SiouxSports.com Forum

Blais' Future at UND

ScottM

An interesting article in the Hurled about Blais' contract. It sounds like he's pretty anxious to "get pen to paper" especially after Lucia, Sandelin, etc. have been given nice deals. So, is Blais posturing to move the process along or has Thomas effectively ignored "The Coach" at UND with his reliance on budget, reviews, etc. ? :blush::D

Hurled

I read the article this morning also. I am just wondering why something like this is in the paper? If Blais has a gripe about contract negotiations why say something to the paper and not go in and talk to Thomas?

Don't get me wrong . . . Blais is THE coach at UND . . . but from the way it sounds the other coaches don't have their contracts yet because Thomas said that they are in the process of being evaluated. Granted Blais' resume speaks for itself . . . but why gripe to the paper when you don't get your way instead of going to your boss first?

Then again . . . maybe he did go to Thomas first . . . but this going to the paper should be below Blais . . . am I wrong?

It seems like Thomas is making a lot of people mad lately. He also doesn't appear to get anything done effectively until the general public knows. I don't know any of the inside details, it just seems lately that he can't get the job done until everyone knows about the particular situation.

Blais' frustration is pretty evident in the article. Justifiably so, IMO. Few things are worse at any job than getting jerked around about your future. Given how public the other WCHA coaches' deals have been lately, you'd think Thomas would have at least penciled in some numbers and passed them over. If Thomas thinks he's going to save a few $$$ by making some meely-mouthed comments about getting around to it and then sitting there until June 30 ... he'd better get his own resume ready if Blais leaves as a result. :glare:

Not that I am a fan of Blais bringing this sort of thing to light in the paper, as someone said earlier, but there could be another angle.

Remember the comments about Blais promising to the parents of Parise and Murray? that he would be the coach as long as their kids are playing at UND? If this is true, this could be his way of "alerting" these concerned parents to the situation, resulting in some communication with Roger Thomas about how important it is to lock him up.

Still, I'd rather not read about it.

This is a terrible, pointless article; no surprise it's coming from Virg. Apparently, anytime something negative comes out of Dean's mouth, Virg is there to broadcast it to the world.

taz not impressed

This is a terrible, pointless article; no surprise it's coming from Virg.  Apparently, anytime something negative comes out of Dean's mouth, Virg is there to broadcast it to the world.

taz not impressed

It's not Virg's problem...Dean knew exactly what he was doing when talking to Virg.

Generally, I'm not a big fan of contract negotiations through the media. However, if RT is not communicating -- at least informally -- with DB, then I guess DB has to do what he has to do. Too bad though really. Hopefully something gets done and gets done fast.

Guys - I agree that the position of Head Hockey Coach is more important than any of the other Head Coaching jobs at the University- because it is our only DI sport and hockey is such an income-producer. I also agree that Blais is an excellent coach. However, he needs to grow up a bit and not always take his concerns to the press.

Eddie Schultz was absolutely out-of-line in his comments about Dean a few months ago but it was ludicrous that Dean stooped to Eddie's level by crying about it in the press. The contract situation is a more important issue - but he handled it in a similar manner. Not very professionally!

He has also been close to crossing the line with comments about recruits, etc.

I personally don't want Blais to leave but there will come a time, probably sooner rather than later, when it is time for him to move on just like it was for Gino a few years ago. Replacing Gino was not a popular move but it certainly was a good one. I think Dean may be getting a bit complacent and bored with his job. If he left, it would not be the end of the world! I think Cary Eades or a number of others could do an excellent job as the Head Hockey Coach at the University of North Dakota.

I think Cary Eades or a number of others could do an excellent job as the Head Hockey Coach at the University of North Dakota.

I doubt that Eades is going to be the next coach at UND. There are many would probably be ahead of him as a candidate. I am sure that Sandelin for one would get a look and would probably be a top candidate, Steve Johnson would be another. UND is a high profile program so UND is going to have to have a high profile person to coach...

I don't blame Blaiser for being upset. If Blaiser leaves, you might see Thomas move on too, I wouldn't be surprised if Roger would shown the door if he botched this one. Dean is very popular around Grand Forks and the WCHA, jerking Blais around or putting him on the same par as the Division two coaches at UND is not fair, or career enhancing.

We certainly do not need to debate who would be the next UND coach. I certainly agree that there would likely be many credible candidates before Eades. I would think Sandelin would come back in a "New York minute" if offered the UND job.

I have to agree with 'DMB' on this one. There are ways to handle things, and ways not to handle things. Bringing the press into it falls in the latter catagory. Blaise knows when contracts come out, and certain procedures must be followed. He's acting like a child at Christmas who wants to open his presents early. Yes, he's the number one coach at UND. This doesn't allow him to make/ change policy. Maybe it's time for Deano to take a trip to the lake in his new boat that they bought for him and chill the hell out. (by the way, I saw Dale Lennon's boat in his back yard. What a piece of junk)

Maybe Roger is going to add up the 10% increases in Fighting Sioux Club fees first, (see students? we get hosed too! :angry: ) to see how much extra $$$ Dean gets. Patience, Dean. Now go chase some walleye on Lake of the Woods. :glare:

*Edited by me...

Maybe DB didn't invite the press into the discussions. In that case, a "no comment" would have worked fine.

I think Blaiser will get an extension, but if not I am sure UND will be able to find a coach that can continue the winning tradition. My bet would be someone like Sandelin or Steve Johnson or maybe a high profile coach.

I know one thing the Goaltending situation at UND has got to get better, and if that means getting a goalie consultant and or a sports psychologis I think UND better consider it too...

It is premature to believe that Dean Blais is going anywhere. He is the coach as long as he wants to coach. For anyone who questions his effectiveness, remember that he turned around a program in 1994-1995 that had 3 straight losing seasons under Gino. Gino has consecutive records of 17-21-1, 12-25-1, and 11-23-4. More importantly, the fans were no longer coming despite having one of the best players in the country in Greg Johnson. You could throw a rock in any direction and stand a very good chance of not hitting anyone.

Blais won a national championship in his 3rd year, 1996-7, and made the NCAA tournament 5 straight years from 1996-2001. He won WCHA titles in 1996-7, 1997-8, 1998-9 and 2000-01. He also won 2 national championships and took 2nd in 2000-01. They strugged with a young team in 2001-02 that went 16-19-2 (of lot of which was due to goaltending) but returned to the NCAA tournament last year with a 26-12-5 record. That is very good by any program's standards.

For DMB to imply that the situation is comparable to Gino is not accurate. Gino had 3 straight losing seasons where they were horrible. Plus, he had been there 15 years. Blais is still winning despite losing top assistants like Mark Osiecki, Scott Sandelin and Lee Davidson. He and John Marks were also a big reason for Gino's success. Blais will leave on his own terms when he is ready to go.

IF and when Dean Blais decides it is time to go, Steve Johnson is the clear frontrunner.

I sincerely hope that Hakstol is not in the running. He is the person that did not recruit Danny Irmen until AFTER he accepted a scholarship offer from the Gophers, 2 years ago said that Ballard was not in the same class as Roche and Leopold (2 championships isn't bad) and still has not recruited a player with Ballard's skills that can rush the puck (with all due respect to Andy Schneider), and has ticked off some recruits with his arrogance. If you have ever met the guy or had kids in UND camps, I believe you would know where I am coming from. I am not a fan of Hakstol, and I personally think that Hakstol is a huge drop-off from Osiecki and Sandelin. It was Blais that got Parise and Murray to come to UND. They landed these major recruits despite Hakstol. The only thing Hakstol has going for him is that he dates Tim O'Keefe's daughter.

Steve Johnson is a Grand Forks kid and former Sioux great, a consistent winner at Lincoln, and very well-liked by his players. I heard from Potulny's uncle that if Steve Johnson were the coach, Ryan would have come to UND even though his brother was at Minnesota.

The only thing Hakstol has going for him is that he dates Tim O'Keefe's daughter.

He will be married in August.

I did know about his attitude around kids (people in general). Just wondering if anyone else felt that way.

Sometimes that is what people hid behind when something else is lacking.

skateshattrick - Please don't misunderstand my statement. I certainly did not mean to compare Blais' recent performance to that of Gino in his last couple of years. There is no comparison!

My implication was that many people were very upset to see Gino go and didn't think it was good for the program. Blais came in and has done a great job. I do not want him to leave. But, if he would, I don't think it would be the end of the world. There are some extremely talented candidates who would love the job.

I fully realize that I was the one who first made this point - that we wouldn't need to tear down REA if Blais left. But, I think we should quick talking about it because I don't see it happening anytime soon.