SiouxSports.com Forum

Should UND Students Vote in Local Elections?

hermit

Residency is not permanent. Residency is not necessarily the address on your driver's license. It's more of a personal declaration. It's where someone actually lives combined with intent to stay for an undetermined period. A UND student could easily declare Grand Forks as their residency during their four or five years there, even if they intend to leave Grand Forks when they graduate. However, many students like to keep their residency at their hometown while they are at college and vote at their home precinct (usually by absentee ballot). That is the student's decision, and either one is fine as long they pick just one.

According to this document on the North Dakota Secretary of State website, there are ways to prove residency other than a driver's license. http://www.state.nd.us/hava/education/doc/...equirements.pdf

Yes poor choice of words on my part. The rest of your post seems to be more on the line of what I should have said. Students can declare GF as their residency but most keep it at home do to simplicity( along with tax issues).

Where is the difference in living in a dorm or an apartment?

Kids living in the dorm are basically controlled by UND. UND controls the parking lots, you have no backyard, you pay no utilities, etc. Renting an apartment or house means you are affected by decision about street parking, lawn upkeep ordinances, increases in taxes that may be passed on in your rent in future years, etc. Why would a student renting an aprtment be considered differently than a person from the general public?

• 2 weeks later...

Of course students should get to vote in Grand Forks! They live here, they have an effect on the town, and the actions of the town affect them. The clash between UND and GFK needs to be figured out by enabling everyone to vote, not by denying people the right to vote.

Of course students should get to vote in Grand Forks! They live here, they have an effect on the town, and the actions of the town affect them. The clash between UND and GFK needs to be figured out by enabling everyone to vote, not by denying people the right to vote.

And where are thousands of them this week? HOME.

• 2 weeks later...

I find it absolutely absurd when someone tries to tell me they want to deny me a right that is sort of given to me by the Constitution of the United States of America. If you say students shouldn't be allowed to vote, you are classifying us all into one group. Not everyone goes home for the summer. Grand Forks is the place I call home and I live here a good 350 our of 365 days a year, and I think that is true of a lot of students. I have a MN license because, as i learned today, it is a BITCH to switch over. I voted in the last mid-term election, and I voted in the presidential primaries, and you can bet I'll be voting in the local elections also.

I find it absolutely absurd when someone tries to tell me they want to deny me a right that is sort of given to me by the Constitution of the United States of America. If you say students shouldn't be allowed to vote, you are classifying us all into one group. Not everyone goes home for the summer. Grand Forks is the place I call home and I live here a good 350 our of 365 days a year, and I think that is true of a lot of students. I have a MN license because, as i learned today, it is a BITCH to switch over. I voted in the last mid-term election, and I voted in the presidential primaries, and you can bet I'll be voting in the local elections also.

Name the city council members without looking it up. Then can local citizens vote in student elections? Should the students have their own council member which has been advocated by students? Are you going to be here in two years even? I don't get to vote in a county that I pay property taxes in because I don't live in that county though I have a vested interest in it.

Name the city council members without looking it up. Then can local citizens vote in student elections? Should the students have their own council member which has been advocated by students? Are you going to be here in two years even? I don't get to vote in a county that I pay property taxes in because I don't live in that county though I have a vested interest in it.

if naming the city council is the barometer of being able to vote, i suggest we have a quiz at all polling stations before anyone is allowed to vote.

What is your prediction

15% tops.

if naming the city council is the barometer of being able to vote, i suggest we have a quiz at all polling stations before anyone is allowed to vote.

What is your prediction

15% tops.

Knowing who is even on the council shows that they have an interest in city affairs. I would say a lot more of the voters than 15% would know who is on the council. I would guess closer to 75% would know.

A UND student could easily declare Grand Forks as their residency during their four or five years there, even if they intend to leave Grand Forks when they graduate.

I thought all you needed to vote was a utility bill and a id?

Which is part of the problem.

So, are UND students included in GF's population for census purposes, govt funding, etc.? If so, then they should be able to vote accordingly, regardless if they can "Name that politician". If not, then no and GF can watch its own population shrink accordingly.

/Cake ... eating it ...

So, are UND students included in GF's population for census purposes, govt funding, etc.? If so, then they should be able to vote accordingly, regardless if they can "Name that politician". If not, then no and GF can watch its own population shrink accordingly.

/Cake ... eating it ...

Actually Grand Forks has been growing while the student body has been shrinking. No one has ever answered if Grand Forks should have a vote in student elections.