SiouxSports.com Forum

schmidt has been suspended

siouxweet

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the officiating really just a WCHA problem or is it an NCAA problem? If the WCHA can't get refs because it is not upwardly mobile, then that has to be true for the other conferences as well. I have seen other forums, and officiating seems to be a sore spot everywhere.

This is a more biased opinion coming up:

I think every DI conference has its bad eggs. However, the WCHA has more troubles when it comes to NCAA-mandated rulings often called "crackdowns." There was supposed to be crackdowns on obstruction, checking from behind, and even goaltender interference (IIRC) in the past 5 years (if that). With the exception of the checking from behind crackdown, the WCHA has simply called it the NCAA's way the first few months of the season and then started ignoring it again in perpetuity and, when questioned remarked on how well the league as acclimated to the rules so much so that calling it tight is no longer necessary because it isn't happening (henceforth shortened to one word: "Bulls$#%"). The only reason the CFB crackdown was followed was because the source of the crackdown was a WCHA incident.

CCHA and Hockey East fans complain about Piotroski and Shegos (I don't think Piotroski officiates anymore), but overall, they are far superior to anything we have.

It's why it is so Jekyl and Hyde whenever we play CCHA or HEA teams on the road for me, anyways. First off I think how we'd be at a disadvantage because of how the CCHA and HEA officials call the game (they call it the NCAA mandated way and include calling such penalties as obstruction and diving). Second I believe that, though I'm worried about how the Sioux will fare penalty-wise, I am pretty confident that the officiating will more than likely be better than what UND normally sees in WCHA action.

I don't know enough about the officiating in other conferences to say which of the other conferences has the best officials, but I can say for certain that it is not the WCHA.

Every game day during the season (and often other times) I dream about what the WCHA would truly be like if we were more than just the best conference team-wise top to bottom (yeah, that sounds arrogant).

CCHA and Hockey East fans complain about Piotroski and Shegos (I don't think Piotroski officiates anymore), but overall, they are far superior to anything we have.

If I am not mistaken that clown Shegos was ref the Sioux game in the frozen four last year? If I remember right he was just as bad as anything in the WCHA. B.C. vs UND Box

Is the officiating really just a WCHA problem or is it an NCAA problem? If the WCHA can't get refs because it is not upwardly mobile, then that has to be true for the other conferences as well. I have seen other forums, and officiating seems to be a sore spot everywhere.

The state of the reffing in the WCHA is in bad condition because the leadership in the WCHA is terrible. The incident with Schmidt just exposes it more and brings it to the surface. The fact that the decision affected a Big Ten School makes it even more glaring. Can you imagine if that incident had happened to the WCHA bench mark school? There would be a $#!t storm bigger than the one that happened with Wisconsin. Remember what happened when the AR made the right call?

If Sheppard and McCloud were gone I think that would be the first step in improving the league, clean house and get rid of the dead weight. Randy Schmidt would be gone immediately after his last gaff. I also don't know why the NCAA and the various leagues can not call the games like the NHL, it should be a no brainer. There shouldn't even be a discussion on calling the game like they do in the NHL, I personally don't care if some of the teams can't keep up under the NHL rules, it would be betterment of the game. If any thing I think the reffing in the WCHA is causing this parity and I would be willing to bet that a lot of the coaches don't want the games called like they are in the NHL because they couldn't compete under those rules. I also think if the games were called that way the NHL games are you would see the seperation that some of the other leagues have like the Cup Cake Hockey Association. I think others have mention the EZAC, CCHA and HE call the games more closely to the NHL than the WCHA. The Sioux like one person mentioned do a lot of obstruction because they can get away with it and they would have some adjustments to make as well. I shouldn't have to watch a player like Oshie get hack, whack and high sticked when he is in the offensive zone. That type of crap shouldn't have to be accepted as being part of the game. Can you imagine if Sidney Crosby had to put up with that in the NHL? It isn't acceptable in the best league in the world the NHL is shouldn't be acceptable in the best college hockey league.

It is time for the status quo to no longer be accepted.

Edited by Goon

A couple observations.

There was long standing mandate to call checking from behind. Don Adam just plain blew the call. Calling non-checking from behinds as a CFB doesn't help on the incompetence factor IMO. And it seems that UND has been recipients of a couple CFB's that weren't called this year. Matt Watkins took too CFB's in the Boston Fog game.

Another observation is that teams like Michigan and Miami are able to nearly run the tables in the CCHA this year the way they call that. Would the three good teams in the WCHA CC, Dunver and UND fare as well with no obstruction?

Another observation is that teams like Michigan and Miami are able to nearly run the tables in the CCHA this year the way they call that. Would the three good teams in the WCHA CC, Dunver and UND fare as well with no obstruction?

I believe they could and they have. UND has beaten Michigan, Michigan State and Miami in the last three seasons. Incidenlty I heard that Miami was the top penalized team in the NCAA this season according to the CSTV broad cast the other night. You just better hope the Sioux don't have to play with Shegos reffing.

I believe they could and they have. UND has beaten Michigan, Michigan State and Miami in the last three seasons. Incidenlty I heard that Miami was the top penalized team in the NCAA this season according to the CSTV broad cast the other night. You just better hope the Sioux don't have to play with Shegos reffing.

What does beating Michigan, Michigan State and Miami in past years have to do with this year? Also, Miami is not the most penalized team in the NCAA. We are currently taking that honor.

NCAA Stats

Penalty Minutes: Games PIM PIM/G

1 Bowling Green 23 475 20.7

2 Western Michigan 25 496 19.8

3 North Dakota 24 459 19.1

4 Nebraska-Omaha 26 486 18.7

5 Canisius 24 441 18.4

6 Miami 27 493 18.3

7 Mercyhurst 25 449 18.0

8 Ferris State 23 411 17.9

9 Michigan 25 432 17.3

10 Wisconsin 25 427 17.1

11 Rensselaer 26 443 17.0

12 RIT 24 406 16.9

13 Boston College 23 384 16.7

14 Sacred Heart 23 378 16.4

15 Robert Morris 21 342 16.3

16 Michigan Tech 23 374 16.3

17 Brown 18 281 15.6

18 Minnesota State 24 369 15.4

19 Alaska Anchorage 23 352 15.3

20 Denver 24 357 14.9

Apparently WMU and BGSU brawl skewed the penalty minutes. Seems like UND is only 3rd Nationally over all.

UND is 13th overall in PK and 9th nationally on the PP.

A couple observations.

There was long standing mandate to call checking from behind. Don Adam just plain blew the call. Calling non-checking from behinds as a CFB doesn't help on the incompetence factor IMO. And it seems that UND has been recipients of a couple CFB's that weren't called this year. Matt Watkins took too CFB's in the Boston Fog game.

True enough, Whistler. The problem is that crackdowns come as a result of officiating blunders. CFB penalties aren't vague in the rulebook. The crackdown is only there because the officials need reminders that CFB is a dangerous penalty and must be called. So, crackdowns are reactionary, not proactionary. They aren't meant to solve incompetance, they are there BECAUSE of it.

Goon- Shegos has officiated many UND games in the NCAA tourney. And most have been very well done. I don't look at stat sheets to determine whether or not UND was screwed over. I look at the game itself. Maybe Shegos didn't do well in that game you cite, but he does call penalties WCHA officials refuse to call, like diving. And UND isn't exactly angelic when it comes to physical games. We are a physical team and I love that, but sometimes we go overboard.

Goon- Shegos has officiated many UND games in the NCAA tourney. And most have been very well done. I don't look at stat sheets to determine whether or not UND was screwed over. I look at the game itself. Maybe Shegos didn't do well in that game you cite, but he does call penalties WCHA officials refuse to call, like diving. And UND isn't exactly angelic when it comes to physical games. We are a physical team and I love that, but sometimes we go overboard.

I am looking back to last years FF game and the penatly on Finley was horrible, I could go back and give you more examples but I do remember him in that game and it was not for the great effort wearing the stripes. it's not hard to out do the WCHA officials. I think the EZAC ones do a decent job. I remember last season against the Dartmouth and SLU that they called a pretty good game.

who would make a better Head of Officials ?

I think the WCHA would HAVE to go external to find one that would benefit the WCHA. I don't know who that would be, though. I'd love to see someone who works with the head of officials for the NHL take over and told to install the NHL's methodology for administration of officials.

I think the WCHA would HAVE to go external to find one that would benefit the WCHA. I don't know who that would be, though. I'd love to see someone who works with the head of officials for the NHL take over and told to install the NHL's methodology for administration of officials.

After listening to Tim's interview with the gentleman from the USHL and how they run their officaiating, I wouldn't mind seeing someone from that league step in. Absolutely nothing will happen though with McCloud running things. He's much to much of an "Old Boys Club" to ever institute any real meaningful changes.

Ditto.

Let's give Todd Anderson credit for carefully reviewing that disallowed goal and particularly for asking one of the linesmen over for his opinion tonight. I hadn't thought the Seawolf was knocked down, but I would have accepted his call because I thought he had at least been thorough.

Let's give Todd Anderson credit for carefully reviewing that disallowed goal and particularly for asking one of the linesmen over for his opinion tonight. I hadn't thought the Seawolf was knocked down, but I would have accepted his call because I thought he had at least been thorough.

Of course he reviewed it carefully.. he is just covering his *ss. I'm not going to give him credit for that.

I'm not really sure where to post this, so I'll try here:

This quote was from the following article in the GF Herald: Declining Scoring Throughout League

"There are lots of conversations going on at this point," WCHA commissioner Bruce McLeod said. "Why don't we seem to have the big scorers anymore? Why did this happen? Is it the way they are trained? Is it the defense, traps? What is it? I don't think anybody has any answers for it right now."

He(McLoed) knows the answers. He can watch games as well as any of us. Call the games by the rules and imagine what the star players(Turris, Oshie, Duncan, Toews, Rau, etc.) could do. The images in my head are scary. And on top of it, he seems to me at least, to be calling out the coaches in the league somewhat. "Is it the way they are trained"....Come on. If they called the game correctly, teams wouldn't slash, hook, hold, etc. Coaches and players would adapt.

The difference of officiating between/throughout the collegiate leagues is scary. It has hurt and will continue to hurt our(WCHA) teams come NCAA playoff time. They shouldn't have to adjust their game for a 2 week stretch.

I watched the game of Ohio State vs. Michigan on CSTV a couple months ago, and Michigan would just dump the puck into a corner and chase it. OSU would hardly hook and hold, to the point of not really breaking the Michigan player's stride, and a penalty was called. And it was called ALL GAME LONG. The players put their sticks in bad positions and penalties were rightfully called. Sure, it took me a while to adjust to just watching it, but I somehow managed to. Barely. It was scary. I didn't know how I did it.

"Some ideas that have been tossed around, according to McLeod, are enlarging nets, shrinking goalie pads, eliminating ties or becoming stricter on obstruction calls, like the NHL or international play."

What gets me, after reading the article, is how come ideas are only being tossed around by the NCAA Rules committee? That's the best they can come up with? Obviously, since quite a few of the players in our league as well as college hockey overall will go on to play hockey at the next level, the first objective would be to mirror the NHL as much as possible. It shouldn't be this difficult.

End Rant.

I watched the game of Ohio State vs. Michigan on CSTV a couple months ago, and Michigan would just dump the puck into a corner and chase it. OSU would hardly hook and hold, to the point of not really breaking the Michigan player's stride, and a penalty was called. And it was called ALL GAME LONG. The players put their sticks in bad positions and penalties were rightfully called. Sure, it took me a while to adjust to just watching it, but I somehow managed to. Barely. It was scary. I didn't know how I did it.

End Rant.

Nice post and there wouldn't be as much parity in the league if they called the games like the CCHA does.