SiouxSports.com Forum

PCM coaches show

sprig

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a big dent in the end boards at the National Hockey Center from our series this year courtesy of big Joe - I believe Lasch was the dent-ee.

ask the du player tonight how hes feeling, friken smoked him by the bench boards! he had a bad play on that late penalty for sure. great comeback for the sioux

Chuck has been pretty knowledgeable about Wisconsin high school hockey, but this one well...

I'm not going to go down point by point like manchild did (because I don't have to. Thanks manchild.) But I will say he's dead wrong on many many things.

I like the idea that he should pinch more. If he's so slow, what do you think is going to happen if he tries to pinch?

Second, he's DARN GOOD with the puck. He wasn't good with the puck as a freshman and that cost him reputation wise.

Again, there's the old double standard. He should be scoring more. What? Finley sucks because he doesn't score goals. Why is it that defensemen have to score points in order to be considered good? PLEASE! But, hey, if that's the case, then that resolves the old issue of who plays LaPoint or Marto. I guess Marto won't see the ice again this season. Jones should be kicked off the team.

Do you want a team whose defense is entirely concerned with offense? There is a team like that. It's the Gophers. Go root for them. They've had that problem for YEARS! They haven't had a shut down defensive defenseman in ages... unless you count DeMarchi as one. Leopold, Ballard, Goligoski... good defensemen all, but mainly because of their work in the offensive zone.

I like balance. Let Genoway pinch for Finley.

By the way, if Finley was fast at his size, he would have been gone in the top 10. A fast player at 6'7" tall? Unheard of.

Jeebus. Finley does well for us. Let him play.

ask the du player tonight how hes feeling, friken smoked him by the bench boards! he had a bad play on that late penalty for sure. great comeback for the sioux

Not sure that it was such a bad penalty to have taken. Better to take it and kill of the penalty than to not take it and give up a goal.

I think I proved my point tonight when Finley did all he could to cost the Sioux the game by getting absolutely torched with 2:30 seconds to go, only to take a penalty and put DU on the PP for the final 2 minutes of the game. Finley is lucky JPL came to play at the end of the game.

The team came thru for 60 minutes.

I would rather play short handed with a lead then go to sudden death overtime.

I think the DU player is landing on his A$$

http://www.grandforksherald.com/photograph...lery.cfm?id=299

I guess when I made reply yesterday I didn't get my point across clearly. I don't want Joe to fight for the sake of fighting.

What I want him to do is take an honorable way of doing it, if there is such a thing. Joe does a lot of yacking without any

results I would sooner like to see him skate away with humility, ( otherwise put up or shut up and don't look like a

Punkobitch). I sat by a guy who got to see the Minnesota series he said he saw what happened in the handshake line

that Joe offered his hand to Wheeler and Wheeler slapped it away, this would have been a good time to take an honorable

way and not Punk it up and look like a goon. I love Sioux hockey and all the Sioux players I just want them, to steal a

phrase, " be all that they can be."

Go Sioux and let's sweep them tonight!!!!!!

I guess when I made reply yesterday I didn't get my point across clearly. I don't want Joe to fight for the sake of fighting.

What I want him to do is take an honorable way of doing it, if there is such a thing. Joe does a lot of yacking without any

results I would sooner like to see him skate away with humility, ( otherwise put up or shut up and don't look like a

Punkobitch). I sat by a guy who got to see the Minnesota series he said he saw what happened in the handshake line

that Joe offered his hand to Wheeler and Wheeler slapped it away, this would have been a good time to take an honorable

way and not Punk it up and look like a goon. I love Sioux hockey and all the Sioux players I just want them, to steal a

Isn't it the honorable thing to challenge the guy to a fight and be ready to back it up. I think that's better than being the biggest guy on the ice who starts beating on someone.

That's what filthy rodents do when they match up with the smallest guy on the other team.

There is no code of honor when you are talking the Gophers. In the AHL or NHL there is a code of honor and Finley will get his chance one day to lay an all-time beating on Wheeler

#6. For as much as he's on the ice, his 11 points in 27 games are pathetic. He is on the ice ALL THE TIME (Including the power play for some un-godly reason). He has 4 career goals in 111 career games. For as much time he spends on the ice that number is strikingly low.

Lets look at the +/- leaders for Sioux defensemen the past 3 years:

2005-2006: +21 Chorney, Finley/Smaby +18

2006-2007: +19 Finley, +13 Genoway (not sure if all this was at defense)

2007-2008: +22 Finley, +18 Genoway

In Finley's career he has lead the defense in +/- the past two years and was second as a freshman. In overall team +/-, Joe was 5th as a freshman, and 1st the past two years.

According to your own words, Finley is "on the ice ALL THE TIME". So let's see, Joe leads the defense and team in +/-, coach Hakstol wants to play him all the time, yet you think he is the worst defenseman on the team. Tough decision, who's opinion should I trust, yours or Hakstol's ?

Give it up Chuck, your negative rant on Joe just doesn't square with the facts. It appears you have some relationship with LaPoint but please take the blinders off.

This has nothing to do with LaPoint. Someone just asked to rank the defensemen so I did. I gave my honest opinion as to how good I feel each player is. When people asked why I ranked Finley so low I told them. I've come to the conclusion that Sioux fans favor a big defensive defenseman in the Smaby, Green mold, (And trust me, Finley can't hold the jocks of those two.) over an offensive minded defenseman, see Lee, Brian, LaPoint, Derrick. You guys are gonna be real upset if thats the case when Joey Gleason comes here.

This has nothing to do with LaPoint. Someone just asked to rank the defensemen so I did. I gave my honest opinion as to how good I feel each player is. When people asked why I ranked Finley so low I told them. I've come to the conclusion that Sioux fans favor a big defensive defenseman in the Smaby, Green mold, (And trust me, Finley can't hold the jocks of those two.) over an offensive minded defenseman, see Lee, Brian, LaPoint, Derrick. You guys are gonna be real upset if thats the case when Joey Gleason comes here.

Maybe we're smart enough to be able to appreciate both the defensive minded defensemen as well as the offensive minded defenseman. We're lucky in that we have three defensemen that are at the top or close to it for scoring, Bina, Gennoway and Chorney and a top tier defensive minded defenseman (Finley). We also have three good role players, two of whom are likely to be leaders in the next year or two.

I see us as being in a great situation.

Personally, I love an offensive defenseman...provided he can take care of business in his own end. A defenseman must play defense-first, that's why they play back there. I think LaPoint, Gleason, and Genoway will end up extremely solid 2-way defensemen. I don't think anyone here is opposed to a great puck moving defenseman, but that person must be defensively responsible. LaPoint is moving along at a great pace, but right now, I think people appreciate Marto's grit and skating prowess. Finley moves very well for his size, and has proven to be a great asset to the defense, if not the best consistently. The play you're talking about, Chuck, Finley did get burnt pretty bad, but made a play on the man and took a call to avoid a partial break on JPL. It sucks when that happens, but I definitely wouldn't throw Finley or LaPoint under the bus for rare mistakes like that.