SiouxSports.com Forum

schmidt has been suspended

siouxweet

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Inside College Hockey Randy Schmidt has been suspended for at least the season. So let's see screw over a division two school and you get another chance. Screw over a Big Ten school and lose your job perhaps permanently:

WCHA commissioner Bruce McLeod confirmed to INCH that referee Randy Schmidt has been suspended by the league. McLeod said no formal announcement would be made and the terms of the suspension were indefinite, but Schmidt is not expected to work any more games during the 2007-08 season.

McLeod added that whether or not Schmidt will work as a WCHA referee next season or ever again has not been decided. The decision was made by McLeod in consult with WCHA supervisor of officials Greg Shepherd after the league twice issued apologies for errors made by Schmidt this season.

Certainly screwing up after a warning is a bigger deal. But I think they went from a slap on the wrist to the death penalty because of who it was rather than what he did. Maybe if they would have treated it as a serious matter after the first time the second time wouldn't have happened.

According to Inside College Hockey Randy Schmidt has been suspended for at least the season. So let's see screw over a division two school and you get another chance. Screw over a Big Ten school and lose your job perhaps permanently:

Certainly screwing up after a warning is a bigger deal. But I think they went from a slap on the wrist to the death penalty because of who it was rather than what he did. Maybe if they would have treated it as a serious matter after the first time the second time wouldn't have happened.

The first offense (DU at SCSU), which was a terrible call, still involved some judgement, however poor it was.

The second offense was just plain carelessness and negligence.

I don't think it mattered who the teams were - the fact that there were 2 incidents and the larger offense happened 2nd warranted the suspension.

For the MSU game we had that Bokal guy as a ref in the two-man system. Forgot who the other was. I never saw him before or after. In the location I had I got to chat with him in the ref tunnel a bit and found out he's related to Todd Anderson (not blood related). I'm not sure how much other reffing he does in the WCHA, but maybe it's a chance for him to move up to a ref permanently in the WCHA if he wasn't already. Bokal for Schmidt?

Give Freeman a chance at a full time ref he does a good job when they allow him during four man crews.

I agree, Freeman has done the best job anyone has in the stripes that I've seen. I tell him that usually when I see him, but he always says that we'll just yell at him then. :lol: