SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux/MTU

jk

While I doubt that it will be as easy as it was two weeks ago, the Sioux handled MTU in Houghton and should be able to do the same at REA.  I hope the team practices well this week, because Saturday's loss has the potential to be devastating psychologically to the team.  If they can show up with the same kind of passion and energy they had last weekend (or close to it), I think they should do fine.  If they lay an egg (like Friday against Mankato or AA), they will lose.

There is a chance MTU will fold its tent up this weekend, after losing close games at Winter Carnival.  Positive motivations would be to win in beautiful REA and to gain some revenge for the series a few eeeks ago.

Someone on the internet (nimiller?) wrote that Ryan Connelly might be out for the year.  Anyone have any information?

I'm also wondering about the status of Fournier.  Bummer to try to return from a concussion against MTU - that's a good way to get another.

Based on what I saw last weekend, if there is one forward spot open and a choice needs to be made between B. Connelly and Faul, I would choose Faul.  I like attacking hockey, and he was definitely scrapping out there.

With all the recent talk of Kollar playing again, and with the youngsters average lately, I think he'll play a game this weekend.  If so, I hope he does well.

Also, how's Schneekloth?

I, too, think that Kollar will get a start this weekend.  I haven't heard any rumors to that effect but I'm hoping Blaier gives him one more chance.  If he does poorly, it'll be his last game played in a Sioux jersey.  If he does well, maybe it is the beginning of a hot streak.  We all know what a difference a hot goaltender can make come playoff time.  Go Andy!

I am finally getting a chance to get to the REA.  I was able to get tickets to Saturday's MTU game.  I plan on getting to the arena an hour before game time to check out the palace.  Is that enough time?  What are some "do not miss" things/places to see?

Well, I like the Sioux history video on the big screens in the ticket lobby.  Also, you are going to want to look at all the old pictures on the upper and lower levels (and also the suite level, if you can sneak in there).  That's going to take you at least an hour (you may need to grab a beer or a Mike's along the way!) - and it will give you a good walk through the whole arena.

But if you can swing it, call ahead and see if you can get a tour of ice level.  To me, that is the most amazing part of the arena - the locker rooms, the weight room, training and PT room, player's lounge, cooling plant, etc.

Just got back from the Grand Cities. What a nasty dirt storm on Monday. Brought back bad memories from the 70's. Guess the RRV farmers will never leave any cover on that soil. Think I sprouted a sugar beet from each nostril today.

Wish I could have stuck around for the weekend since tickets will no doubt be available. Didn't try but can one get into the REA to look around on a week day???

Will be back the weekend Denver is there (for kids hockey). Think there is any chance there will be left over student tickets for those games?

Will be back the weekend Denver is there (for kids hockey). Think there is any chance there will be left over student tickets for those games?

sprig,

You might want to ask around, we were in Dag Woods for the games against MSU-Mankato and the bar maid gave my buddies tickets out of the blue for free. There seems to be a lot people that have had simular types of things happen to them.

With the way the team has played there are probably going to be extra from people that doing something else those evenings. Good luck to you...

PHE and others why do you guys think that ANDY deserves another chance? So I refresh your memory.

UND and Blaiser doesn't owe Andy anything else. He got his 13 games, he isn't prepared mentally to play lets let one of the kids get some experience so Blaiser can know if we have to recruit a few more goalies for next season. Really, I am not sure why some feel that Andy still deserves a chance.

Goon,

I don't think I intended to infer that UND "owed" Andy another chance.  Likewise I would have a hard time arguing that Andy "deserves" another chance after the horrible year he's had.  I do, however "hope" he gets that opportunity.  Josh and Jake have leveled off recently and I think Blaiser is looking for a spark.  Andy's stats coming into this year were excellent: 2.66 GAA and a 91% Save %.  You might claim those as ancient and irrelevant, I don't.  His soph and junior years showed that he has the ability to be a goalie that can make a difference.  Further, he put up great numbers filling in for Karl in post season games.

I don' know for sure if Blais will give him a shot.  How many coaches would start a goalie who hasn't played since Dec 7?  Not many.  Would Blais?  In a New York minute, if he thought it would give the team a lift heading into the playoffs.  Blais seems to have a knack for having his hunches play out successfully.

I say give Andy one more game.  What have we to lose?  One less game for Josh or Jake will not stunt their development.  Maybe, just maybe, Andy will get hot and we can go into Mariucci or Kohl and pull an upset.

I may be best remembered as one of Andy's biggest critics.  After our first loss this year I was commenting how our biggest problem seems to be goaltending -- Andy often doesn't look comfortably positioned and sometimes seemed a little surprised to find himself in the way of the puck.

That said, I still think he's probably our best goaltender.  It's a tough adjustment coming off years of record-setting Goehring & Schweitzer.

Geez, PHE, I posted almost the exact same thing just now on another board.

Goon can't kill us both, can he?:);)

dagies,

Great minds think alike, eh?

I just hope that if Andy is given a chance, he doesn't fall on his face.  I'd be red-faced if he did.

The bottom line is this: Blais wouldn't give Andy a start unless he has proven in practice that he is ready to go.  As always, I'll trust the judgment of Blaiser and his staff to make the right decisions.

BTW, if your similar post was on the USCHO board I didn't see it.  Not because I missed it; rather because I've given up viewing that board.  I'm tired of trying to sort through all the BS that comes with too many idiotic posters.

Don't tell me you're tired of reading about doz or zod or misc. BS.

My vote is to give Andy a last shot. He was a true warrior for the team the last couple of years and pulled out some great games on the last 2 roads to the FF.

Andy deserves his shot to go out with a blais (pun intended)of glory. My understanding is he is really outstanding in practise and desrves to make things right.

Sioux Sweep!!! Spiewak & Noterman finally quit hitting posts & dominate this weekend.

Don't tell me you're tired of reading about doz or zod or misc. BS.

Sioux Sweep!!! Spiewak & Noterman finally quit hitting posts & dominate this weekend.

I am sick and tired of the ZOD crap. I think you can put pig on that list too...

Any body wounder if UND is ever going to be any good this season, I thought after the 5 wins in a row UND would get going...

UND has a new a $100,000.00 dollar palace and we can't win it. UND also can't get a goaltender to win a game for us and our forwards keep hitting pipes, our defensemen assist on game winning goals... Talk about bad Karma.

What the He!! it can't get any worse let Andy get his start. It is sure going to suck not seeing UND in the final five this season. Oh well got my tickets anyways...

I remember you and Michael Jackson singing that duet back in the late 80's....."I'm a lova, not a fighta"!

Yes, enough with Zod.

I would like to see Notermann hit a few posts.  Most of the time he is hitting wide of the net.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not cranking on him.  But he would have a few more goals if he would make the goalie make a save.  good things happen....Just seems so many times it goes wide.

Good things are going to happen this weekend.  I felt this way last week too, so it MUST happen this week!

WAY TO GO SIOUX!

Congratulations to Sioux players like Massen, Bochenski, McMahon, Canady, Spiewak that scored goals tonite.  Especially to Massen for a HAT TRICK!!!!

Hopefully this will give the boys some confidence.  Now we have to make sure we don't come into tomorrow's game overconfident and lazy.

Good job Andy Kollar.  I've said all along that good things will happen if Blais puts Andy in nets.      :)

Nice to see CC take one at MN.  Maybe they can sweep tomorrow night.

Good interview with Andy Kollar after the game tonite.  You can really root for Andy after hearing an interview like that.  He was very honest about his performance, and his struggles.

Tim mentioned the nice ovation Andy got when he was introduced.  He said "The crowd like you Andy".

Andy says "I don't know why, I keep letting 40-50 footers through my legs".  Brutal honesty.

Sounds like Andy admitted to struggling again tonite on a shot.  Says he is struggling in this rink.

Wow!  Those boys had a little pent-up frustration, wouldn't you say?  

GREAT to see Massen get a hat-trick.  We desperately need another forward who can cause some damage up front.  I surely hope this gives Massen the confidence to crash the net hard more often.

As for Kollar, he plays pretty well in-close, but again tonight a long-bomber got through his legs and nearly into the net.  Luckily for him, it hit the post.  He's a good guy, but he seems to have lost his edge from a couple seasons ago.

This is one of those games that makes you wonder what will happen tomorrow?  Will the Sioux revel in their single-game blow-out and blow another game at home?  Will they come back with the same fire, realizing their home record this year still stinks?  We shall see....

Go Sioux.

Great win by the Sioux. Effort by everybody. They have to come back & repeat the same tomorrow.

Get the blood & intensity rolling for the stretch run.

Couple of miscues by Andy tonight, but he sures knows what he has to do to finish out strong, admitted it in his postgame interview tonight. Had the balls to talk about it.

I'd take an experienced player anytime in a pressure sitiuation over a rookie. Give Andy time to work out the bugs this series & go with him for the finals.  We saw what the rooks can do, go with the experieince.

Here's my thoughts on last night.  Despite the fact that Tech decided not to show up, I was impressed with the Sioux.  They showed intensity, carried over from last Saturday.  Their passing was better than I've seen it all year.  

Highlights for me:  Spiewak's goal to make it 4-1 was a thing of beauty and Massen's effort on the 9th goal was awesome.  

I still don't know about Andy, but for a pipe, he would have let in another long one.  And he really wasn't tested.  But, he has a great goalie helmet - that alone deserves another start.  :)

I'm excited for tonight's game.  I think the Sioux will come out fired up and I hope Tech does to.  Plus, I lucked out and got a suite ticket - which means free beer (I hope).

I didn't hear any of the game or even catch the Minnesota game, but it sounds like the team played with an intensity they have lacked much of the season.  Good for them, maybe they'll remember how good it feels to win and use it to motivate them the rest of the way.  :)  Nice to see Massen got his first "hat trick" I hope he keeps it up.  One more tonight would be nice.

I couldn't get the game on the net and the news on USCHO was sparse.  Who was in net the first 2 periods and why did Siembida come in for the 3rd??

I would have preferred a bit more comfortable win.  Did the boys get a bit lacksadaisical or did tech really play well tonite???

What did Blais have to say after the game?

Nice to sweep a pair.  Next weekend will be a tough weekend of hockey as I believe Duluth is playing pretty well themselves right now and there will be no easy wins.

Brandt was apparently in net for two periods. Blais said he made the change to shake up the team, apparently they did not have a real good second period (don't know, only heard part of the third). Might have been good to go into the third tied, rather than with a one or two goal lead based on what has happened to other third period leads this year.

Nice to get a sweep at home at any rate. Duluth will not be an easy weekend, but need to sweep to have any chance of moving up in the standings.

Things went about as well as one could hope with teams above the Sioux losing this weekend. Fifth is not out of the question but the next two weekends are tough ones.