the seventh-best team in the conference?

GeauxSioux:

Congrats on the new addition. I'll miss the game too, as recently relocated to East Tennessee. Have to wait for an Appalachian State game or a Nat Championship game in Chatanooga. :D:D

slulionsfan:

I see where Southeastern Louisiana was picked seventh (out of eight teams) in the pre-season Southland Conference polls. In your opinion, was that a reasonable prediction? After the first four weeks of the season, do you think your team has shown to be, in all likelihood, better than the seventh-best team in the conference?

Obviously I'm biased but I thought we should have been at least 4th, but I definitely understand why we were picked 7th...just about everybody in the conference returns their QB plus most of their starters, and we did finish 7th last year...however, we were literally TWO PLAYS from second place, and four of our five conference losses went down to the wire...

We dominated Central Arkansas at home but gave up a punt return TD, a safety and didn't make a 4th and one with two minutes to play in the game that would have iced it...not to mention we were up 16-7 just before the half, but fumbled deep in our territory trying to run out the clock...they scored with about 7 seconds left...against Sam Houston, we got stuffed on a 4th and goal from the one-inch line and probably win that game had we made it...also should have beaten NW State and Texas State...McNeese was the only game where we were thoroughly outplayed...when we got to conference play, we routinely played as many as seven true freshmen on defense at one time.

We've arguably recruited as well anybody in Southland (and FCS for that matter) the last three years and it's finally starting to show on the field...we're still very young with just 12 seniors and 15 juniors and play a lot of freshmen and sophomores in the two deep...we're probably still a year away from really making a push to win the league but I think we'll make good headway this year...I don't like making guarantees but I feel confident we won't finish 7th.

Here's the skinny on this game........

SLU Record: 2-2

UND Record: 4-0

SLU has beaten Alcorn St. and South Dakota, and lost to 2 FBS teams Mississippi St. and Louisiana Tech

SLU is giving up 33.2 points/game, UND is scoring 38.5 points/game

SLU is scoring 25.2 points/game, UND is giving up 18.2 points/game

SLU is averaging 69.5 rushing yds/game, UND is giving up 66.5 rushing yds/game

SLU is averaging 269 passing yds/game, UND is giving up 266 passing yds/game

UND is averaging 196 rushing yds/game, SLU is giving up 192 rushing yds/game

UND is averaging 245 pass yds/game, SLU is giving up 225 pass yds/game

SLU is giving up 76 yds/game to penalties, UND is giving up 29

Both teams are +4 in turnover margin

Hey, slulionsfan, what is the proper acronym to refer to your team by: SLU, SELU, or SELA? I've seen all three thrown out?

Well, truth be known, we prefer to simply go by "Southeastern" and our administration has discouraged all use of acronyms when it comes to official documents, conversation or use in athletic events...if a news organization needs to use an acronym for space purposes, SLU would be preferred though some, like ESPN, tend to use SELU or SELA to differentiate us from Saint Louis U...SELU is our official web address.

Just noticed this in the game notes:

"Mark Newbill (So.)

28 Solo, 12 Assisted, Sacks 7, INT 0, Breakups 0, FF 1"

SEVEN sacks? That would be every single sack on the team per the stats rundown...perhaps that's an error. If it is true, I hope we're putting a red sticker on his helmet to keep track of him or something.