SiouxSports.com Forum

Did this one slip away...

nodak hockey fanatic

nice article about former roseau goalie mike lee. i know last year there was alot of talk on here that we should be going after him. looks like they were right. sounds like st. cloud found another blue chip goalie. does anyone know if we made an effort to go after him? or did having eidsness coming in this year deter him?

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&a...rticleid=379298

nice article about former roseau goalie mike lee. i know last year there was alot of talk on here that we should be going after him. looks like they were right. sounds like st. cloud found another blue chip goalie. does anyone know if we made an effort to go after him? or did having eidsness coming in this year deter him?

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&a...rticleid=379298

Recall that the Greico problem didn't materialize until part way through last season so I doubt the UND staff had given much consideration or effort to recruiting Lee.

Recall that the Greico problem didn't materialize until part way through last season so I doubt the UND staff had given much consideration or effort to recruiting Lee.

Mike Lee did not commit to SCSU until long after the Greico problem, so that is not the issue. From talking with several Roseau people and former Roseau players, Mike Lee wanted to play for the Sioux, and was talked to by the Sioux, but the interest appeared lukewarm. Apparently, the coaching staff is very high on Brad Eidsness, which probably explains why they did not recruit Mike Lee very hard. You know the old saying about "you go where you are wanted." It remains to be seen whether the Sioux made a mistake or missed, but it appears that Mike Lee is very good. Recruiting is not a perfect science. As great as Dean Blais was/is as a coach, he made a mistake with Grant Potulny and Dan Irmen. You can't get them all.

Mike Lee did not commit to SCSU until long after the Greico problem, so that is not the issue. From talking with several Roseau people and former Roseau players, Mike Lee wanted to play for the Sioux, and was talked to by the Sioux, but the interest appeared lukewarm. Apparently, the coaching staff is very high on Brad Eidsness, which probably explains why they did not recruit Mike Lee very hard. You know the old saying about "you go where you are wanted." It remains to be seen whether the Sioux made a mistake or missed, but it appears that Mike Lee is very good. Recruiting is not a perfect science. As great as Dean Blais was/is as a coach, he made a mistake with Grant Potulny and Dan Irmen. You can't get them all.

What you said is pretty much what I heard.

Regardless of what really happened, if there is one area where Blais didn't always choose wisely it was goaltenders.

He didn't do too bad. He recruited Aaron Schweitzer and Karl Goehring. I believe he also recruited Jordan Parise.

There was quite a dry spell between Goehring and Parise. I don't think anybody was really thinking Parise would be the goalie he turned out to be. I think that was more luck than anything else. Blais did a great job, however, in getting Goehring. That's one goalie the easties sure wish they'd have had.

There was quite a dry spell between Goehring and Parise. I don't think anybody was really thinking Parise would be the goalie he turned out to be. I think that was more luck than anything else. Blais did a great job, however, in getting Goehring. That's one goalie the easties sure wish they'd have had.

The only other ones in between were Jake Brandt, who was good, and Josh Siembida, who did not work out. Kollar started out well as a backup, but struggled as the top goalie. I'm not so sure that Blais didn't also recruit JPL. I'm pretty sure he did, because Phil almost went to UM when Irmen and Ryan Potulny committed to UM. Blais' reputation for goalies is undeserved. A lot of teams, including UM, would have liked to have Schweitzer, Goehring, Brandt, Parise and Lamoureux. Kollar and Siembida did not work out well, but every program has that (except maybe Wisconsin).

The only other ones in between were Jake Brandt, who was good, and Josh Siembida, who did not work out. Kollar started out well as a backup, but struggled as the top goalie. I'm not so sure that Blais didn't also recruit JPL. I'm pretty sure he did, because Phil almost went to UM when Irmen and Ryan Potulny committed to UM. Blais' reputation for goalies is undeserved. A lot of teams, including UM, would have liked to have Schweitzer, Goehring, Brandt, Parise and Lamoureux. Kollar and Siembida did not work out well, but every program has that (except maybe Wisconsin).

I seem to recall Siembida choosing us over Michigan State. His stats may have been better in the CCHA.

I'm not so sure that Blais didn't also recruit JPL.

I am pretty sure that JPL was a Blais recruit. He was here through Hak's first four years which would probably mean he was recruited by Blaiser. IIRC I thought there was talk about bringing in Lammy a year before he came to UND.

The Blais reputation for having bad goaltending came entirely from the year when Kollar struggled as a starter, Siembeda was obtained, played two good games, then couldn't stop the puck, which lead to the mad scramble of trying to find a tender that year. The reputation was mostly embellished by the plethora of Gopher fans that began posting about it. It seems funny in retrospect that the history of Sioux goaltending starting with the Gino era and continuing with Blais and Hakstol, is that the Sioux have, except for one year, had excellent goaltending, which is in total contrast to the almost constant stream of sieves that have run through the Gopher program (with just a couple arguable exceptions). The words Gopher, good, and goaltending will seldom appear in the same sentence, except for the die-hards that follow that team. :huh:

Watch for Goon to post about good gopher goaltending, which will occur immediateley before hell freezes over.

Ironic that yet another thread on here that has nothing to do with the Gophers incites "Gopher-bashing" comments... :(

And here you are trolling and waiting to pounce on it so you can report back to GPL about how "all" of the Sioux fans turn every thread into a Gophers-bashing festival. :huh: Please get a life. Again, don't you have a crappy and biased blog to write??

Ironic that yet another thread on here that has nothing to do with the Gophers incites "Gopher-bashing" comments... :huh:

im not sure that is ironic? a goofer fan tripping in a gopher hole and being eaten alive by overgrown rabid gophers is more along the lines of irony. but it is rather amusing that a goofer fan trolls a fighting sioux board to patrol any goofer bashing.

And here you are trolling and waiting to pounce on it so you can report back to GPL about how "all" of the Sioux fans turn every thread into a Gophers-bashing festival. :huh: Please get a life. Again, don't you have a crappy and biased blog to write??

Sorry to break it to you, but it's pretty much established on GPL (and every other team / college hockey-related message board) that the Minnesota obsession around here is off the charts. It's just fun to remind the locals of it to watch the replies come rolling in ... fish in a barrel. :(

Sorry to break it to you, but it's pretty much established on GPL (and every other team / college hockey-related message board) that the Minnesota obsession around here is off the charts. It's just fun to remind the locals of it to watch the replies come rolling in ... fish in a barrel. :huh:

No, that so-called obsession is created by you. Explain why you sent an email to Hammy today telling him about another thread on the Sioux message board with 8 posts and the 9th post talks about your beloved Gophers? Busted again. I frankly could not give a crap if a few Gopher fans on GPL obsess about the Sioux or the Badgers or anyone else because it does matter. Apparently, you want to reinforce your own belief that everyone obsesses about the Gophers. Fish in a barrel? Hardly. You claiming to be clever is like bragging about being the smartest kid with Down's Syndrome.

Sorry to break it to you, but it's pretty much established on GPL (and every other team / college hockey-related message board) that the Minnesota obsession around here is off the charts. It's just fun to remind the locals of it to watch the replies come rolling in ... fish in a barrel. :huh:

You've also pretty much established here that you "really do care" what Sioux fans post. The Gopher message board posters created the bad goalie, toss them in the river idea that, because of the huge number of posts, became "truth" in regards to Blais and goalies, that's why the gopher fans are mentioned in this thread. I won't be at GPL to point out what has been well established here as Gopher obsession over the Sioux.

I might be wrong here, but I thought it was universally known that Gopher fans come on here regularly to make sure that their beloved Gophers aren't being talked about. And, if they are, they are required to immediately report back to GPL and tell their fellow Gopher fans the exact details of the situation. That seems to be how it goes down from what I've seen. :(

The truth of the matter is, that yes, the Gophers do get talked about here. Why? Because they are our biggest rival for hockey. So obviously they will get mentioned (and ripped on occasionally...but that's just in good fun :D ). IMO, they get brought up a bit too much, but maybe that's just me. Everyone is entitled to post what they want.

The funny thing is though that I notice the exact same thing over on GPL whenever I happen to head over there to see what's going on. There will be a thread talking about some Gopher-related subject, when someone will just throw in a Sioux-bash without being provoked. Same situation.

The only difference that I can see between the two situations is that I don't remember ever seeing a Sioux fan on ss.com posting "you guys should go to GPL and see what is being said about the Sioux in this thread". Apparantly that is the norm for the GPL folk though, as that appears to be quite common over there.

Tattling = The Gopher Way :huh:

I might be wrong here, but I thought it was universally known that Gopher fans come on here regularly to make sure that their beloved Gophers aren't being talked about. And, if they are, they are required to immediately report back to GPL and tell their fellow Gopher fans the exact details of the situation. That seems to be how it goes down from what I've seen. :(

The truth of the matter is, that yes, the Gophers do get talked about here. Why? Because they are our biggest rival for hockey. So obviously they will get mentioned (and ripped on occasionally...but that's just in good fun :D ). IMO, they get brought up a bit too much, but maybe that's just me. Everyone is entitled to post what they want.

The funny thing is though that I notice the exact same thing over on GPL whenever I happen to head over there to see what's going on. There will be a thread talking about some Gopher-related subject, when someone will just throw in a Sioux-bash without being provoked. Same situation.

The only difference that I can see between the two situations is that I don't remember ever seeing a Sioux fan on ss.com posting "you guys should go to GPL and see what is being said about the Sioux in this thread". Apparantly that is the norm for the GPL folk though, as that appears to be quite common over there.

Tattling = The Gopher Way :huh:

They like it with a little cream and sugar over there.

I might be wrong here, but I thought it was universally known that Gopher fans come on here regularly to make sure that their beloved Gophers aren't being talked about.

Copy right Bucky_Sieve and Cardinal... :D:D:huh::(

And, if they are, they are required to immediately report back to GPL and tell their fellow Gopher fans the exact details of the situation. That seems to be how it goes down from what I've seen.

The truth of the matter is, that yes, the Gophers do get talked about here. Why? Because they are our biggest rival for hockey. So obviously they will get mentioned (and ripped on occasionally...but that's just in good fun ). IMO, they get brought up a bit too much, but maybe that's just me. Everyone is entitled to post what they want.

Why is that? I think life is to short to sweat the small crap like: if someone is dissing my teams crappy goaltending or hockey coach. I mean are we in high school? Hell, I am past my 20 year reunion.

There are far more important things in life to worry about than that. ie, is it going to be a successful ducking hunting opener, what jersey am I going to wear to the opener, is there enough beer in the hunting shack fridge etc. The price of gas, steel shot, REA beer prices, if the fighting Sioux name is going to change and what stupid name are they going to replace it with.

You've also pretty much established here that you "really do care" what Sioux fans post. The Gopher message board posters created the bad goalie, toss them in the river idea that, because of the huge number of posts, became "truth" in regards to Blais and goalies, that's why the gopher fans are mentioned in this thread. I won't be at GPL to point out what has been well established here as Gopher obsession over the Sioux.

Over on the Daily Kos they have a troll factor (No I am not a big fan of that blog or the blog owner), we should have Jim add that to this message board. :huh: