SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU QB in trouble or is he?

darell1976

First MIP....nope. Repeated MIPs or DUI, then I have issues......things probably need to get much tougher then.

I'd be interested in your opinion on this if Jenson were the UND QB.... but I agree... mostly.

First MIP, I agree. First DUI? Nope.

DUI is a different beast. All it takes is one drunk driver to do serious harm. It doesn't matter if it is his first or his 23rd.

A MIP is nearly a rite of passage on most campuses, and not just for athletes. Repeated MIPs and/or DUI borders on stupid, and deserve to be treated as such.

Would agree with you. Have been able to visit with Coach Bohl occasionally in the am when getting a cup of coffee. He seems very level headed and a no non-sense guy. I'm sure he takes these alcohol infractions seriously.

I'd be interested in your opinion on this if Jenson were the UND QB.... but I agree... mostly.

DUI is a different beast. All it takes is one drunk driver to do serious harm. It doesn't matter if it is his first or his 23rd.

I second this. A DUI is totally different and is borderline grounds for a dismissal from the team IMO. We need to get stricter about DUIs, just as a society. Accountablity is a huge issue with people nowadays, if a player gets a minor of course I don't condone it, but I don't feel the first one is grounds for a suspension. DUI is definitely grounds for suspension.

A MIP is nearly a rite of passage on most campuses, and not just for athletes. Repeated MIPs and/or DUI borders on stupid, and deserve to be treated as such.

Anyone else think this as more fodder to convince people that the alcohol problem on college campuses really is worse than we think?

I think this statement is depressing and rather telling to be truthful.

Anyone else think this as more fodder to convince people that the alcohol problem on college campuses really is worse than we think?

I think this statement is depressing and rather telling to be truthful.

Very depressing. The culture of alcohol consumption definitely changes once you get to college. Its "cool" now to get wasted beyond recognition.

Why are you critical of Bohl for not suspending Jensen for a first MIP, when Hakstol didn't suspend Kristo for his first? And Kristo's second got him a suspension for an exhibition game, That will teach him ???

For one thing, I didn't know it was a first time for Jensen. Secondly a game is still a game. At least that proved that you do it more than once you are suspended.

For one thing, I didn't know it was a first time for Jensen. Secondly a game is still a game. At least that proved that you do it more than once you are suspended.

I think everyone would know if it were his second. The Fargo media will not let any legal trouble a Bison athlete gets into go unreported. Perhaps if Hakstols punishment had been harsher, it would have taught Kristo a bigger lesson and he wouldn't be in the situation he is in now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

I think everyone would know if it were his second. The Fargo media will not let any legal trouble a Bison athlete gets into go unreported. Perhaps if Hakstols punishment had been harsher, it would have taught Kristo a bigger lesson and he wouldn't be in the situation he is in now.

Haha, wow, quite a jerk comment wouldn't you say? Like a 20 year old kid needs lessons to know whats right and wrong. Booze is all around for these athletes, who are we to act like they aren't going to partake. I guess we could say the same thing about your beloved QB.

Very depressing. The culture of alcohol consumption definitely changes once you get to college. Its "cool" now to get wasted beyond recognition.

Could you imagine what the US would be like if the following two things occurred:

1. Alcohol ceased to exist

2. TV and Video Games ceased to exist

I think more than 75% of the current population of people between 12-50 would commit suicide.

Meanwhile more and more people have less and less people skills and even less ability to handle stress and criticism. Is this advancing as a society?

Could you imagine what the US would be like if the following two things occurred:

1. Alcohol ceased to exist

2. TV and Video Games ceased to exist

I think more than 75% of the current population of people between 12-50 would commit suicide.

Meanwhile more and more people have less and less people skills and even less ability to handle stress and criticism. Is this advancing as a society?

Just wait. We have barely scrapped the surface. Just imagine in 5+ yrs as quickly as technology is changing. I have cousins who are now getting into high school who I'm pretty sure have never read a complete book (50+ pages). Not even a Goosebumps or Matt Christopher book!

Don't get me wrong, I played video games, probably too much. But what we as a society sow is what we'll reap. The more anti social we become and media dependent, thats when we're in trouble. Major trouble.

Because the Fargo Media is public enemy of the NDSU football team. Whatever.

Personally I really have issues with the drinking age being 21. I was raised when I could go and drink in Montana at 18......and it seems to me that if you are old enough to give your life in Iraq or Afganistan, old enough to decide who runs this nation.....then we damn well ought to let you have a beer.

Now....as to the MIP issue. No kid ought to loose a scholie or get kicked off the team for MIP. Repeated ones may indicate a deeper problem....and of course, like you said DUI is different entirely. And, our athletes are indeed held to a higher standard than most college kids as they are public figures representing our schools. So, the QBs ought to get some measure of punishment over an above what the average college kid gets, but it is in no means serious enough to yank a schollie.

Now.......if it were one of MY kids that got one at the U of WYO........there would indeed be holy hell to pay at home. (Here it could jeapordize their Hathaway Scholarship).

• Upvote 1

I must have been one of the odd ones. I quit drinking when I turned 18 because I did not want to get in trouble. I didn't want anything on my record. And yes, I was the coolest guy in college. :D

• Upvote 1

I must have been one of the odd ones. I quit drinking when I turned 18 because I did not want to get in trouble. I didn't want anything on my record. And yes, I was the coolest guy in college. :D

You are odd.

I investigated several social groups both religious and secular in GF, Fargo, Omaha, and Seattle (every place I've lived for more than 1 year) and noticed that social groups in my age group basically pattern their activities around alcohol. Everything is "[whatever] and wine/alcohol of whatever variety" or "Schmooze with booze at the Bar."

Funny... the 20-30s group at my synnagogue went dormant because they ran out of permutations that does anything other than consume alcohol.

Personally I really have issues with the drinking age being 21. I was raised when I could go and drink in Montana at 18......and it seems to me that if you are old enough to give your life in Iraq or Afganistan, old enough to decide who runs this nation.....then we damn well ought to let you have a beer.

I agree with this, but I'd add really tough penalties for drinking and driving, up to and including if you're drunk and kill someone with a car you face the death penalty.