SiouxSports.com Forum

The Sioux going down the tubes

SIOUXELEVENS

I have posted this many times before that when Hakstol gave his speach during his press conference anouncing him as the new head coach that most fans wouldn't be able to tell the difference between his and Blais teams, There is a world of difference. Blais had the ability to fire up his guys and get the message through if you don't play hard you sit. What message does Hakstol send by sitting there stone faced and never changing if he is up by 2 or 3 or losing by 5(not sure how his locker room style is though). The coaching staff is responsible for getting these players ready and fired up to play not coming out flat and just going through the motions. What will happen if the Sioux don't go on one of their late season runs and the bus doesn't start to Denver or even St. Paul,hmmm. I posted in the Positive thread how are stars aren't, .9 point per game for Oshie and Duncan don't seem like star quality to me and Chorney seems to have forgotten the style that got him drafted, play defense let the forwards score. The defense last year was stellar for the second half and all we lost was Lee and this year we look like a Chinese fire drill in our own zone most nights. I blame Hakstol because it's his team win or lose. In MHO he should be changing more things, Powerplay, lines and defensive pairings. Being a Sioux season ticket holder for over 20 years and will continue to do so as long as I live here its very frustrating to watch go through the motions and here the post games comments, it is what is, didn't get any breaks and no bounces going our way, sometimes you have to make you own bounces. I don't expect the Sioux to win every game but just compete and show some fire. 24 games and counting that they have been behind going into the third and haven't come back to win, that is attitude more than anything else, not long ago no lead was safe especially in our barn, now if you have a lead going into the third its lights out. Come on Sioux you have the talent but as your coach says talent is worthless is you don't work hard. Go Sioux.

I no longer have any expectations for this team. I will continue to enjoy watching them play, but I expect nothing more from them than I did the 2001-02 Sioux team (which dressed a dozen freshman each night). Like everyone else, I was singing a much different tune in October, but I've seen nothing in the games played thus far that tells me this is a team that can compete for a national title. We expect each week that it will be the series in which they turn the corner, but maybe what's around the corner is nothing different than what we've already seen. Many believe they will get on a winning streak just like they have in recent years, but there's certainly nothing beyond history to indicate that will happen.

My real disappointment in this team is that in the 25+ years I've faithfully followed Sioux hockey, I can't recall a team that approaches most of its games with no apparent purpose. Some nights it's almost like they can't wait to get off the ice and on to something else. From the goal line outward, they seem to be able to cease paying attention at any time during a game regardless of the score or how well they've played to that point. Lately that's come in the 3rd period after playing two periods of solid hockey. I share your bewilderment with this year's defense, Sioux11s. Successful Sioux teams of the past were characterized by dominating the 3rd period and being accountable to each other to skate hard every shift. I understand that some players believe they have "unfinished business" but the lack of consistency and ability to play 60 minutes of hockey night in and night out show otherwise. Nobody is going to hand them a ticket to the Frozen Four and if they truly believe they have "unfinished business" they better wake up soon to the fact that there are 35+ games that need to be played and like everyone else, they must earn the opportunity to finish such business.

I hope I'm wrong in my assessment of mediocrity for this team and that they are able to put together a soon-to-be-necessary streak. Like I said, I will continue to enjoy watching them play and would relish another deep run and the possibility of a national title. But they've reconditioned me to no longer expect anything significant from them and at this point I'm hopeful to simply be able to watch them play a game at the Excel in March.

Last year after the home sweep by Tech I pretty much gave up. I emailed my frustration to a former player I know who responded with a one word answer: "Patience".

As the team went to the Frozen Four, I asked him what he knew that I didn't know. He responded with "I know how good a coach Hak is.".

Hakstol may not be perfect, and there may be things he will do differently in the future, I don't know. I do know this. He's earned my respect and trust in how he handles the team on the bench and in the room. It's a long season and some things may not be fixed with a snap of the finger.

That said, this is a frustrating season to sit through to this point. Like many others, I had higher expectations. However, I remember what I learned last year.

"Patience"

That's one area in which I lack, patience is in short supply. Some days it seems like they have turned the corner and then saturday shows it's ugly head. Win lose or draw still a fan, I just need to vent :lol::lol:

I just hope they win tonight.

Last year after the home sweep by Tech I pretty much gave up. I emailed my frustration to a former player I know who responded with a one word answer: "Patience".

As the team went to the Frozen Four, I asked him what he knew that I didn't know. He responded with "I know how good a coach Hak is.".

Hakstol may not be perfect, and there may be things he will do differently in the future, I don't know. I do know this. He's earned my respect and trust in how he handles the team on the bench and in the room. It's a long season and some things may not be fixed with a snap of the finger.

That said, this is a frustrating season to sit through to this point. Like many others, I had higher expectations. However, I remember what I learned last year.

"Patience"

I can speak with confidence when I say Hak "isn't" perfect. I believe he's very good, no one (I hope) expects him to be perfect.

According to your blog it's sounds like you feel the same way I do. :lol:

I have just about had it being positive. :D I want to see someone step up and play hard and I want to see some veteran defensemen stop making glaring mistakes, I want to see the edge that UND had against the Badgers.

-Lack of intensity - It used to be that if you played the Fighting Sioux, they came at you for 60 minutes. Win, lose, or draw, the other teams knew they had been in a hockey game. The Sioux finished their checks, outworked you, and no lead was safe. Now, comming to the Ralph has to be a favorite trip for many teams.

I used to remember the old saying if you do play with intensity or the game the coaches want you to play, that player will be sitting next to the coaches on the bench or in the stands.

Our D needs to hit more and the forwards need to crash the net more. They are making good chances but need to cash in and Phil needs to play better. I think we need a new goalie to take the pressure off Phil so he can play better. I don't know I am just think outloud.

Our D needs to hit more and the forwards need to crash the net more. They are making good chances but need to cash in and Phil needs to play better. I think we need a new goalie to take the pressure off Phil so he can play better. I don't know I am just think outloud.

How much better can Phil play? It's kind of hard when your D leaves you hanging a lot of the times!

I used to remember the old saying if you do play with intensity or the game the coaches want you to play, that player will be sitting next to the coaches on the bench or in the stands.

No passengers as Blais used to say. Play hard or sit, pretty simple formula. Soohockey, JPL faced two odd man rushes on the last two goals. The first one was weak but if Chorney staples his guy against the back wall no goal.

not going down the tubes in my eyes, now if we drop 3-4 in a row then ill join ya with that phrase but not now. im sure we will split like we always do tonight, amzing how we have done this. we win fridays and lose saturdays at home and do oppsiste on the road i think. i guess it is what it is right now with this team, just get on a roll late and keep that pairwise in a safe 6-10 range in the meantime. GO SIOUX

My skepticism comes in the WCHA playoffs. However, I'm still very optimistic for the NCAAs. I think we'll make the regionals and we seem to be able to beat any team once.

It is just the inconsistency that drives me crazy. How we can go from giving up ZERO shots in one period to giving up three straight goals in the next is beyond me.

Um, a lot better? He gave up two weak goals last night.

there will be a team on the ice tonight that we will see the rest of the year ---

get ready folks the there is no place to go but up :lol:

and don't forget we are a top 10 team 3 wins in a row and you all will be wishing

you were as wise as the triouxp (R.I.P.)

Um, a lot better? He gave up two weak goals last night.

um, yeah he did last night but he has been damn good this year overall. last nights loss wasnt all on him, it was him, the defense and its on our damn offense who cant score

No passengers as Blais used to say. Play hard or sit, pretty simple formula. Soohockey, JPL faced two odd man rushes on the last two goals. The first one was weak but if Chorney staples his guy against the back wall no goal.

It was a weak goal the effort on defense was equally weak, I was disappointed all the way around.