SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Gophers

Siouxdonyms

its time for phil to crack the discussions of top wcha goalie and top goalie which i think he is in the nation. especially if he keeps giving up 1 goal per game. great defense and great jo by phil. chorney and genoway were pretty damn good to me last night. marto had 1 very very bad hick up i think it was him that phil saved him on i believe. good win as thats the bottom line. get those points

No question that J-P is the top netminder in the nation. His stats back that up, especially when you consider the division he plays in every weekend. By giving up just a single goal in games against WCHA opponents, he really gives his team great chances to pick up wins. It takes a whole team to get the "W", but Phil really holds up his end well. I've seen a lot of goalies play, and seen many with slower gloves...and very few with quicker ones. He stacks the pads well too and shuts the five hole down tight. I'd love to see him get another couple of shutouts this year.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just watched the youtube version of the trupp goal again and watched the bench and coach hakstol was even jumping around a few times with his hands in the iar. very cool to see hak like that!! great win again

as mansucko said

"the guys in the green wanted the puck i the net much more than the gophers"

its time for phil to crack the discussions of top wcha goalie and top goalie which i think he is in the nation. especially if he keeps giving up 1 goal per game. great defense and great jo by phil. chorney and genoway were pretty damn good to me last night. marto had 1 very very bad hick up i think it was him that phil saved him on i believe. good win as thats the bottom line. get those points

JPL has played great as of late, and does deserve to be listed as one of the top goalies in the nation. He has given up only 11 goals in this 8 game win streak. He is giving the boys a chance every night.

Just read the Strib's write up on the game. I didn't realize that this was Trupp's fourth game winning goal! Dam# good for a freshman. But, as Hak has said in the past, after Christmas, they're no longer freshmen!

Watched Mansucko (?) after the game talking about the difference in the goalies and saying Philippe 'flops around like a fish'. Last night I saw one of ESPN's previews for Play of the Day and one was of an NHL goalie saving a goal exactly like Philippe did, falling on the ice and stopping the puck with his leg pads. Gawd, I know why he's called 'Mansucko'.

I had a chuckle but quickly realized that the Goofs probably wouldn't have got a penalty for that double hook.

Just watched the goal for the gazillionth time. Goofy in back didn't hook Trupp. #2 Goofy did! The ref was directly behind the three players and had to see it happen. But, I agree, had there been no goal, there would have been no penalty!

But, who cares!!! It WAS a goal!! ???

I had a chuckle but quickly realized that the Goofs probably wouldn't have got a penalty for that double hook.

I actually didn't see it as a hook by the Gopher...

The stick was there but it looks like he was trying to hook at the same time that Trupp dove for the puck. The best view of this is shown from the up high review from the corner. (1:25 in to the you tube video) That view shows how Trupp extended and left his feet on his own to reach the puck.

I was shooting photos between the benches at the time, but missed the shot because the Gopher players on the bench where standing and blocking my view.

Just read the Strib's write up on the game. I didn't realize that this was Trupp's fourth game winning goal! Dam# good for a freshman. But, as Hak has said in the past, after Christmas, they're no longer freshmen!

Watched Mansucko (?) after the game talking about the difference in the goalies and saying Philippe 'flops around like a fish'. Last night I saw one of ESPN's previews for Play of the Day and one was of an NHL goalie saving a goal exactly like Philippe did, falling on the ice and stopping the puck with his leg pads. Gawd, I know why he's called 'Mansucko'.

The thing is, though, he does flop around like a fish. It's exactly what Gorg said after the game, and also said that's how he played when he was in the NHL.

The comment was never made in a negative way, just a style of play. Bigger goalies can play a different style than small goalies.

Fortunatly, he's very technically sound in his positioning and usually doesn't give up rebounds, but when he has to move from one side of the net to the other he ends up flopping a bit to make the save, which is almost always does successfully.

It'll be interesting to watch Eidsness play since he's so much bigger than just about all the goalies the Sioux have had in the past decade.

The stick was there but it looks like he was trying to hook at the same time that Trupp dove for the puck. The best view of this is shown from the up high review from the corner. (1:25 in to the you tube video) That view shows how Trupp extended and left his feet on his own to reach the puck.

I was shooting photos between the benches at the time, but missed the shot because the Gopher players on the bench where standing and blocking my view.

Could be, but my 'homer' eyes saw it as a hook around his ankle; ??? which didn't hurt the play! :angry:

Did you see the two women Sioux fan's? They're both cheering/clapping and young one asked the older one, "What happened?" :angry:

The thing is, though, he does flop around like a fish. It's exactly what Gorg said after the game, and also said that's how he played when he was in the NHL.

The comment was never made in a negative way, just a style of play. Bigger goalies can play a different style than small goalies.

Fortunatly, he's very technically sound in his positioning and usually doesn't give up rebounds, but when he has to move from one side of the net to the other he ends up flopping a bit to make the save, which is almost always does successfully.

It'll be interesting to watch Eidsness play since he's so much bigger than just about all the goalies the Sioux have had in the past decade.

OK. ???

phil does flop like a fish in his own controlled way i guess you can say. gorg was correct. phil had some great saves last night!

No doubt. Hell of a year for the senior.