SiouxSports.com Forum

Worthy Opponents

SportsDoc

You don't think the Final Five championship game is important, but you expect someone else to treat the 3rd place game from the same tournament as "balls to the wall" important, ignoring the fact that there was a more important game to be played after? If there is a difference it stems from hypocrisy. :D

If my memory serves me correct that following game for you guys didn't turn out to well now did it? let me see the team that you played in that non important third place game who actually cared about it did what after that,hmmmm? oh yeah the Badgers won it all. :D

If my memory serves me correct that following game for you guys didn't turn out to well now did it? let me see the team that you played in that non important third place game who actually cared about did what after that,hmmmm? oh yeah the Badgers won it all. :D

Ah, so because the Badgers took that game seriously they won the NC? It wasn't the coaching, the great goaltending nor the talented and opportunistic counter-attacking offense, it was the emphasis placed on a game two weeks prior? The lengths to which you guys will go to manufacture distaste for Lucia knows no bounds. :lol:

Anyway this is boring - have a great Memorial Day weekend.

Bet your great at three card monty. :lol:

My point is the Goofs' coach does not expect his team to play well every time they hit the ice. That's a big difference between the Sioux hockey team and, most likely, every other college hockey team and your team. But, go ahead, keep spinning. It's not going to change what tDon and Goof hockey players have publicly stated about how they play hockey.

My point is the Goofs' coach does not expect his team to play well every time they hit the ice. That's a big difference between the Sioux hockey team and, most likely, every other college hockey team and your team. But, go ahead, keep spinning. It's not going to change what tDon and Goof hockey players have publicly stated about how they play hockey.

So according to you the Gophers are the only team in college hockey that don't expect to play well every game? God you're delusional. And also you can't forget that the Gophers always play the Friday night semifinal so if they lose it makes it much tougher to play a third place game the next afternoon as opposed to losing Friday afternoon. This year was a good example of that. The Sioux were in a much better place mentally to play that third place game than CC was considering they lost in overtime the night before.

So according to you the Gophers are the only team in college hockey that don't expect to play well every game? God you're delusional.

Read the frikkin' thread and what I posted before you start calling me names.

tDon and some of his players publically stated they don't play to win a game if it's not important. There's a big difference between saying they don't intentionally play well and trying to play well and not succeeding.

And for the record I haven't called you an idiot for responding to my posts without reading what I posted.

tDon and some of his players publically stated they don't play to win a game if it's not important. There's a big difference between saying they don't intentionally play well and trying to play well and not succeeding.

They certainly have, more than once. The one that really sticks out is the sleep walk game, just one week before they played exactly the same way in the regional vs. Holy Cross. It would seem that they carried the unimportant attitude into the next week.

You don't think the Final Five championship game is important, but you expect someone else to treat the 3rd place game from the same tournament as "balls to the wall" important, ignoring the fact that there was a more important game to be played after? If there is a difference it stems from hypocrisy. :lol:

I can't take anything you say seriously...you sold your soul to the devil a long time ago, its obvious :D...If your team isn't going to go balls to wall every game then that "Pride on Ice" is just a load of shi*...:)

Read the frikkin' thread and what I posted before you start calling me names.

And for the record I haven't called you an idiot for responding to my posts without reading what I posted.

What's so wrong about buckysieve calling you God? :lol:

So, are you saying that The Sioux coaches or players have never said publically that " We did not come out to play or our heads were not in the game, etc". Coaches, players (including Gopher and Sioux coaches and players ) and have said that after a loss.

So, are you saying that The Sioux coaches or players have never said publically that " We did not come out to play or our heads were not in the game, etc". Coaches, players (including Gopher and Sioux coaches and players ) and have said that after a loss.

They may have said that after a loss, but not before a game like the goofers

They may have said that after a loss, but not before a game like the goofers

Could you please show me ( a link ) where a player publically stated that they did not try to win a game. I know Lucia said that the third place game at the final 5 is not important ( which as a paying fan I disagree with ) but where did he say that he did not try to win the game.

It could be worse...the gophers could have laid an egg in a national semi-final game this year, instead of the all important third place game in the conference tourney. If only my team could be perfect like the infallible Sioux :lol:

This reminds me of 3rd grade..

Yes, you did.

No, I didn't.

Did too!

Did not!

Dummy!

Putz!

Could you please show me ( a link ) where a player publically stated that they did not try to win a game. I know Lucia said that the third place game at the final 5 is not important ( which as a paying fan I disagree with ) but where did he say that he did not try to win the game.

They can't.

It could be worse...the gophers could have laid an egg in a national semi-final game this year, instead of the all important third place game in the conference tourney. If only my team could be perfect like the infallible Sioux :lol:

This reminds me of 3rd grade..

Yes, you did.

No, I didn't.

Did too!

Did not!

Dummy!

Putz!

Could be worse...the sioux could have laid an egg the whole season and not show up at all and finished 7th place in the WCHA.

No one said that. Real slow now, read what was posted, not what you're spinning!

the ---- sioux ----could ----have---- laid ----an---- egg ----the---- whole---- season---- and---- not---- show---- up---- at---- all---- and ----finished ----7th ----place ----in---- the ----WCHA.

See, the NCAA is not mentioned. :lol:

So now not winning the NC is ok in Grand Forks as long as they don't also finish 7th in the WCHA.

You are the master of spin. The ultimate goal of any season is to win a national championship. However, making it to the NCAA tournament is a successful season, especially if you finished in the top 1/2 of the WCHA, and making it to the Frozen Four is a very successful season.

You cannot compare the Gophers' season to the Sioux season, or credibly argue that this year was anything other than a disappointing season for the Gophers. Yes, they made the NCAA tournament, so it would be a successful season for many programs (St. Cloud?) but being one and done coupled with a 7th place WCHA finish is not a measure of success for programs like Minnesota or UND. I expect Minnesota to be back in the thick of things next year. All programs have ups and downs. The Sioux stumbled in 2002 after a very successful run from 1997 to 2001. They have had another nice run despite not winning a national championship since 2000, but they will have a down year as well, perhaps next year.

Seriously, can we stop this petty snipping? It really is getting old.

See, the NCAA is not mentioned.

I'll address this retort with the following:

You cannot compare the Gophers' season to the Sioux season, or credibly argue that this year was anything other than a disappointing season for the Gophers.

I didn't say the Gophers' season was successful or less than the desired result, but that (shocker moment approaching) misses the point. That point was that I don't measure the Gophers' season-long success vis a vis the Sioux, which is what 'cia' did in reverse by saying, "Could be worse blah, blah, blah...". If the Gophers don't play well I couldn't care less what any other team in the country did because it won't make me feel better about the lack of success, and that my fellow college hockey fan is no spin.

You will never convince me that the WCHA Final 5 is meaningful unless it is for momentum for the NCAA tourney. Only SCSU would hang a banner for winning the Final 5.

It's the only thing we've won in 20 years. I think it deserves a banner.

It sounds much better when spoken from that perspective. :D

SCSU Athletics: Takin' what they can get for the past 20+ years.

And that makes it sound so much worse. :sad:

At least we have the balls to play you guys in football. Glad we could help old UND out.

So if the Final Five is not important, then it wouldn't have mattered if we had lost in the first round to Michigan Tech (which we came very close to doing) because we would have qualified for the NCAA tournament anyway? :D

It does matter if you make it to St. Paul or not. I won't elevate it to the same level as the Frozen Four (like fans of the Beanpot do), but it's a great tournament stacked with some of the best talent in the nation year after year. I have reserved seats and I am not giving them up for anything. Everyone likes to point out the Denver example in 2005, but that is an exception to the rule. You can improve your Pairwise ranking by getting to the Final Five and winning at least two games because you are playing nationally-ranked teams who are either going to be in the NCAA's or are in contention for a spot. Tell Coach Hakstol and the players it doesn't matter and they probably would look at you like you've lost your mind.

In my opinion, we should hang banners in The Ralph for Final Five championships won, along with the NCAA and WCHA regular season banners. No runner-up or participation banners, though. That honor is reserved for St. Cloud State! :sad: