SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

I think anyone who is so disgusted that they say they will never go to Sioux football games and will cut off any support for the team should do just that. We don't need fans like that. This is indeed a difficult time to try to schedule games. But to go on and on rehashing the subject when all they are doing is repeating the same thing is boring and unproductive. It just creates a totally negative atmosphere. I for one will support the players and the program by going to games with the attitude that things are going to get a whole lot better with the schedules in the future. I think it is really careless to rip on Brian Faison unless you really know the facts behind each situation. I think we need to trust him.

The new piece here is SD Mines. I think we are all resigned to the fact that this coming year is what it is but we were hopeful things would change in 2012. Some are of the opinion, starting in 2012, there should be no D-II or below games on the schedule. Others look at how most of the BSC teams schedule one of these games a year and understand we may need to as well but are scratching our heads over Mines -- a team currently moving up from NAIA and not an established D-II program with a history of playing UND. Whichever way we fall, I think most of us thought the SD Mines-type games would be a thing of the past starting in 2012.

The other issue -- we have apparently turned down games with NDSU and USD that year. Possibly to play a sixth home game, but perhaps for other reasons. Many believe a road game with them would be preferable to a home game with Mines, particularly if it means an annual or semi-annual series that would bring them to GF next time.

The other issue -- we have apparently turned down games with NDSU and USD that year. Possibly to play a sixth home game, but perhaps for other reasons. Many believe a road game with them would be preferable to a home game with Mines, particularly if it means an annual or semi-annual series that would bring them to GF next time.

This is the boat I'm in. I'd much rather play only 5 games at home in 2012 if it means we can keep the annual UND-USD game going or start an every-other-year series against NDSU. Going every other year with 5 home games just doesn't seem like a big deal to me if it means a quality schedule.

From a financial standpoint, UND could make more money hosting NDSU every fourth year than four straight guaranty games against teams like SD Mines.

Is it any less a perceived pariah to play SD School of Mines and Technology than it would be to play Minot State University? If it's about money, then save the extra costs of paying to bus a team from Rapid City to GF and just keep it in-state and bring in the transitioning school 150 miles down US 2. Or schedule MSU-Moorhead, where the opponent won't even have to be put up in a hotel. Ah, what the hell, schedule UM-Crookston. They are close enough where UND might not even have to provide a post-game meal.

The same 4500 to 6000 (generous? perhaps) fans are going to go to ANY of those games no matter what. It's the fans from 6000 to capacity that you have to pique the interest of. Does scheduling a NAIA to NCAA DII transitioning school from Rapid City that a majority of people didn't even know had a sports program, let alone football program, do that?

Go Sioux!

I've already said Mr. Farion should have canceled the non-money game at Idaho and played NDSU this year. Gene was looking for a game Sept 10th because Georgia Southern backed out. It would have excited the FB base of both schools. As far as playing NDSU in the future - after Mr. Farion and Mussman made such a big deal about playing every year or nothing, I think that ship has sailed.

I've already said Mr. Farion should have canceled the non-money game at Idaho and played NDSU this year. Gene was looking for a game Sept 10th because Georgia Southern backed out. It would have excited the FB base of both schools. As far as playing NDSU in the future - after Mr. Farion and Mussman made such a big deal about playing every year or nothing, I think that ship has sailed.

Except for the "Farion"/Faison mix-up, I agree. Off to shower...

Is it any less a perceived pariah to play SD School of Mines and Technology than it would be to play Minot State University? If it's about money, then save the extra costs of paying to bus a team from Rapid City to GF and just keep it in-state and bring in the transitioning school 150 miles down US 2. Or schedule MSU-Moorhead, where the opponent won't even have to be put up in a hotel. Ah, what the hell, schedule UM-Crookston. They are close enough where UND might not even have to provide a post-game meal.

The same 4500 to 6000 (generous? perhaps) fans are going to go to ANY of those games no matter what. It's the fans from 6000 to capacity that you have to pique the interest of. Does scheduling a NAIA to NCAA DII transitioning school from Rapid City that a majority of people didn't even know had a sports program, let alone football program, do that?

Go Sioux!

They are probably hoping (some) fans don't know SDSM&T is NAIA transitioning to DII. Playing SDSM&T (or Montana Tech by NDSU recently) sounds a lot better to the average (non-message board) fan than playing Mayville or VCSU.

Who said it was ALL about economics and balancing the budget? Obviously, those play a major role. But, it's a little silly to keep hearing fans on this board pontificate like they know all the facts and have all the information. The reality is what most of us know about college football scheduling is what we read in the papers and on these boards.

Anyone, like me, that's posting on here, has never dealt with all the hundreds of issues that go into scheduling sports, especially during a transition and the first years after. We might have 5% of the facts and information needed. For me, it's tiring to hear well meaning, diehard fans like myself making silly statements like "This nonsense has to stop and it has to stop now. " Like we know something and can makes demands. Get a grip folks. Great to be passionate, but no one on here knows enough to make statements like that. I am also a season ticket holder, and saw my first Sioux football game in the mid-1960's. That doesn't make me an expert on how to schedule. I'm just a fan. I remember seeing an awful good Sioux Falls team a few years back come in and beat us. I thought beforehand it might be a pretty weak game. I saw a lowly D2 Sioux team play at Northern Iowa a few years back and beat a team that was in the FCS title game the previous year. What was their AD thinking scheduling a D2 team, didn't he know how much beneath UNI the Sioux were. Turned out to be a very good game and a Sioux victory. All I'm saying is for some on here to take a chill pill and support the Fighting Sioux Football team against whoever they are playing....... Go Sioux!

Sorry, I don't think it was a silly statement at all. I am a Fighting Sioux Coaches Club member and a season ticket holder to both hockey and football and I think I should be able to express my opinion on how these programs are run. That is all I was doing.

What I was really ticked off about is the notion that if fans buy tickets to watch us play (and hopefully beat) lower-level D-II teams, that will somehow encourage Faison to shell out more cash to get some FCS teams to travel to Grand Forks. I just don't see it working; the fans are not that stupid. I also don't see recruits being impressed with it, either. The biggest problem is the neglect and lack of marketing for football over the years that will take some serious time and money to fix. And that will include raising the bar for this program across the board, including scheduling. If we schedule good, solid FCS programs (both home and away), we will attract the best recruits and become an annual playoff contender. That will in turn draw more fans and make football something people look forward to all summer.

This is how we should build the program at the FCS level. And there is no way to build it on the cheap with a bargain basement schedule. I think if we are successful in the Big Sky, we will put ourselves in position to accomplish these goals.

Sorry, I don't think it was a silly statement at all. I am a Fighting Sioux Coaches Club member and a season ticket holder to both hockey and football and I think I should be able to express my opinion on how these programs are run. That is all I was doing.

What I was really ticked off about is the notion that if fans buy tickets to watch us play (and hopefully beat) lower-level D-II teams, that will somehow encourage Faison to shell out more cash to get some FCS teams to travel to Grand Forks. I just don't see it working; the fans are not that stupid. I also don't see recruits being impressed with it, either. The biggest problem is the neglect and lack of marketing for football over the years that will take some serious time and money to fix. And that will include raising the bar for this program across the board, including scheduling. If we schedule good, solid FCS programs (both home and away), we will attract the best recruits and become an annual playoff contender. That will in turn draw more fans and make football something people look forward to all summer.

This is how we should build the program at the FCS level. And there is no way to build it on the cheap with a bargain basement schedule. I think if we are successful in the Big Sky, we will put ourselves in position to accomplish these goals.

Obviously you have you right to any opinion you want. My point is none of us have enough information to know completely and exactly how the schedule comes to be what it is.

What I thought was silly is that you somehow imply you know more about proper college football scheduling than the people that do it for a living. The comment, "This nonsense has to stop and it has to stop now", is like you can't believe that the AD doesn't know what you know. To me that's kind of a ...........I've never scheduled college football, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night type of comment.

For a little perspective on how terrible attendance has been, UND football average home game attendance for 2010 would put us 3rd highest in the Big Sky, behind only the 2 Montana schools. Of course it can always be better and it will certainly improve. Better days are ahead. I just would like to see things more positive and reality based on here. For me personally, I'm going to continue to be a season ticket holder and a donor to UND athletics. And when I go to the Alerus this fall, I'll be going to see the UND Fighting Sioux football team, regardless of who they are playing.

I think anyone who is so disgusted that they say they will never go to Sioux football games and will cut off any support for the team should do just that. We don't need fans like that. This is indeed a difficult time to try to schedule games. But to go on and on rehashing the subject when all they are doing is repeating the same thing is boring and unproductive. It just creates a totally negative atmosphere. I for one will support the players and the program by going to games with the attitude that things are going to get a whole lot better with the schedules in the future. I think it is really careless to rip on Brian Faison unless you really know the facts behind each situation. I think we need to trust him.

Unless we really know the facts of the situation? Should gopher fans just trust Maturi and not rip him because they don't know all the facts while the program goes down the toilet? What about the USC athletic director prior to the NCAA sanctions? Fans should trust the AD and hand over their money like good zombies right up until he's gone along with the BB and FB coach? Not being an employee of the athletic department doesn't preclude valid criticism of it.

You may be bored but many of the rest of us are engaged on this topic. May I suggest you go somewhere where you'll be entertained and let those of us who find interest in this topic continue to debate it.

I am all for conversation on a topic but there are a few posters that just keep saying the same thing over and over and that is boring. Faison could very well have made mistakes but without knowing what went behind each decision it it is careless to assume. Scheduling is 2 way street. I just have this feeling people are quick to condemn and maybe don't know everything that went into each decision. Maybe Faison doesn't have the financial freedom to do everything the way everyone wants right now.

I am all for conversation on a topic but there are a few posters that just keep saying the same thing over and over and that is boring. Faison could very well have made mistakes but without knowing what went behind each decision it it is careless to assume. Scheduling is 2 way street. I just have this feeling people are quick to condemn and maybe don't know everything that went into each decision. Maybe Faison doesn't have the financial freedom to do everything the way everyone wants right now.

Then again maybe he does and doesn't care about UND football.

• Downvote 4

• 4 weeks later...

Here's what to expect for annual Big Sky rivals:

UND: NC, MSU

NC: UND, NAU

NAU: NC, SUU

SUU: NAU, WSU

WSU: SUU, ISU

ISU: WSU, PSU

PSU: ISU, EWU

EWU: PSU, UM

UM: EWU, MSU

MSU: UM, UND

Sac: Poly, UCD

UCD: Sac, Poly

Poly: Sac, UCD

What needs to happen for annual UND-Griz games is one more team, so divisional play can happen. If Idaho would have been forced back (if the MWC had taken Utah St and SJSU), the divisions could have been:

North: UND, UM, MSU, IDaho, EWU, NC, ISU

South: WSU, SUU, NAU, PSU, Davis, Poly, Sac

The Big Sky followed my recommendations to the letter. :lol:

• 4 months later...

Brian Faison was on the Coach's Show tonight discussing scheduling. He said that North Dakota will be playing Bowling Green in an upcoming season for $350,000. He did not say which year. He said they are also "close" to coming to an agreement with Colorado St. Also said they are "almost there" regarding getting a series going with NDSU, but it will not be every year.................

Brian Faison was on the Coach's Show tonight discussing scheduling. He said that North Dakota will be playing Bowling Green in an upcoming season for $350,000. He did not say which year. He said they are also "close" to coming to an agreement with Colorado St. Also said they are "almost there" regarding getting a series going with NDSU, but it will not be every year.................

I think Darell's head is going to explode if it's not every year. :D

I think Darell's head is going to explode if it's not every year. :D

No. I just say if you want the Nickel then play it every year. I want a Dakota 3 team rotation where we play USD, NDSU, and SDSU once a year and rotate every year. 2012 USD, 2013, NDSU, 2014 SDSU.

After what they did to Idaho...Yikes!!

After hearing the podcast Faison said UND got only 125K for the 2010 game and the 2011 game at Idaho and 275K at Fresno State and he was disappointed with that. I think Bunning got those deals. He was glad to get 350k against Bowling Green. He would like to see Minnesota down the road, but the big talk was with NDSU he said it will be every other year like Gene Taylor wants and not every year like Faison wants. So NDSU's OOC schedule will be vs FBS, vs UND, vs Cupcake U. Then the next year will be NDSU at FBS, vs Cupcake U, vs Cupcake St. Then the following year will be at FBS, at UND, vs cupcake U.*

* that season with 1 home OOC game is going to get the Bison crowd pissed because they know they could start the year 0-2 (remember NDSU is 0-2 at the Alerus), so enjoy your Wagners, and Cupcake schools now, that is about to end, and I bet GT will do whatever he can to break this deal, like bolt for the FBS.

• 4 weeks later...