SiouxSports.com Forum

USD considering DIAA

bisonguy

Looks like USD, who adamantly stated that D2 was the right place for them, might be reconsidering-LINK

Can something similar be expected out of Grand Forks soon? If SDSU finds a conference, and USD leaves, I would expect UNO to join the MIAA.

President James Abbott Appoints Committee to do Comprehensive Review of University of South Dakota Athletics

4/2/2003

VERMILLION, S.D. -- President James W. Abbott has announced today that an Athletics Review Committee will conduct a comprehensive review of all athletic programs at The University of South Dakota.

The committee, to be chaired by USD alumna Julie Ehret Greenfield, vice president and trust officer of First American Bank and Trust in Sioux Falls, S.D., includes current athletic staff, student athletes, alumni and members of the regional business community.

Members of the committee affiliated with the U include athletics faculty representative and business school professor Jack Powell; head track and field coach Dave Gottsleben, head softball coach Kim Zarling, as well as students Bill Gassen of Rapid City, S.D., and James Stapleton of South Sioux City, Neb.

Committee members from the business community include Cathleen Tobin, vice president and managing director of Dain Rauscher, Edina, MN; Jim Ahrendt, president of First Dakota Bank, Yankton, S.D.; and Kelby Krabbenhoft, chief executive officer of Sioux Valley Hospital & Health System in Sioux Falls, S.D.

"I'm confident that this knowledgeable committee will help the University think through the best course of action for our sports programs as we continue the strong tradition of Coyote Athletics," said President Abbott. "I'll be looking forward to receiving their recommendations."

According to President Abbott, the committee will review and submit a recommendation about the long-term programmatic and financial plan for athletics. Specifically, the committee will do the following:

~ Examine other NCAA Division II and Division I-AA athletic programs with the objective of comparing national and regional trends in varsity, club and recreational sports as well as finances and scholarships.

~Review and recommend possible changes to the U's athletic programs, based on recent developments in the North Central Conference.

~Recommend a long-term programmatic and financial plan that ensures a broad offering of competitive varsity, club and recreational sports programs that meet student demand. In addition, the committee will assess and make recommendations about fundraising strategies that will assist the University in meeting future resource needs.

South Dakota Athletics includes 18 programs, including 10 women

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't see how this article translates into them considering D-I.

I think you're right though - if SDSU and USD leave, UNO is as good as gone. Of course, this has been speculated by many on this board in the past.

However, I see the current 8 team NCC setup (with UMD and no NDSU & UNC) in place for about three years. (SDSU isn't going anywhere unless Gene Taylor giftwraps a conference for them before September.) After that, who knows but I will say this: UND has the resources in place to make a leap to D-I much quicker and with less difficulty than either USD or SDSU could do it.

Maybe it's a little bit of speculation and guesswork, but this spells looking into DIAA to me:

~ Examine other NCAA Division II andDivision I-AA athletic programs with the objective of comparing national and regional trends in varsity, club and recreational sports as well as finances and scholarships.

~Review and recommend possible changes to the U's athletic programs, based on recent developments in the North Central Conference.

I agree that UND has the resources to move up faster than either of the SD schools. IF USD happens to move to DIAA, a new conference is a much more viable possibility. NDSU, SDSU, UNC, and USD would make for a solid core of a new conference. Throw in a UND and a couple more schools, and you have NCAA autobids. :D

Let me point out three quotes:

The most recent, from USD:

Examine other NCAA Division II and Division I-AA athletic programs with the objective of comparing national and regional trends in varsity, club and recreational sports as well as finances and scholarships.

Review and recommend possible changes to the U's athletic programs, based on recent developments in the North Central Conference.

From Roger Thomas, Athletics Director, UND, on March 17, 2003, speaking about proposed scholarship reductions in DII football:

"But it also might tip the balance because we're surrounded by the schools that are looking at Division I-AA football. And that's one of their big complaints, that this type of philosophy in Division II causes them to look at something that's more competitive. In their eyes, (Division II) is sliding more to the Division III, NAIA nonscholarship type of thing."

When he says "tip the balance" isn't he inferring going to DIAA? (Read the whole linked article for context.)

And finally, the oldest, from Dr. Charles Kupchella, President, UND:

Sicatoka,

Remember what preceeded the quote of Roger Thomas that you posted?

Thomas said that North Dakota likely would reallocate the money as well, possibly using it for scholarships for the school's nascent Division I women's ice hockey program.

To that, however, Thomas added a note that confirms the importance of the issue.

"We're building a women's ice hockey program at the Division I level, and we're building scholarships there, so we might reallocate the funds there," he said.

It still sounds like one foot is planted on each side of the fence. Maybe, maybe not. If USD and UND move up, it's somewhat of a shame that the NCC moving up wasn't looked at more seriously by some schools. There are a lot of conference affiliations and scenarios that could happen.

Let me toss a different idea into the mix.

USD was concerned about money not long ago. Is there a revenue positive sport they could add? Is there one that already has interest built up in their region?

For some reason I'm feeling obliged to type the words:

Sioux City Musketeers

Sioux Falls Stampede

River City (Omaha) Lancers

Lincoln Stars

Tri-City (Kearney) Storm

Thoughts?

Sicatoka,

Nice idea twist.

Do you think that it might be a handicap to have other established hockey teams in the area, though? Look at the support for the Ice Sharks in the FM area, where there is supposedly such a grand desire and support for a hockey team. :D

One dilema about USD adding hockey: There is no ice sheet in Vermillion. The closest one is in Sioux City, with one possibly being made in Yankton, SD. I would assume the start-up costs would be fairly expensive for USD to even add a practice facility. If they started up without a practice facility, I doubt the players would enjoy an hour of windshield time to and from practice(that would be from Yankton, Sioux City would be double that).

A UNC fan from SD said that there is no ice sheet in Vermillion. He supposedly played hockey in SD, and said Yankton might be getting an ice sheet in the future. He said that hockey isn't popular in the Vermillion area, and couldn't see USD having a team for 10 years. Here's another thread about USD hockey -LINK

• 4 weeks later...

I'd give odds of better than 50% that USD has a hockey team playing its home games in Sioux Falls by fall 2006, even with the lack of a practice rink today in Vermillion. USD has to respond in some form to SDSU's changes, and they are not in a position to follow SDSU step-by-step. Both schools need and compete for Sioux Falls media attention, and USD wouldn't stand a chance without a special local attraction. A USD hockey team playing in Sioux Falls would automatically gain media attention, support from the Stampede hockey fans, and rally USD alumni in Sioux Falls. Comparatively, SDSU could only play a few basketball games in Sioux Falls without alienating its Brookings fan base.

With the existing hockey base in Sioux Falls and all games played there, a USD hockey program would have a great chance of being revenue positive almost immediately, even if the Yankton-Vermillion area and the USD campus ignored hockey completely. From a pure business standpoint, hockey in Sioux Falls by USD can make sense. DIAA football or DI basketball in Vermillion would be financial catastrophes.

As an added IAA football note, East Tennessee State this past Saturday announced it will be dropping football after this coming season. Considering that ETSU is in arguably the strongest conference in IAA (Southern) and was ranked #8 in preseason (Street & Smith's), this loss of a significant program is a major indictment against the financial underpinnings of DivIAA football.

Surely the USD adminstration recognizes their limited options, especially the expense of IAA football. Creating a new USD team just for its most important student and alumni market, Sioux Falls, is a potential masterstroke.

Here's a nice article about the financial status of the SD schools-STORY HERE

Several South Dakota colleges endured double-digit dips in contributions last year, as the national economy and the sliding stock market stemmed private giving.

The exception to this trend was South Dakota State University, which posted a 20 percent gain for the year that ended in June 2002, according to the Council for Aid to Education, which conducts the annual Voluntary Support of Education survey.

Supporters of SDSU gave about $11.4 million last year, according to the survey.

Contributions to USD fell 32 percent, from $12.5 million in the 2001 fiscal year to $8.5 million in 2002.

I would feel sorry for the USD student-athletes that would have two hours of driving for practice :ohmy: . I'm sure they would have a busy schedule wihout having to drive that much.

Would a Stampede average attendance of under 5,000 be able to sustain enough interest for another hockey team? How many people can their arena hold?

How could the SF Arena find time for USD, the Stampede, and the Skyforce. They are already booked every Friday and Saturday throughout the hockey season. I also do not think there is enough hockey fans in SF to support the two teams. I'm all for the expansion of hockey in South Dakota and if USD does decide to go this route I wish them the best, but it seems highly unlikely. Also, there was an article earlier this year about the arena that said it cost thousands of dollars to switch between a basketball floor and the ice surface. I would think this would mean it would be very expensive to rent the arena for hockey. The would need atleast a million to build a practice rink, money for equipment, a zamboni, around 20 scholarships for hockey and another 20 to match it for women's sports, and they would have travel cost. The CHA is not exactly a regional conference with teams in Colorado, Alabama, Minnesota, Ohio, New York, and Michigan. It would make more sense for them to move to DI as a whole than add DI hockey. Let's see if they move to DI they would have to add a few more scholarships than hockey and increase travel cost, but it would still be cheaper and probably more profitable. South Dakota is about as much of a hockey state as New Mexico.

Let's see if they move to DI they would have to add a few more scholarships than hockey and increase travel cost, but it would still be cheaper and probably more profitable.

That just might be true. I think as all D-II schools in the area have done, USD is just looking at all the D-II schools with profitable D-I hockey programs in ND and MN and wondering why they're not getting a piece of that pie.

It happens to become profitable for popular schools like UND and UMN because the large schedule allows tremendous revenue opportunities (24 home games for UND last year). As I've pointed out before, UND would need an average attendance of about 40,000 per football game to get the same annual gate as they get from hockey. However, just starting up a hockey program doesn't guarantee fans will show up, and there's no inherent NCAA promise that hockey will be profitable. In fact, it's quite a gamble because hockey can be a very expensive program to operate.

FWIW -- I don't see that the Forum article really reported on anything new, other than pointing out that a new D-I hockey school would join the CHA. This is just part of the old statement that USD was "evaluating its athletic programs compared to its peers" which everyone knew meant studying D-IAA, but apparently only we knew meant studying adding D-I hockey. I'll be surprised if they do either, though I honestly think they'd try hockey before D-IAA (unless UND moves first).

If USD does go ahead with DI hockey, and plays their games in Sioux Falls. What does this do to Augustana's (Sioux Falls), position in the NCC. They would be the only NCC team without a hockey program. I can't see Auggie starting up a hockey program. Would Auggie even stay in the conference? They may be a better fit in the Northern Sun if USD hockey becomes a reality.