SiouxSports.com Forum

Awesome Letter

star2city

Sioux: Embrace Culture

When our culture and identity were threatened, we retaliated and kept those ill feelings for more than a century. Some still are seeking vengeance through this logo. Eventually, one of our cultures has to say enough is enough and start trying to improve our social environment.

The Standing Rock tribe should initiate this process. What more honorable act could we commit? I

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well written article. I hope it was also printed in the local (Fort Yates) newspaper.

That is a terrific article by Steve Fool Bear. The only problem is that he uses too much common sense...the Sioux nickname issue has nothing to do with common sense.

What does it means to be Sioux? Throughout history, many cultures have stood out among the rest, including warrior cultures that were unique and unwavering. These cultures were both feared and admired by their enemies and have forever earned their places in history: the Spartans of Greece, the Samurai of Japan and the Sioux of North America.

There we go, our new nickname! :D

• 4 weeks later...
I'm afraid you are exactly right :silly:

It's one opinion by a mamber of the Standing Rock tribe. Let me tell you there is a difference between that tribe and the Spirit Lake tribe. There are alot more people from the SLT who go to UND or are alumni than there are from the SRT. That makes a big difference because more SLT members have experienced the prejudice/ignorance about this issue than SRT members have. Obviously, any letter or support from a "sioux" is going to be awesome, and my point of veiw will be regarded as BS.

It's one opinion by a mamber of the Standing Rock tribe. Let me tell you there is a difference between that tribe and the Spirit Lake tribe. There are alot more people from the SLT who go to UND or are alumni than there are from the SRT. That makes a big difference because more SLT members have experienced the prejudice/ignorance about this issue than SRT members have. Obviously, any letter or support from a "sioux" is going to be awesome, and my point of veiw will be regarded as BS.

Hmm. I wonder why Ron His Horse Is Thunder is so afraid of putting it to a vote then. I wonder why one person wrote in to the GF Herald expressing opposition to a vote on the Spirt Lake Reservation after Myra announced that it could go to a tribal-wide vote. I respect the heck out of Myra because she's willing to let the tribal members express their opinions collectively, even though she's against the nickname. She does not subscribe to Star Chamber Democracy like RHHT. If you're so confident about tribal opposition you probably would not mind a vote to validate your position would you?

Hmm. I wonder why Ron His Horse Is Thunder is so afraid of putting it to a vote then. I wonder why one person wrote in to the GF Herald expressing opposition to a vote on the Spirt Lake Reservation after Myra announced that it could go to a tribal-wide vote. I respect the heck out of Myra because she's willing to let the tribal members express their opinions collectively, even though she's against the nickname. She does not subscribe to Star Chamber Democracy like RHHT. If you're so confident about tribal opposition you probably would not mind a vote to validate your position would you?

It's not up to Myra or RHHT to vote. If the PEOPLE want to put it to a vote, it would happen. Let me tell you if it were put to a vote today it wouldn't pass on Spirit Lake. I've been talking to alot of family and freinds about this issue and most really didn't have an opinion until I expressed my point of veiw and my experiences in GF when I was going to school at UND. Take my word as someone who has lived on Spirit Lake all of my life: IT WILL NOT PASS!!

It's not up to Myra or RHHT to vote. If the PEOPLE want to put it to a vote, it would happen. Let me tell you if it were put to a vote today it wouldn't pass on Spirit Lake. I've been talking to alot of family and freinds about this issue and most really didn't have an opinion until I expressed my point of veiw and my experiences in GF when I was going to school at UND. Take my word as someone who has lived on Spirit Lake all of my life: IT WILL NOT PASS!!
It has been the opinion of most of the supporters of the name that it is a small group that object to the name. If indeed it is a majority on both Standing Rock and Spirit Lake that object and their votes confirm that, UND should change the name and move on.

t has been the opinion of most of the supporters of the name that it is a small group that object to the name. If indeed it is a majority on both Standing Rock and Spirit Lake that object and their votes confirm that, UND should change the name and move on.

I completely agree with this statement.

fourwindsboy, I'm curious about what your experiences were at UND that you are talking about.

I completely agree with this statement.

fourwindsboy, I'm curious about what your experiences were at UND that you are talking about.

Let them vote on it. If the votes come out against, fine. The only poll ever done on this subject, nationwide, identified at 90% of NAs either do not oppose or don't care about NA nicknames in sports. If the nickname opposition is so confident that most NAs are against it, a vote should not be discouraged.

Let them vote on it. If the votes come out against, fine. The only poll ever done on this subject, nationwide, identified at 90% of NAs either do not oppose or don't care about NA nicknames in sports. If the nickname opposition is so confident that most NAs are against it, a vote should not be discouraged.

I think that is a good idea as well...

....most really didn't have an opinion until I expressed my point of veiw and my experiences in GF when I was going to school at UND. Take my word as someone who has lived on Spirit Lake all of my life: IT WILL NOT PASS!!

Here we go again! One speaking for all tribal members and one alluding to 'experiences in GF and UND'. So, pray, tell, what happened to you in GF and at UND as a direct result of the Fighting Sioux name and logo??

Here we go again! One speaking for all tribal members and one alluding to 'experiences in GF and UND'. So, pray, tell, what happened to you in GF and at UND as a direct result of the Fighting Sioux name and logo??

Wouldn't it be a result of racism and not the name?

It's not up to RHHT to vote.

So then why is RHHT not letting it come to a vote? It would appear that he isn't letting them vote. I think a vote would be the best way to

solve this.

It's evident that there are a very large number of your constituents who don't agree with what is happening. It's obvious this debate is split; I'm sure as the highest ranking officer of the Standing Rock Sioux Nation, you would want to represent us accurately. After all; it is your job as our democratic leader to represent the majority, a vote would settle the issue once and for all.

I was going to reply to you and goon's requests to site my experiences at UND but I can't bring myself to respond to persons who would refer to themselves as "Goon" and "Goon squad". Your monkers give me and idea of your mindset and no thanks!

I was going to reply to you and goon's requests to site my experiences at UND but I can't bring myself to respond to persons who would refer to themselves as "Goon" and "Goon squad". Your monkers give me and idea of your mindset and no thanks!

Really then you have no idea what a goon is do you. It is a hockey player that is know for their propensity to get into fights and is the teams enforcer that protects the skilled players. Goons are not known for scoring a lot of goals it has nothing to do with Goon squad. My friends gave me the name when we played hockey in intramurals because I wasn't the best hockey player on the team and I sat in the penatly box a good deal of time.

Instead of tap dancing why don't you bring some of this stuff to the fore front instead of making accusations against people you have never met or have any idea who you are talking to or their back ground. Yeah nice try; is the Nazi reference coming soon? Again you have no right to go around throwing accusations around I will not allow you to define me. Keep it up buddy.

Goon squad is a term used in reference to many government, military, or labor- or "anti-labor" organization vigilantes. It also refers to a group of criminals involved in acts of intimidation or thuggery on behalf an individual, usually for profit. ...

I refer to myself as Sioux-cia. Some think it's sioux-CIA. But, it's not. I pronounce it sucia. My little joke with a spanish word. My avatar is 'Goon Squad'. I think of a hockey 'goon' as a fighter who sticks up for his teammates, someone when knocked down gets up again, a blue collar type hard worker, someone with loyalty for his own. I have also had a Cougar avatar for awhile because of a friendship I have with a younger member on this board. I've had other avatars as the mood strikes me. It's all in fun. But, you go ahead and use it as an excuse to not respond to my post. That's your right. You make asumptions about me based on something as trivial as an avatar while I'll make observations about the affects of the Fighting Sioux name and logo on reservation life based on my own experiences on a Sioux reservation. I'll also make my own opinions on racism's cause and affect on my life as a minority from my own life experiences not those that someone else tells me I should believe or accept.

Oh yeah, racism is alive and well in America. You can fight it by raising your children to believe there is NO ONE better then they are because of the color of their skin, you can fight it through education, through example-living a drug free/alcohol free/violence free life. You can demand accountability from your tribal council and by doing so, provide your tribe with ALL the resources available to them, not just those not stolen by those in charge. I was sent a link to a website created by a SL tribal member. The things posted there, if even one tenth true, are shameful even more so because tribal members do nothing about the abuse of power by tribal officials. Don't blame a name and logo for the problems of Native Americans, blame your own 'officials'.

I can point to 'cause and affect' created by tribal councils' abuse of power on reservations. I doubt you can point to 'cause and affect' by a name and logo.

I refer to myself as Sioux-cia. Some think it's sioux-CIA. But, it's not. I pronounce it sucia. My little joke with a spanish word. My avatar is 'Goon Squad'. I think of a hockey 'goon' as a fighter who sticks up for his teammates, someone when knocked down gets up again, a blue collar type hard worker, someone with loyalty for his own. I have also had a Cougar avatar for awhile because of a friendship I have with a younger member on this board. I've had other avatars as the mood strikes me. It's all in fun. But, you go ahead and use it as an excuse to not respond to my post. That's your right. You make asumptions about me based on something as trivial as an avatar while I'll make observations about the affects of the Fighting Sioux name and logo on reservation life based on my own experiences on a Sioux reservation. I'll also make my own opinions on racism's cause and affect on my life as a minority from my own life experiences not those that someone else tells me I should believe or accept.

Oh yeah, racism is alive and well in America. You can fight it by raising your children to believe there is NO ONE better then they are because of the color of their skin, you can fight it through education, through example-living a drug free/alcohol free/violence free life. You can demand accountability from your tribal council and by doing so, provide your tribe with ALL the resources available to them, not just those not stolen by those in charge. I was sent a link to a website created by a SL tribal member. The things posted there, if even one tenth true, are shameful even more so because tribal members do nothing about the abuse of power by tribal officials. Don't blame a name and logo for the problems of Native Americans, blame your own 'officials'.

I can point to 'cause and affect' created by tribal councils' abuse of power on reservations. I doubt you can point to 'cause and affect' by a name and logo.

The site you are refering to is way off base. Our tribal government is by no means perfect but is no where near what is described in that site. I know 3 of the individuals on the council and they are good people. It's hard to run a tribe and they are doing the best they can. The individual who runs that site must have aserious bone to pick with someone.

This past Christmas season I was working on a Sioux reservation. The tribal council voted themselves a $500. bonus, each, at the same time a woman was going to strangers' homes begging for food. This was relayed to me by a tribal member who knew the woman. She told me that the council was only taking care of themselves and not the people who were hungry and had no where to live. There are homeless, hungry people all across America and that is our shame. But, I do not accept that there is no abuse of power and resources on reservations when members tell me there are. As I stated in my previous post if even one tenth of that website is true that too is shameful. Even moreso because it's being allowed to continue. One of the members of this board was a friend of the murdered man. According to that member, the website is right on.

Our tribal government is by no means perfect but is no where near what is described in that site. I know 3 of the individuals on the council and they are good people.

Isn't that the old "Congress sucks, but I'm voting to re-elect my Congressman" mindset?

Classic.