SiouxSports.com Forum

2008/09 schedule

I agree, I think that for most sports next years schedule will be easier than this seasons. I would assume that you can expect to see many NAIA and NSIC in Grand Forks plus a few DI transitional members (Seattle, SIU-E, Bryant, ect). One the road I would expect mid to low majors with an occasional interesting match-up.

As for the winning % for women's BB, I'll go with 87%

There won't be many NSIC teams for either the men or the ladies to play- the reason being that the NSIC will be so large next season that they will have a 20 to 22 game conference schedule leaving roughly 6 to 7 games for non-confence. My understanding is that most of these (NSIC) schools will choose to play a few NAIA opponent to gear up for the long conference and a few intra- regional games to match up against another conference within their region- to try to promote strength of conference when comes time to make the regional (just as we do with playing NSIC and RMAC schools now). I would be really surprised if we see many, if any, NSIC teams on our schedule. I think our home games will consist of NAIA schools and on we'll be road against alot of D1's nobody's heard of.

There won't be many NSIC teams for either the men or the ladies to play- the reason being that the NSIC will be so large next season that they will have a 20 to 22 game conference schedule leaving roughly 6 to 7 games for non-confence. My understanding is that most of these (NSIC) schools will choose to play a few NAIA opponent to gear up for the long conference and a few intra- regional games to match up against another conference within their region- to try to promote strength of conference when comes time to make the regional (just as we do with playing NSIC and RMAC schools now). I would be really surprised if we see many, if any, NSIC teams on our schedule. I think our home games will consist of NAIA schools and on we'll be road against alot of D1's nobody's heard of.

Totally agree. Maybe we can get the Bison back on the schedule for both men and women...............we'll go there, won't we!!!!!

The ladies will be playing at Montana St. next year.

Both the women and men's teams currently have home-and-home agreements with Seattle, Southern Illinois-Edwardsville, and South Dakota.

Other likely opponents are Utah Valley State, Texas-PanAm, and New Jersey Tech, all of whom had scheduling alliances with the xDSU's until this season, although I don't know if UND would be able to get them to agree to home-and-homes in our first year.

Possibly every single North Dakota DAC school plus Mary will visit the Betty next year?

Personally, I think the easy schedule Amy set up that year was a mistake. I would look to SDSU for a better Year 1 schedule.

2004-05

Concordia-St. Paul (Minn.)

Cal State Bakersfield (tourney)

at Cal State Stanislaus (tourney)

Rutgers (N.J.) (tourney)

Kentucky (tourney)

Oregon State (tourney)

at Northern Illinois

at Texas State

at Southern California

Wisconsin-Eau Claire

Loras (Iowa)

Ferris State (Mich.)

at Purdue (Ind.)

at Oklahoma State

at Middle Tennessee State

at Alabama

at Wisconsin-Milwaukee

at Wisconsin-Green Bay

North Dakota State

Briar Cliff (Iowa)

at IPFW

at Northern State

Si Tanka-Huron

Sioux Falls

Doane (Neb.)

Upper Iowa

at North Dakota State

Grand Canyon (Ariz.)

SDSU went 21-7 with this schedule.

• 1 month later...
Personally, I think the easy schedule Amy set up that year was a mistake. I would look to SDSU for a better Year 1 schedule.

2004-05

Concordia-St. Paul (Minn.)

Cal State Bakersfield (tourney)

at Cal State Stanislaus (tourney)

Rutgers (N.J.) (tourney)

Kentucky (tourney)

Oregon State (tourney)

at Northern Illinois

at Texas State

at Southern California

Wisconsin-Eau Claire

Loras (Iowa)

Ferris State (Mich.)

at Purdue (Ind.)

at Oklahoma State

at Middle Tennessee State

at Alabama

at Wisconsin-Milwaukee

at Wisconsin-Green Bay

North Dakota State

Briar Cliff (Iowa)

at IPFW

at Northern State

Si Tanka-Huron

Sioux Falls

Doane (Neb.)

Upper Iowa

at North Dakota State

Grand Canyon (Ariz.)

SDSU went 21-7 with this schedule.

Sounds like we may have a schedule very similar to this, acording to the article in the paper we may have as many as 20 D1 teams, I have heard several in California ( could be great west teams) and several tourneys around Thanksgiving and Xmas with good teams, probably not many home games with good teams, I hear this is the hardest thing, and looking at SDSU's schedule that looks like the issue they had also. I hope we are teaming up with USD to try and get some teams 2 games for 1 trip which just make sense.

Good Luck to USD tonight.

Sounds like we may have a schedule very similar to this, acording to the article in the paper we may have as many as 20 D1 teams, I have heard several in California ( could be great west teams) and several tourneys around Thanksgiving and Xmas with good teams, probably not many home games with good teams, I hear this is the hardest thing, and looking at SDSU's schedule that looks like the issue they had also. I hope we are teaming up with USD to try and get some teams 2 games for 1 trip which just make sense.

Good Luck to USD tonight.

Montana, Montana St, Wyoming, Iowa State just to list a few

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hats off to Roebuck and company for putting that schedule together! I'd say that is a hell of a good schedule for a team in its first year of transition and in non-counter status. I can't believe they got two MAC schools to come to GF this season. Also glad to see Houston Baptist jump on board with the home-and-home agreement, and to a see a tourney played at the end of the season amongst the transitionals.

Hats off to Roebuck and company for putting that schedule together! I'd say that is a hell of a good schedule for a team in its first year of transition and in non-counter status. I can't believe they got two MAC schools to come to GF this season. Also glad to see Houston Baptist jump on board with the home-and-home agreement, and to a see a tourney played at the end of the season amongst the transitionals.

Fully agree - this was a very pleasant surprise!!

Sioux storm into D-I - GF Herald

The article names the other participants for the NAU and ISU tournaments.

Nov. 28 Northern Arizona Tourn. Flagstaff, Ariz.

Nov. 29 Northern Arizona Tourn. Flagstaff, Ariz.

(Northern Arizona, Bradley, UC-Riverside and UND)

Dec. 29 Iowa State Tournament Ames, Iowa

Dec. 30 Iowa State Tournament Ames, Iowa

(Iowa State, Niagara, Lamar and UND)

By way of comparison in terms of first-year transition schedules, UND's is far better than NDSU's was, as they only played five dI games (including SDSU twice). SDSU had fewer dI games, although they did have several major conference opponents (Rutgers, Kentucky, Oregon St., USD, Purdue, Oklahoma St. and Alabama). It will be interesting to see what USD's schedule looks like.

I think it is great 1st year schedule, and there are a few big time womens programs on the schedule: Iowa State, Wyoming, Wisconsin Green Bay all being very good women's basketball schools, then add Vermont and Arkansas 2 other flagship schools, and the MAC schools there are going to be many challenges for the team.

It will be a great tester to see where the level of play is and where it will need to be to compete with the best at this next level. I believe Iowa State, Wyoming and Green Bay were all NCAA trny teams and several of the others were NIT teams.

You may be interested to know that Eastern Michigan has a North Dakota player on their roster. Amber Land graduated from Kulm HS. She is a 6'2" Senior. She is not a star, but averaged 4 points and 18 minutes per game, and started a few games for a pretty good team. I assume her presence on the roster was one reason they agreed to play at UND. She may very well be in the starting lineup for the UND game.

• 2 months later...

2008-09 SDSU WOMEN'S basketball schedule

Nov 04 Minnesota-Crookston (Exhibition) Frost Arena 7 p.m.

Nov 09 Southwest Minnesota State (Exhibition) Frost Arena 2 p.m.

Nov 14 Missouri at Columbia, Mo. 6:30 p.m.

Nov 17 Wisconsin Frost Arena 7 p.m.

Nov 20 Utah Frost Arena 7 p.m.

Nov 23 Oregon Frost Arena 2 p.m.

Nov 26 - 28 Cancun Tournament at Cancun, Mexico TBA

Thu, Dec 04 Centenary (La.) * Frost Arena 5 p.m.

Sat, Dec 06 Oral Roberts (Okla.) * Frost Arena 5 p.m.

Tue, Dec 09 Minnesota at Minneapolis, Minn. 7 p.m.

Fri, Dec 12 Gonzaga at Spokane, Wash. 7 p.m. PT

Wed, Dec 17 UC Davis Frost Arena 7 p.m.

Sun, Dec 21 Valparaiso Frost Arena 2 p.m.

Mon, Dec 29 Northern Iowa at Cedar Falls, Iowa 7 p.m.

Sat, Jan 03 IPFW * at Fort Wayne, Ind. TBA

Mon, Jan 05 Oakland (Mich.) * at Rochester, Mich. 7 p.m. ET

Sat, Jan 10 IUPUI * Frost Arena 5 p.m.

Mon, Jan 12 Western Illinois * Frost Arena 7 p.m.

Sat, Jan 17 Southern Utah * at Cedar City, Utah TBA

Mon, Jan 19 UMKC * at Kansas City, Mo. 7 p.m.

Sat, Jan 24 North Dakota State * Frost Arena 7 p.m.

Sat, Jan 31 Oakland (Mich.) * Frost Arena 5 p.m.

Mon, Feb 02 IPFW * Frost Arena 7 p.m.

Sat, Feb 07 Western Illinois * at Macomb, Ill. TBA

Mon, Feb 09 IUPUI * at Indianapolis, Ind. 7 p.m. ET

Sat, Feb 14 UMKC * Frost Arena 5 p.m.

Mon, Feb 16 Southern Utah * Frost Arena 7 p.m.

Sat, Feb 21 North Dakota State * at Fargo, N.D. 7 p.m.

Sat, Feb 28 Centenary (La.) * at Shreveport, La. TBA

Mon, Mar 02 Oral Roberts (Okla.) * at Tulsa, Okla. 7 p.m.

Definately a schedule that I am jelous of. I would absolutely love to see UND have a schedule like this in the future. There are some pretty impressive HOME games for SDSU on there as well as some great away games. And as the fans become more familiar with the Summit, those games will just mean more and more.

2008-09 SDSU WOMEN'S basketball schedule

Nov 04 Minnesota-Crookston (Exhibition) Frost Arena 7 p.m.

Nov 09 Southwest Minnesota State (Exhibition) Frost Arena 2 p.m.

Nov 14 Missouri at Columbia, Mo. 6:30 p.m.

Nov 17 Wisconsin Frost Arena 7 p.m.

Nov 20 Utah Frost Arena 7 p.m.

Nov 23 Oregon Frost Arena 2 p.m.

Nov 26 - 28 Cancun Tournament at Cancun, Mexico TBA

Thu, Dec 04 Centenary (La.) * Frost Arena 5 p.m.

Sat, Dec 06 Oral Roberts (Okla.) * Frost Arena 5 p.m.

Tue, Dec 09 Minnesota at Minneapolis, Minn. 7 p.m.

Fri, Dec 12 Gonzaga at Spokane, Wash. 7 p.m. PT

Wed, Dec 17 UC Davis Frost Arena 7 p.m.

Sun, Dec 21 Valparaiso Frost Arena 2 p.m.

Mon, Dec 29 Northern Iowa at Cedar Falls, Iowa 7 p.m.

Sat, Jan 03 IPFW * at Fort Wayne, Ind. TBA

Mon, Jan 05 Oakland (Mich.) * at Rochester, Mich. 7 p.m. ET

Sat, Jan 10 IUPUI * Frost Arena 5 p.m.

Mon, Jan 12 Western Illinois * Frost Arena 7 p.m.

Sat, Jan 17 Southern Utah * at Cedar City, Utah TBA

Mon, Jan 19 UMKC * at Kansas City, Mo. 7 p.m.

Sat, Jan 24 North Dakota State * Frost Arena 7 p.m.

Sat, Jan 31 Oakland (Mich.) * Frost Arena 5 p.m.

Mon, Feb 02 IPFW * Frost Arena 7 p.m.

Sat, Feb 07 Western Illinois * at Macomb, Ill. TBA

Mon, Feb 09 IUPUI * at Indianapolis, Ind. 7 p.m. ET

Sat, Feb 14 UMKC * Frost Arena 5 p.m.

Mon, Feb 16 Southern Utah * Frost Arena 7 p.m.

Sat, Feb 21 North Dakota State * at Fargo, N.D. 7 p.m.

Sat, Feb 28 Centenary (La.) * at Shreveport, La. TBA

Mon, Mar 02 Oral Roberts (Okla.) * at Tulsa, Okla. 7 p.m.

Definately a schedule that I am jelous of. I would absolutely love to see UND have a schedule like this in the future. There are some pretty impressive HOME games for SDSU on there as well as some great away games. And as the fans become more familiar with the Summit, those games will just mean more and more.

As a huge Bison fan, I'm also jealous of this schedule! Have you checked out our schedule yet? Yuk. Valley City and Jamestown - seriously? I love how Coach Ruley brought national prominance to womens bb in this area, but wow, the scheduling over the last 4 years has been horrible. If you're recruiting the same athletes, would you rather play Wisconsin, Utah, and Oregon at Frost Arena, or VC and JC? No brainer. The schedule needs to get better! You (und) should be scheduling as difficult as teams as possible as soon as possible - no doubt your team would compete - winning some "name" games early like SDSU did gave them instant credibility and now look at their schedule. First post here and I'm guessing most of the time it'll be smack talk, but I'll give you props when props are due - like your women's team and your TT football game! :silly:

I think there is no doubt that UND will have a schedule similar to this soon, they may be a year or 2 away, but it isn't bad this year and will just get better.

Have to give SDSU credit for their DI basketball transition. Keeping up with SDSU will not be easy, while NDSU has tons of work to do. Meanwhile, USD hasn't issued any of their BB schedules.

Have to give SDSU credit for their DI basketball transition. Keeping up with SDSU will not be easy, while NDSU has tons of work to do. Meanwhile, USD hasn't issued any of their BB schedules.

IMO, the coaching, facilities and tradition are good enough to get it done. I just think we need to do a little better job of recruiting all of Minnesota, rather than just the northwestern part. For example, southern MN has historically been very good to UND (Pudenz sisters, Arndtson, Boese, etc.). But it's been awhile since we've gotten an impact player from down there.

As a huge Bison fan, I'm also jealous of this schedule! Have you checked out our schedule yet? Yuk. Valley City and Jamestown - seriously? I love how Coach Ruley brought national prominance to womens bb in this area, but wow, the scheduling over the last 4 years has been horrible. If you're recruiting the same athletes, would you rather play Wisconsin, Utah, and Oregon at Frost Arena, or VC and JC? No brainer. The schedule needs to get better! You (und) should be scheduling as difficult as teams as possible as soon as possible - no doubt your team would compete - winning some "name" games early like SDSU did gave them instant credibility and now look at their schedule. First post here and I'm guessing most of the time it'll be smack talk, but I'll give you props when props are due - like your women's team and your TT football game! :silly:

Welcome to the board...and thank you for giving credit where credit is due as I believe most UND fans will give credit to NDSU where credit is do in return. Unfortunalty there are alot NDSU fans that are complete idiots on this forum.