SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

That's "Lasso Pete", and no, he's not related to Dale Lennon as far as I know.

He used to be "Pistol Pete" but he was disarmed by those who found a picture of a pistol to be too scary.

I think he looks just like the cowboy singer on the Village People...I sure hope we don't go with something this cheesy as a name or logo!!!

I think if Mussman doesn't pull a decent QB out of the Juco's or somehow transforms one of his current players into a top notch QB, we will be looking for a new coach for the start of our first season in the BSC...Winning anything less than 7 games next year would be considered failure in most of the fans eyes and I agree with the posters that our Defensive talent needs to be much better than it is now considering USD's wideouts are going to kill us next year and anyone who can complete passes of greater than 5 yards will do as well...Oh well, at least we can drink and tailgate before the home games - tends to take the sting out of the losing.

BobIwabuchiFan

I love how this idiot comes on this board trying to ask legit questions but does the back handed slap at the same time. Nothing quite like a person that streams yellow all over themselves. :angry:

Take it easy.....my attempt at a "poke" at UND.....heck my wife went to UND and I give her sh** about that.

Lighten up you guys, no need to call me an idiot or d-bag!

I asked a legit question. Many of you think 7-4 or 8-3 is possible....maybe so. I see 4-6 wins next year.

Take it easy.....my attempt at a "poke" at UND.....heck my wife went to UND and I give her sh** about that.

Lighten up you guys, no need to call me an idiot or d-bag!

I asked a legit question. Many of you think 7-4 or 8-3 is possible....maybe so. I see 4-6 wins next year.

That kind of "poke" at UND is one of the many things that helped give the anti-nickname crowd some traction. It isn't going to be taken lightly on this board.

That kind of "poke" at UND is one of the many things that helped give the anti-nickname crowd some traction. It isn't going to be taken lightly on this board.

Are you kidding me?

My minute little "jab" at some UND humor has nothing to do with your statement of giving traction to the anti-nickname crowd.....

Bisonville posters have more "colorful" exchanges between themselves for heaven's sake. Call NDSU moo U, AC college, whatever you want and I could care less; if I came on here and starting calling posters degratory names along with the institiution then I would be asking for name calling or being banned on here.

Wow, lighten up.......UND posters on BV have made worse comments than I did......geeez!

Are you kidding me?

My minute little "jab" at some UND humor has nothing to do with your statement of giving traction to the anti-nickname crowd.....

Bisonville posters have more "colorful" exchanges between themselves for heaven's sake. Call NDSU moo U, AC college, whatever you want and I could care less; if I came on here and starting calling posters degratory names along with the institiution then I would be asking for name calling or being banned on here.

Wow, lighten up.......UND posters on BV have made worse comments than I did......geeez!

It wasn't just your comment. But one of the complaints of the anti-nickname crowd was the lack of respect for the name (and therefore for the people themselves). They felt that the nickname dehumanized them. Making fun of the nickname just added to that. Some of the examples that they used in their arguments were cases where the nickname was abused by other schools. Your "poke" was a small example. Add to that the fact that emotions are still running high because the nickname is being lost, and you are going to get a reaction. If you were more of a known commodity on this board you might be able to get away with things like that. But there are enough trolls that come through here that comments like yours are called out very quickly. Plus, this isn't BV where they flame away constantly. If you want conversation, that's fine. Leave the digs at the nickname out of it.

It wasn't just your comment. But one of the complaints of the anti-nickname crowd was the lack of respect for the name (and therefore for the people themselves). They felt that the nickname dehumanized them. Making fun of the nickname just added to that. Some of the examples that they used in their arguments were cases where the nickname was abused by other schools. Your "poke" was a small example. Add to that the fact that emotions are still running high because the nickname is being lost, and you are going to get a reaction. If you were more of a known commodity on this board you might be able to get away with things like that. But there are enough trolls that come through here that comments like yours are called out very quickly. Plus, this isn't BV where they flame away constantly. If you want conversation, that's fine. Leave the digs at the nickname out of it.

Fine, points taken.

But that is one thing that BV has.....letting individuals voice or vent their feelings,thoughts,rants.....

Fine, points taken.

But that is one thing that BV has.....letting individuals voice or vent their feelings,thoughts,rants.....

I prefer having a regular discussion, and not having to deal with all of the BS. Most of us are adults and I don't think it's asking too much for people to act like adults. That includes a little civility and no name calling. If you want to rant or vent you can go to BV.

I hope this is just a message board rumor...but the link below seems to indicate that we will have St. Cloud State on our 2011 and 2012 schedule. A D2 game in 2012 wouldn't be acceptable in my book.

http://www.d2message...ead.php?t=38602

Why is it ok for an FCS team like us to play "up" against an FBS team but not ok for a Div. II team to play "up" against an FCS team like us? Would this be a replacement for one of the NAIA or Div. II move-ups, or would this be a 12th game for us next year? I would especially be supportive if this replaces Montana Western. In 2012, that would fill our schedule -- San Diego State, Central Arkansas, St. Cloud plus eight Big Sky games.

Why is it ok for an FCS team like us to play "up" against an FBS team but not ok for a Div. II team to play "up" against an FCS team like us? Would this be a replacement for one of the NAIA or Div. II move-ups, or would this be a 12th game for us next year? I would especially be supportive if this replaces Montana Western. In 2012, that would fill our schedule -- San Diego State, Central Arkansas, St. Cloud plus eight Big Sky games.

The main reason it isn't ok, once we're eligible, is that D2 wins don't count towards the supposed 7 win requirement for the FCS playoffs, whereas FBS teams can count one FCS win towards being bowl eligible. Montana mainly missed the playoffs this year due to only having 6 D1 wins, as their 7th was against a D2. And if it replaces Montana Western or Black Hills or Sioux Falls this year, I'm fine with that. However, it would be nice to have an all Division 1 schedule for 2012 when we're eligible.

The main reason it isn't ok, once we're eligible, is that D2 wins don't count towards the supposed 7 win requirement for the FCS playoffs, whereas FBS teams can count one FCS win towards being bowl eligible. Montana mainly missed the playoffs this year due to only having 6 D1 wins, as their 7th was against a D2. And if it replaces Montana Western or Black Hills or Sioux Falls this year, I'm fine with that. However, it would be nice to have an all Division 1 schedule for 2012 when we're eligible.

Actually, the Griz's losses to Weber State and Cal Poly plus two or three point wins over three lower-level BSC teams had as much to do with it but I get your point....it can be a deal breaker if you're on the bubble. Still, seems like many FCS teams play one FBS team and one Division II team each year. Let's look at Montana and MSU, who we seem most aligned. MSU played Ft. Lewis this year, and Dixie State, Chadron State, Adams State, St. Mary's, Central Washington and Humboldt State this past decade(some more than once) while playing Colorado, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Washington State, Wyoming and Colorado State. One for show, and one for dough. UM has played Western State, Central Washington, Ft. Lewis, Western Washington, etc...as well as Iowa, Hawaii, Idaho, Oregon, and now Tennessee next year. Neither Montana schools seems hesitant about playing a D-II school.

Actually, the Griz's losses to Weber State and Cal Poly plus two or three point wins over three lower-level BSC teams had as much to do with it but I get your point....it can be a deal breaker if you're on the bubble. Still, seems like many FCS teams play one FBS team and one Division II team each year. Let's look at Montana and MSU, who we seem most aligned. MSU played Ft. Lewis this year, and Dixie State, Chadron State, Adams State, St. Mary's, Central Washington and Humboldt State this past decade(some more than once) while playing Colorado, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Washington State, Wyoming and Colorado State. One for show, and one for dough. UM has played Western State, Central Washington, Ft. Lewis, Western Washington, etc...as well as Iowa, Hawaii, Idaho, Oregon, and now Tennessee next year. Neither Montana schools seems hesitant about playing a D-II school.

Montana would have been a playoff team this year if the would have had 1 more DI win...their choice to play a DII game cost them a playoff berth. I personally hope we dont play any sub DI teams after this year.

Montana would have been a playoff team this year if the would have had 1 more DI win...their choice to play a DII game cost them a playoff berth. I personally hope we dont play any sub DI teams after this year.

Weber St. was the only Big Sky team this past season that did not play a sub-DI team.................they played two FBS opponents.

Maybe it did and maybe it didn't. Montana only beat three lower level BCS teams by a combined 8 points, and lost to Weber and Poly. No guarantee they would have won against a FCS team.

Wasn't there talk of dropping SCSU football due to budget cuts? And the person said it was because we have Oct 15th off....that is not a sure thing that we are playing the Huskies.

Yes, but students voted to tax themselves to save the program: http://andrewtmiller.wordpress.com/2010/11/19/st-cloud-students-vote-to-pay-up-save-football

Also, the Northern Sun requires football so St. Cloud might have been booted from the league if they dropped the sport.

Weber State and Northern Arizona have also recently flirted with the idea of dropping football but in Weber's case the alum stepped up and saved the program, and in both cases you'll note they play at least one "body-bag" game a year to help balance the budget.

We absolutely NEED top stop scheduling NAIA and Division II schools. The program gains absolutely nothing from those matchups. If Faison can't figure this out then he needs to get his head out of his ass. This program will never attain the marquee level it's capable of as long as we continue to take such a backwards approach to scheduling. We don't even look like we're trying in comparison to the other Dakota schools.

We absolutely NEED top stop scheduling NAIA and Division II schools. The program gains absolutely nothing from those matchups. If Faison can't figure this out then he needs to get his head out of his ass. This program will never attain the marquee level it's capable of as long as we continue to take such a backwards approach to scheduling. We don't even look like we're trying in comparison to the other Dakota schools.

They gain what is normally an easier home game with a small guarantee. That allows them to bank most of the gate. And if you are having a successful season you will sell a lot of tickets for one of those games. As was said earlier, many FCS teams have one of these games on the schedule. All of the BCS teams did it this year except Weber, and they had 2 BCS games instead. Montana has done it for years and it hasn't hurt their marquee level. The result is the same, a bigger than normal payday. And the other Dakota schools have done it too. You will see one lesser opponent at home on the schedule most years going forward.

Do you honestly think that Faison didn't do everything he could to end up with a much better schedule than this? I dislike it as much as anyone but I bet you Faison dislikes more than any of us!

The good news, as has been expressed often, is that scheduling will be much easier going forward.

The good news, as has been expressed often, is that scheduling will be much easier going forward.

Yep. If the SCS rumor is true, 2012 will look like this:

@ San Diego State (FBS)

Central Arkansas (FCS)

St. Cloud State (Div. II)

plus 8 from these (four home, four away), including likely both Montana schools (one home, one away) -- all FCS:

Montana

Montana State

Eastern Washington

Idaho State

Weber State

Northern Colorado

Southern Utah

Northern Arizona

Sacramento State

UC Davis

Cal Poly

Portland State

Would be better if we could keep the USD game instead of St. Cloud but still a pretty attractive schedule.

Yep. If the SCS rumor is true, 2012 will look like this:

@ San Diego State (FBS)

Central Arkansas (FCS)

St. Cloud State (Div. II)

plus 8 from these (four home, four away), including likely both Montana schools (one home, one away) -- all FCS:

Montana

Montana State

Eastern Washington

Idaho State

Weber State

Northern Colorado

Southern Utah

Northern Arizona

Sacramento State

UC Davis

Cal Poly

Portland State

Would be better if we could keep the USD game instead of St. Cloud but still a pretty attractive schedule.

Agreed. I really think we should keep the series with USD going on a yearly basis.