SiouxSports.com Forum

Intense Politicking allowed Virgina Tech into ACC

star2city

Virginia Tech in the ACC: A Daily Press special report

Interesting series on Va Tech into the ACC and it's major effects on Hokie athletics.

The most important victory in Virginia Tech sports history occurred not in a game witnessed by thousands in the stands and millions on television, but in a conference call so private, details remain murky five years later.

It was June 24, 2003, and for the fifth time in two weeks, the CEOs of the Atlantic Coast Conference's nine universities were attempting to reach consensus on an expansion of the league.

Syracuse, Boston College and Miami had long been the stated targets. But politicking led by then-Virginia Gov. Mark R. Warner had forced University of Virginia President John Casteen to insist that Tech, his school's bitterest rival, be included.

As midnight approached, the nine compromised, offering membership to Tech and Miami. A year later, they invited Boston College to complete the current 12-school conference.

Tech has since soared to new heights.

"I said it then, and I still believe it," Hokies football coach Frank Beamer says. "Joining the ACC is the biggest thing that's happened for Virginia Tech athletics."

So this leads to a theoretical question, would Goetz or Hoeven put enough political pressure on Chapman to vote UND into the Summit?, like Warner did on UVa President Casteen.

Virginia Tech in the ACC: A Daily Press special report

Interesting series on Va Tech into the ACC and it's major effects on Hokie athletics.

So this leads to a theoretical question, would Goetz or Hoeven put enough political pressure on Chapman to vote UND into the Summit?, like Warner did on UVa President Casteen.

I thought the Sioux were going to the BSC?

They wouldn't need to do that.

Chapman will go to bat for Kelley once he sees how much more cooperative he is that previous UND admin.

I think your wrong on this. Saying yes to everything Chapman wants is not being cooperative, only being a stooge. The moment a UND President does something in the interest of UND that Chapman doesn't feel benefits him, then the charges of being uncooperative to the demands of Chapman will be given again. Chapman is only interested in Chapman. I find it hard to believe that he would go to bat for anybody. The ill feelings probably won't go away until Chapman is gone at which times the relationship between the two schools will normalize. The only way I see Chapman going to bat for UND is if the state somehow threatens Chapman (lower funding, removal, etc.) with political pressure. Living near DC, the saga of Virginia Tech and the ACC were daily news reports at the time. The U of Virginia had no desire to bring in Virginia Tech until forced to by political pressure. Hasn't Chapman already been in defiance of the state Board of Education?

Of course, the optimistic view would be that the two universities find a common ground and work together for it. In effect, each is working with the other not for the benefit of the other school but for the benefit of its own school. In this situation, both schools benefit from the closer working relationship.

I think your wrong on this. Saying yes to everything Chapman wants is not being cooperative, only being a stooge. The moment a UND President does something in the interest of UND that Chapman doesn't feel benefits him, then the charges of being uncooperative to the demands of Chapman will be given again. Chapman is only interested in Chapman. I find it hard to believe that he would go to bat for anybody. The ill feelings probably won't go away until Chapman is gone at which times the relationship between the two schools will normalize. The only way I see Chapman going to bat for UND is if the state somehow threatens Chapman (lower funding, removal, etc.) with political pressure. Living near DC, the saga of Virginia Tech and the ACC were daily news reports at the time. The U of Virginia had no desire to bring in Virginia Tech until forced to by political pressure. Hasn't Chapman already been in defiance of the state Board of Education?

Of course, the optimistic view would be that the two universities find a common ground and work together for it. In effect, each is working with the other not for the benefit of the other school but for the benefit of its own school. In this situation, both schools benefit from the closer working relationship.

I find it funny that UND alumni don't like Chapman. He has done nothing to UND. He is outspoken in his support for NDSU and very successful in growing the university. I guess UND feels threatened by NDSU's progress. Sad

I find it funny that UND alumni don't like Chapman. He has done nothing to UND. He is outspoken in his support for NDSU and very successful in growing the university. I guess UND feels threatened by NDSU's progress. Sad

You echo my point. Chapman will do what is best for Chapman. This is not a negative, just an observation of reality. Likewise, I would expect the President of UND to do what is best for him. I would expect if he is to do his job properly, Chapman should be outspoken for NDSU but he also appears to be a loose cannon in the ND university system. Why he should support UND as MplsBison suggests doesn't make sense unless there is something in it for him. Your response suggests that you agree with MplsBison's position.

I'm actually an alumni of the University of Maryland for my undergrad and graduate degrees.

Funny is that Chapman's been allowed to be the "cowboy" of the NDUS system this long.

However, there's a new sheriff in town named Goetz.

No not a new Sheriff but a political stooge. The NDUS has turned that position into a politcal hack. Of course you won't agree since you think it will benefit UND. The Fargo Forum has it right when they had the editorial in yesterday's paper. The NDUS is nothing more then a political machine, they didn't like Paulsen so they ousted him. He made tough decisions but "fair" ones that didn't benefit anyone instiution over the other. We shall see how this new "Sheriff" as you like to call him is but I won't be one bit surprised if and when he turns into a political hack for UND. To Quote the forum

The failure of a selection committee for the North Dakota Board of Higher Education to advance John Q. Paulsen

One thing I think everyone here would agree on. A state with the population of North Dakotas doesn't need 11 higher ed institutions. Talk about a waste of tax payers dollars.

Ya mean we don't need colleges in Bottineau, Williston, Valley City, Mayville, and Devils Lake? ;)

It was bad before, but with IVN and Distance Education and internet courses 11 colleges in ND has become a true anachronism.

No not a new Sheriff but a political stooge. The NDUS has turned that position into a politcal hack. Of course you won't agree since you think it will benefit UND. The Fargo Forum has it right when they had the editorial in yesterday's paper. The NDUS is nothing more then a political machine, they didn't like Paulsen so they ousted him. He made tough decisions but "fair" ones that didn't benefit anyone instiution over the other. We shall see how this new "Sheriff" as you like to call him is but I won't be one bit surprised if and when he turns into a political hack for UND. To Quote the forum

They have it right on the mark.

It's a good thing the Fargo Forum stands up for Paulsen because absolutely no one else does. In fact the Forum should just throw all their journalistic integrity out the window and just let Chapman write and edit all the stories. They should change the colors to green and yellow and throw the Bison logo on the front page. That way no one would be confused into thinking it's a legitimate source of news.

One thing I think everyone here would agree on. A state with the population of North Dakotas doesn't need 11 higher ed institutions. Talk about a waste of tax payers dollars.

I agree 100%. The problem is that these small towns depend on their universities and I can't imagine a political scenario where some of them are shut down.

As far as Hoeven intervening into the conference affiliation issue, I just can't see it. He's been relatively hands-off on the Sioux nickname issue. It doesn't appear that he cares enough about athletics to spend political capital on the issue. I think UND is on its own in finding a conference.

You echo my point. Chapman will do what is best for Chapman. This is not a negative, just an observation of reality. Likewise, I would expect the President of UND to do what is best for him. I would expect if he is to do his job properly, Chapman should be outspoken for NDSU but he also appears to be a loose cannon in the ND university system. Why he should support UND as MplsBison suggests doesn't make sense unless there is something in it for him. Your response suggests that you agree with MplsBison's position.

I'm actually an alumni of the University of Maryland for my undergrad and graduate degrees.

How is Chapman supposed to cooperate with und the past 5 years when all und wanted to do was stay DII? If all ndsu did was to cooperative with und, Chapman would have just said "OK, we'll just stay DII with you in the NCC". What a stupid move that would have been. Why are you questioning Chapman's leadership or motives, when the lack of vision at und is clearly the issue.

How is Chapman supposed to cooperate with und the past 5 years when all und wanted to do was stay DII? If all ndsu did was to cooperative with und, Chapman would have just said "OK, we'll just stay DII with you in the NCC". What a stupid move that would have been. Why are you questioning Chapman's leadership or motives, when the lack of vision at und is clearly the issue.

Help me out on this one ...

Where in gjw's response do find the declaration that Joe C. is "supposed to cooperate with UND..."? Unless my English is failing me, it seems he clearly states that "Chapman should be outspoken for NDSU." (And I'll pass on the pettiness and give the AC all caps.)

I think everyone would hope and expect the president of a university to be a strong advocate for that institution. It's not the campus advocacy but the extra-curricular stuff -- the well-documented, duplicitous effort to torpedo the former chancellor, for example -- that rubs UND (and apparently many neutral parties from elsewhere in the state) the wrong way.

You seem to be turning the situation on its head; I don't hear anyone at UND complaining about the lack of support from NDSU. But NDSU fanatics continue in a five-year snit because UND "didn't support" NDSU when it bolted the NCC for Division 1.