SiouxSports.com Forum

The BETTY - less than 6 weeks away!

SiouxMeNow

OK, I have to admit the love coming my way from you guys is more than a little freaky. I found the link to the MSU game at the REA from 2002. Beavers draw 7542

I don't know how I remembered that (actually I do, I think it was disbelief that you guys drew 7000 for the Beavers). I doubt that kind of attendance would be the norm for ooc games, but I say if the building's available play in it.

I'm not sure what the deal was with that Minot game drawing so well. By way of comparison, the other non-conference games played at the Ralph (aside from the Kansas game) have been UMC in 2001-02 (1812) and Minnesota-Morris last year (2278).

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what the deal was with that Minot game drawing so well. By way of comparison, the other non-conference games played at the Ralph (aside from the Kansas game) have been UMC in 2001-02 (1812) and Minnesota-Morris last year (2278).

Those two examples pretty much make my theory bunk. But I guess you would have to try and estimate what those games would have drawn at Hyslop. Also, the "newness" of the REA is pretty much offset by the "newness" of the Betty.

But in the long run, I think you're right. Have one arena you bball team can call home. Unless you're expecting a huge crowd (conference championship on the line or something like that) play all games in the Betty.

I hope the "poor ice" situation has been resolved, considering all the new activity about to take place over the REA ice sheet.

You all can throw numbers around, and talk about attendence and blah, blah, blah... but IMO, if they built a basketball arena, play basketball there. Not in the hockey rink. :0

I was way cool here well before you started feeding me tips like L&M Brats and the Grinder with the Double Taco Meat SiouxMeNow. ;):p:0:)

correct me if I'm wrong but frankenstein was just a junked-together pile of dead body parts and totally DEAD before the good Doc infused him with life!!! Who's your daddy???

Will the Betty sell Liquor? If not, that is probably another reason to play as many games as possible in REA

Will Gene Taylor ever be able to take a normal sh*t in his life while you're teetering on the edge of athletic mediocrity and ALUMNI DEMANDS??? time to head for the BUNKER!! (and hope he has his checkbook out because he's as close as you guys have to a ralph...and his balance is a little lacking)

Will Gene Taylor ever be able to take a normal sh*t in his life while you're teetering on the edge of athletic mediocrity and ALUMNI DEMANDS??? time to head for the BUNKER!! (and hope he has his checkbook out because he's as close as you guys have to a ralph...and his balance is a little lacking)

I don't usually do this but I have to give that post a WTF. And just for good measure, :0:lol:;)

I don't usually do this but I have to give that post a WTF. And just for good measure, :):D:huh:

exactly what do you disagree with??? Hasn't Erv been trying to sell the naming rights to the FargoBarn for about 10 years now? and what has he come up with??? 000000000000000000 it's still called the FargoBarn!!!!!! MOOOOOOOOO!! ?????????

exactly what do you disagree with??? Hasn't Erv been trying to sell the naming rights to the FargoBarn for about 10 years now? and what has he come up with??? 000000000000000000 it's still called the FargoBarn!!!!!! MOOOOOOOOO!! ?????????

you guys at the Ag college kill me....always bitching about Ralph but you don't have ONE alumni who's willing to pony up any SIGNIFICANT dough for your institution...what does THAT say about you??? ??????

YEAH!! With some computer generated "renderings" from the original plans from a YEAR AGO!!! Can't they get someone from the "cage liner" to go out and snap a couple pics of the new place?? PLUS - this was nothing that hasn't been on TV (8& 11) in the last 2 weeks....

i sense the sound of SUCKING AIR HERE!!!

Some of you will be very happy to know that the basketball schedules have been changed. It appears that every single home basketball game up until the Jan 14th conference opener will be played at the Betty.

So it looks like that building will get plenty of game time this season.

And who knows, maybe the teams will like it enough to demand all the conference games get played in there, too.

It does appear that the philosophy has changed and that most games will be played in the Betty. That is better for all concerned - a better atmosphere, it will seem like a nearly full house more often, REA will still be able to sell beer, etc. One of the down sides is that, in bringing in so many new non-conference teams, one of the selling points was playing in the Ralph. UND might have a bit of "egg on their face" but this will still be the nicest facility any of those teams play in all year.

For comparison's sake, the new schedules:women men vs. the old: men & women

In short, the 4 NC games that were going to be at Ralph were moved to Betty. I still think it would be nice if Betty were an actual home to the basketball teams instead of a practice / non-conference venue.

Regarding photos, they're pretty obsessively photographing the construction over at REA's site.

Another part of the two-arena fiasco is that with the new schedule, the conference home opener is the first game at the Ralph. So the team will be lucky to have a week of practice at the Ralph before playing in the foreign setting. That is quite the home-field advantage. :) This whole situation gets more messed up as time goes by. I am still trying to figure a good reason for all this.

I am still trying to figure a good reason for all this.

- To get out of playing games in a building in need of repair?

- To get badly needed additional training space for all the athletes?

- To get the recruiting advantages of both a new building and The Ralph?

- To have television-ready facilities?

- To be able to sell adult beverages?

- To give people something to second-guess on an internet board?

Sicakota - you beat me in responding to teamsioux's question and you did a good job of highlighting the reasons. I am sure we could have both added a few more bullets to your list! While it may complicate things a bit - taking advantage of the opportunity to move to the Betty was a no-brainer!

I am not arguing against the Betty, that is not what I meant, it is this craziness of two home-courts. We have went over the pros and cons of the Hyslop and the Betty before...no reason to rehash those ideas. This is all about the Betty. If the place is so great, which I hope and think it will be, lets build a new home court tradition and advantage in the Betty. I am the first one for that, but that isn't really going to be possible if we don't switch all games to the Betty. I really don't think that the Ralph is going to land us those big recruits if we don't start winning more consistently, which can be accomplished easier by having a nice advantage at home. The Betty should be able to sell itself to recruits, maybe even better than the lifeless bb atmosphere at the Ralph. Anyone who thinks that what this program(men's) needs to be recharged is the Ralph, is probably dreaming because I highly doubt that the Ralph is ever going to be a great bb venue.

I really don't think the way to an NCC title is to practice in the gym for about a week and then play 4 consectutive home games there. It is proven that to win in the NCC, you had better win most of your games at home. This is definitely not a situation condusive to that.

The ralph is a hockey arena. Get over it people. I don't want to hear one more person say that for the big games they have the lower bowl of the ralph. Also, the Betty is not a practice facility. It is the home of fighting sioux basketball and vball. I have never tried to compare the hyslop to betty. I just don't understand why they didn't just make it 5-6,000 and then they wouldn't even have to worry about "the lower bowl" A new arena is bound to strike up a little bit more interest. I would be happy if they announced there will never be another basketball game in the Ralph, except if it was against Kansas again! :)

I'm not sure whether Glas would prefer to play all games at the Betty, but Roebuck made his opinion clear in the article in last Saturday's Herald:

All UND home volleyball matches will be played at the Sioux Center. And most of UND nonconference men's and women's basketball games are targeted for the new venue.

UND's games against North Central Conference opponents are scheduled for Ralph Engelstad Arena.

"Really, I'd like to see all of our games (in the Sioux Center)," Roebuck said. "It's a great facility. There isn't a bad seat in the house."

Glas would prefer to play all their games in the Betty.  Obviously, he hopes that improved success will cause attendance to increase to the point where they may be forced to move some games to the Ralph.

So do Roebuck, Glas or even RT have much input with regard to which arena the games will be played in, or is the decision essentially made 100% by REA? I want what's best for UND athletics, of course, but I don't necessarily trust Todd Berning to make that call since I would think such decisions as where home games should be played should be part of the a.d.'s job.

The BESC will host several events to celebrate its grand opening. The official grand opening will commence on Tuesday, August 24th with a news conference and ribbon cutting at 2:00 p.m., and will be highlighted at 8:00 p.m. with the main event, a Musical Evening with Martin Short. The event will feature Short