SiouxSports.com Forum

Old Time Wrestling

GeauxSioux

One of my co-workers and I were just discussing watching wrestling when we were young kids. I still remember the day when I was about 6 when I learned from older wiser cousin that it was all fake. I didn't want to believe it, but when he showed me what was "really" going on, I had to accept it. Do you remember names like Verne Gagne, Haystack Calhoun, Dr. X??

Verne Gagne was one of my favorites. :)

Enjoy....Lee Henning vs Verne Gagne

One of my co-workers and I were just discussing watching wrestling when we were young kids. I still remember the day when I was about 6 when I learned from older wiser cousin that it was all fake. I didn't want to believe it, but when he showed me what was "really" going on, I had to accept it. Do you remember names like Verne Gagne, Haystack Calhoun, Dr. X??

Verne Gagne was one of my favorites. :)

MadDog - Crusher - Bruiser - and the very capable Kenny Jay

Verne Gagne was one of my favorites. :huh:

Before my time but classic stuff...

I started to laugh when Gagne had to tap Henning on the side (~3:00) to remind him to put his arms back so he could finish THE CRAB.

???

I first realized that Professional Wrestling was fake when I saw Hulk Hogan at the ND State Fair back in the 80's. I swear they used ketchup packets for blood...you could see them.

:)

MadDog - Crusher - Bruiser - and the very capable Kenny Jay

Did he ask to be known as the "very capable..."? :) I remember it like it was yesterday.

When I was in elementary school, our school had no nickname and we had a contest to come up with one. One of my friends was a huge wrestling fan and thought the Lewis and Clark Crushers would be great, so all of the boys in the 5th and 6th grade voted for it. Somehow we ended up with the Lions.

I don't think the faculty was supportive of his idea. By the way, his son now plays hockey for the Sioux. ???

Oh man did I start to laugh when reading this. I loved wrestling when I was young.

Once, we went to a show in Crookston, Fosston or another small town to watch a show one night. It had the whole gang of Crusher (my favorite) Bruiser, Vachon, Bockwinkle, his manager, etc. About 10 -12 guys total. After the matches I wanted an autograph so my dad stood with me while we waited. Only one came out and right away went outside. So, my dad, followed him outside and said "Hey, could you sign this for my boy". It was the Crusher and he asked me how I was doin. I responded with "why didn't' you beat him up more? He said maybe next time? I then looked over and seen all the guys climbing into a large van together. I looked up at him and asked "Why are all of you guys getting in the same car" with a weird look on my face. He responded "The dirty bums needed a ride home cause they got beat up so bad and walked off".

That day was like yesterday....I think that hurt more than finding out who Santa Clause was.

You guys just made my day!! Thanks

Ok....here we go...

Back when I grew up in Denver, I had a part-time gig as a ring 2nd for the AWA, we used to walk guys to the ring, and take back their robes, feathers, flags ect...

Then at the end of the matches we would usher them back to the locker room....Sometimes getting pelted with batteries and beer.....lol

Got to see 1st hand however some of the Greats, Dr. X, Butcher and Mad Dog Vachon, Dino Bravo, Sgt Slaughter, Adrain Adonis, Jesse the Body, Greg and Verne Gagne, Nick Bockwinkle, Big John Stud, Andre the Giant, Hulk Hogan, Nick Bockwinkle, Larry the Ax and Curt Henning, Rick Martel, Jimmy Superfly Snuka, Rick Flair.....

Great Memories....

Andre the Giant was the best, when he was in the locker rooms and drinking cokes and playing cards.....In his hands a regular Coke can looked like a 5oz juice can and he had trouble holding on to regular size playing cards, because they were too small.....lol

Got to see 1st hand however some of the Greats, Dr. X, Butcher and Mad Dog Vachon, Dino Bravo, Sgt Slaughter, Adrain Adonis, Jesse the Body, Greg and Verne Gagne, Nick Bockwinkle, Big John Stud, Andre the Giant, Hulk Hogan, Nick Bockwinkle, Larry the Ax and Curt Henning, Rick Martel, Jimmy Superfly Snuka, Rick Flair.....

Boy, that list brings back memories.

I remember getting Andre's autograph at a car dealership in bismarck when I was a kid. I remember that the pen I handed him didn't go from one side of his hand to the other.

Used to love the old Gerogia Championship wrestling.

I can remember when a a clothesline, dropkick, or a bodyslam was a finishing move.

Boy, that list brings back memories.

Same.

I remember enjoying the tag team antics of the Von Eric Brothers... I got into wrestling much later than most of those mentioned, but my father educated me in the old greats.

My father knows personally Baron von Raschke.

I enjoyed the days when it was a really big deal to have used a chair in the ring. They used more acrobatic moves, talked less, and wrestled more. I loved that the wrestlers only talked during interviews or specially designated times like the Piper's Pit.

I grew up enjoying wrestlers like Marty Jenetty and Shawn Michaels in the tag team: THe Rockers, Demolition, Legion of Doom, The REd Rooster, Rick "The Anvil" Niedhart, Davy Boy Jones, The Texas Tornado, the Ultimate Warrior, The Iron Sheik, The Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase, Virgil, IRS, Yokozuna, Jake "The SNake" Roberts, Rick Rude, The Bushwhackers!, The Nasty Boys, Mr. Perfect, the original Sting... awesome times.

I can't remember which channel it is on via satellite (Dishnetwork is what my folks have) but every night at 11pm central you can watch old AWA matches.

• 6 months later...

Verne Gagne was one of my favorites. :huh:

Unfortunately...Verne Gagne is back in the spotlight.

In addition to those mentioned above I remember watching the following as a kid on AWA All Star Wrestling. I am sure I am missing alot.

Buck "R & R" Zumhoff, George "Scrap Iron" Gadasky (sp), Freddy "puppy Dog" Peloquin, Ray "the crippler" Stevens, Ken Patera, Nikita Koloff, Brad Rheingans, Larry Zbysko, Sheik Adnan El Kaissey, Jerry Blackwell, Promoter Wally Karbo, Bobby "the brain" Heenen, Superstar Billy Graham, Jim Brunzell, Eric Bischoff, Curt Hennig, Jesse Ventura