SiouxSports.com Forum

EMAIL POMEROY

octupus99

I hear ya. I just called him and they said they would send me a letter. I said the vast majority want this name and he needs to speak up. I doubt anything will happen, but I'm going to go to sleep at night knowing I did what I could. I would encourage everyobne to at least try. It'll take you a couple of minutes and you never know what can happen.

I'm calling Conrad and Dorgan too. I want their official stand on this name issue and not the plau both sides of the issue garbage. Hakstol works for an administration that obviously wants the name changed and he is brave enough to make a stand, what about our paid representatives? They work for us and should be held accountable to the voters. My two cents...

If ND's congressional delegation believed this issue could cost them their seats they'd have done something already.

Folks, honestly, something fundamentally shifted at the highest levels. Proof? At the settlement announcement ...

"We have today before us a dynamic in terms of
a change in public policy
that's being brought forward. This is the recognition of the tribes and how they will be given an opportunity to weigh in on this issue, as should be the case." - NDUS Chancellor Bill Goetz

(NOTE: Bill Goetz was an instructor at DSU, a state legislator, and Gov. Hoeven's chief of staff, before going to NDUS.)

Public policy at the state level changed.

UND didn't change that.

The NCAA didn't change that.

Bill Goetz didn't change that.

The state's highest officials did that. And they felt safe and comfortable doing it.

Someone or something must have convinced them that a change in fundamental policy was politically survivable and palatable to enough people:

Was it signs of "nickname fatigue" (Denny Elbert's word)?

Was it Bruce Smith's president application saying he'd be strong enough to change it? (The most vocal faculty supporter, and a football alumnus, saying
that
?
:D
)

Was it Joel Maturi (AD at Minnesota) saying "no football" and some in the football community saying FB guarantees are more important?

We'll never know. We can only speculate.

But it remains: ND public policy changed at the highest level.

If the people who make policy believed this change would hurt them at election time they wouldn't have done it.

Was it Joel Maturi (AD at Minnesota) saying "no football" and some in the football community saying FB guarantees are more important?

So I am to believe that we would/should give up a name in HOPES of playing a football game against IOWA, MINNESOTA or WISCSON? Also, these school have no reason or benifit of playing us. The coach at UofMN has basically said that he doesn't want to play anymore 1AA schools.

I agree with Goon. I'm not holding my breath on those games and anyway we would never see them at the Alerus (if we're taking football). The clock is ticking on this and we are losing. I only have one vote, but I swear that I will never vote for anyone or support anyone who goes against this name. As soon as I get feedback from the North Dakota Triad, I will post on here. I'm also strongly considering never buying a Herald again. Is it true the editor if the Herald is against the name? If so, it's time to go internet only with the news.

I agree with Goon. I'm not holding my breath on those games and anyway we would never see them at the Alerus (if we're taking football). The clock is ticking on this and we are losing. I only have one vote, but I swear that I will never vote for anyone or support anyone who goes against this name. As soon as I get feedback from the North Dakota Triad, I will post on here. I'm also strongly considering never buying a Herald again. Is it true the editor if the Herald is against the name? If so, it's time to go internet only with the news.

I feel a lot like you. I only have one vote as well, but now there are 2 of us. Everyday it seems I think maybe I should run out and buy one last piece of Fighting Sioux gear...

The editorial board of the Herald opined a few years ago that it would be in the best interest of the institution (more than athletics) to move toward a new nickname.

Members of the editorial board that I know personally and my read on them:

Editor/publisher Mike Jacobs remains a passionate supporter of UND athletics, though he is conflicted, when it comes to the nickname. He's not the one leading the charge on the editorial board to change the name, but he also wouldn't cry if it eventually changed. Despite the nickname, he still is a fervent follower of UND athletics for as many events as I see him attend.

Opinion editor Tom Dennis: Not sure of his stance totally. He is not an alum and comes to North Dakota from out of state ... Pennsylvania. I think he would advocate for a change if all tribal members had a chance to vote on the issue and it came out strongly against the name. If it came out the other way, I could see him support keeping the name.

Managing editor Kevin Grinde: He is an East Grand Forks resident, Bemidji State grad, former outdoors writer and all out Fighting Sioux supporter nickname and all, no if's and's or buts.

Columnist Doreen Yellowbird: We all know her stance.

CFO Anita Geffre: Don't know her stance.

So you can see the editorial board as individuals, as I know it, are not slam-dunk against the name. Although as I wrote earlier, they (as a whole) did advocate for "a gentle nudge" toward changing the name a few years ago. It would have been interesting to know how each member voted on that editorial.

As for the rest of the newsroom, it is by far a more favorable environment for nickname support.

The entire sports department is behind the nickname and logo, save maybe sports editor Kevin Fee, who tends to take a don't-care-either-way approach.

Joe Marks, UND beat writer, tends to write stories that are both favorable to the nickname cause and detrimental to it, so I see him as doing what a good reporter should, and that is report both sides of the issue.

I know a bunch of reporters who are dyed-in-the wool Sioux fans and always have been, and they hate when they're lumped in with the editorial board, when people talk about the Herald's take on the nickname.

Bottomline: The newspaper is not cut-and-dried against the nickname, no matter what the conspiracy theorists say.

Around 2 1/2 years ago, I emailed the three ND represenatives, Dorgan/Conrad/Pomeroy, about the name and logo issue. I received two replies, Pomeroy and Conrad. Basically, they said they're leaving it in the hands of the institution, couldn't get involved as it is not within their realm of (I dont remember if they said their position or something similar)??, support the school and state, blah blah blah .......

I don't remember much of what they said but I do remember they were NOT going to get involved with the issue.

To bad. Remember that when election time comes.

Believe what you will, but ....

If ND's congressional delegation believed this issue could cost them their seats they'd have done something already.

If the people who make policy believed this change would hurt them at election time they wouldn't have done it.

Around 2 1/2 years ago, I emailed the three ND represenatives, Dorgan/Conrad/Pomeroy, about the name and logo issue. I received two replies, Pomeroy and Conrad. Basically, they said they're leaving it in the hands of the institution, couldn't get involved as it is not within their realm of (I dont remember if they said their position or something similar)??, support the school and state, blah blah blah .......

I don't remember much of what they said but I do remember they were NOT going to get involved with the issue.

Translation is that it is more important to get elected by not pissing off base as opposed to doing the right thing for your constituents.

UND and it's supporters really need to move on from this issue. It's not going away and threatening to vote against the three stooges when your talking about this issue will fall on deaf ears.

Agreed. The 3 stooges should be voted against no matter if they take a stance on the nickname or not.

Agreed. The 3 stooges should be voted against no matter if they take a stance on the nickname or not.

I would agree with that statement, however, Duane Sand (I heard he is going to make a run again) isn't going to be Earl Pomeroy. So I think we are going to be stuck with him for a while longer.