SiouxSports.com Forum

Should UND Students Vote in Local Elections?

hermit

Does anyone think that students should vote in local elections? The argument by some is that they spend money here. Well how many people pay a lot of money for property taxes on their lake homes or vaction homes in Arizona and do not vote in those locations because it is not their permanent home. If they have a Grand Forks address on their drivers license ok, but if not I do not think they should get to vote.

My home is in Fargo but I go to school in Minneapolis...along with many of my Wisconsinite friends, we are planning on voting here in Minnesota. It's our residence over half the year and this is wear we are living...

Do you have a Minnesota drivers license or a ND one still? If not then why do you not change your residence to Minnesota? People spend over half a year in Az. or at the lake and do not vote there. What is your legal residence?

I dated a girl in college who was opposed to the Columbia Road Overpass project, as were many of her sorority sisters. They hung "Vote No on CRO" placards. It was that kind of mentality that allowed a compromise to build a 2-lane overpass, only to have it announced on the opening day that it would be expanded to 4-lanes. Can you imagine GF without the Columbia Road Overpass?

Do you have a Minnesota drivers license or a ND one still? If not then why do you not change your residence to Minnesota? People spend over half a year in Az. or at the lake and do not vote there. What is your legal residence?

I still have a ND residence. I'm not going to change my residence to here while I'm still in school, moving from dorms to apartments to a house sooner or later. My legal residence is ND but I know we can vote here.

The students live in Grand Forks for at least 9 months out of the year and are affected by the decisions these lawmakers make. I don't see a reason why they shouldn't be able to vote.

Try around 8 months and they are only visiting because where do they go on weekends? What is that word they use? Home. Tell me what the city does that really affects them? Sales taxes? Big deal we all pay sales taxes in places we do not call home. Rent a car in Boston and pay almost 40% in taxes. Shop in Hennepin County and help pay for a new Twins stadium for a Carl. Rent a hotel room in Las Vgeas and see how much you pay in taxes. All issues that you and I did not vote on but pay. This happens all around the country. I own land in Nelson County and pay taxes but I do not get to vote on how they are spent.

I don't really care where the students vote as long as they vote only once. If they choose Grand Forks as their residence while they are going to school at UND, they should vote in Grand Forks. If they don't, then they should vote at home.

That is the problem. They have not choosen it as their residence. If they have a Grand Forks address on their licenses fine otherwise no. They think they should have a seat on the city council then we should have a seat in student government.

UND students are affected by the decisions of local leaders almost every day. It's more than just property and sales taxes. It wasn't too long ago that a large number of UND students were excluded from available housing due to a zoning decision by the Grand Forks City council. Many live in GF year round and determining their residence based upon their driver's license is pretty arbitrary.

Regarding this issue and others, there needs to be a change in attitude by many GF residents. GF should be looking for ways to make their community more attractive to the students who attend UND in the hopes that some may choose to stay there after graduation. In order to do this GF leaders and citizens need to reconsider how they treat students. Local leaders and citizens always talk about how they want young people to move to the city to build families and start careers, yet when they have thousands of young people living in GF they treat them like second class citizens. It shouldn't take much to figure out that every student you screw over when it comes to housing, wages, party fines, towing, etc. will be another student who jumps at the first ticket to Fargo or Minneapolis when they finish their degree.

That is the problem. They have not choosen it as their residence. If they have a Grand Forks address on their licenses fine otherwise no. They think they should have a seat on the city council then we should have a seat in student government.

This is just crazy. Not very many people establish permanent residency in GF but live here year round and are affected by decisions. Yet they shouldn't be able to vote? I can see your point if you were talking about kids in the dorms but if you are renting a house or an apartment, even for only 9 months, you have just as much right as anyone else. I live here year round but I am not about to go transfer my adress to GF just to move it to another city after I finish school. Yet I will still be affectd by new laws so why not vote?

This is just crazy. Not very many people establish permanent residency in GF but live here year round and are affected by decisions. Yet they shouldn't be able to vote? I can see your point if you were talking about kids in the dorms but if you are renting a house or an apartment, even for only 9 months, you have just as much right as anyone else. I live here year round but I am not about to go transfer my adress to GF just to move it to another city after I finish school. Yet I will still be affectd by new laws so why not vote?

Where is the difference in living in a dorm or an apartment?

UND students are affected by the decisions of local leaders almost every day. It's more than just property and sales taxes. It wasn't too long ago that a large number of UND students were excluded from available housing due to a zoning decision by the Grand Forks City council. Many live in GF year round and determining their residence based upon their driver's license is pretty arbitrary.

Regarding this issue and others, there needs to be a change in attitude by many GF residents. GF should be looking for ways to make their community more attractive to the students who attend UND in the hopes that some may choose to stay there after graduation. In order to do this GF leaders and citizens need to reconsider how they treat students. Local leaders and citizens always talk about how they want young people to move to the city to build families and start careers, yet when they have thousands of young people living in GF they treat them like second class citizens. It shouldn't take much to figure out that every student you screw over when it comes to housing, wages, party fines, towing, etc. will be another student who jumps at the first ticket to Fargo or Minneapolis when they finish their degree.

So you want to live next to a party house? When the kids whined about this all you had to ask them was, "In twenty years when you have to get up for work and get the kids ready for school would you have wanted yourself as a neighbor? Or would your parents want you for a neighbor right now?" The answer would be no.

Doesn't the State determine residency requirements for voting purposes? I can't imagine the State gives municipalities the power to determine who gets to vote in their town. So if students think it's too tough to prove Grand Forks residency to vote, they should complain to the State Legislature, not the City of Grand Forks.

Any students interested in voting in Grand Forks should research what it takes to prove residency. I know in Minnesota, it's not all that tough and I don't believe you have to change your driver's license.

Residency is not permanent. Residency is not necessarily the address on your driver's license. It's more of a personal declaration. It's where someone actually lives combined with intent to stay for an undetermined period. A UND student could easily declare Grand Forks as their residency during their four or five years there, even if they intend to leave Grand Forks when they graduate. However, many students like to keep their residency at their hometown while they are at college and vote at their home precinct (usually by absentee ballot). That is the student's decision, and either one is fine as long they pick just one.

According to this document on the North Dakota Secretary of State website, there are ways to prove residency other than a driver's license. http://www.state.nd.us/hava/education/doc/...equirements.pdf

Doesn't the State determine residency requirements for voting purposes? I can't imagine the State gives municipalities the power to determine who gets to vote in their town. So if students think it's too tough to prove Grand Forks residency to vote, they should complain to the State Legislature, not the City of Grand Forks.

Any students interested in voting in Grand Forks should research what it takes to prove residency. I know in Minnesota, it's not all that tough and I don't believe you have to change your driver's license.

As I recall, and this was 12+ years ago, all you had to do was attest that you had lived in the state/city for at least the past 90 days and you were considered a resident for voting. Residency for tuition, etc. I think that was more involved. I also recall that there were real efforts made to get UND students to vote in local elections, including political forums and debates on campus.