SiouxSports.com Forum

Alerus Center

Local Boy

In another thread, I had suggested that if the management of the REA took over the Alerus, large cost savings would be possible.

Yesterday, from the Columbus Dispatch, there was a story on Schottenstein Center (OSU's arena) and Nationwide Arena (Columbus Blue Jacket's arena) were able to save $1 miilion annually by consolidating management:

OSU management of both Schottenstein and Nationwide saves $1 million annually

In the past year, the total revenue for the Schottenstein Center dropped $851,784. But because the center cut $840,367 in expenses, it still ended the fiscal year on June 30 with more than $1 million in net operating income, according to financial statements.

Alerus Center Seeks Funds

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/210822/

Okay, I wasn't anywhere near voting age when the referendum for the Alerus Center passed in 1998 and I normally don't get involved in city politics, but I must say that this is getting a bit old.

Wait till you buy a house and have to pay property taxes. :ohmy:

In another thread, I had suggested that if the management of the REA took over the Alerus, large cost savings would be possible.

Yesterday, from the Columbus Dispatch, there was a story on Schottenstein Center (OSU's arena) and Nationwide Arena (Columbus Blue Jacket's arena) were able to save $1 miilion annually by consolidating management:

OSU management of both Schottenstein and Nationwide saves $1 million annually

I think that would be a very beneficial move. The problem is that you would have to get the city leaders to butt out because they have been part of the problem.

The other thing is that the Alerus Gang has a big problem with the Ralph. They often complain that their poor results are because of the Ralph competing with them.

I think that would be a very beneficial move. The problem is that you would have to get the city leaders to butt out because they have been part of the problem.

The other thing is that the Alerus Gang has a big problem with the Ralph. They often complain that their poor results are because of the Ralph competing with them.

If Columbus can't afford two 19,000 arenas without cooperation between the two, how the he** does Grand Forks think it can afford two 12,000 + arenas without doing the same level of cooperation.

What I find unfathomable about Grand Forks is that different government organizations just cannot seem to cooperate on anything. The City, County, Park Board, and School District all go in different directions with very little cooperation and vision between them.

Just get 'er done, ego's be damned, and save the taxpayers $500,000.

Quick question...

Are the two arenas in Columbus publicly owned, thus making a cooperation more feasible than in GF with a publicly owned Alerus and a privately owned Ralph?

The situation is almost identical.

Nationwide Arena is owned by the city of Columbus, while Schottenstein Center is owned by an Ohio State U Foundation.

• 3 weeks later...

It will be interesting to see how the new management structure of the Alerus comes together. First up is the liquor licensing, I'm sure. Here's a good article that gets right to the point of the financial reporting....

http://plainsdaily.com/entry/alerus-center-averages-operating-losses-of-over-50000-for-past-decade/

What will be interesting to see is if a certain councilman benefits from this move by taking over the liquor sales at the Alerus Center. They are going to have to hire a local bar or liquor store to supply the beer/alcohol and also run the operation. The Bismarck Civic Center does that to get around the law. They have Captain Jacks supply it and then get 55% of the take.