SiouxSports.com Forum

FIGHTING SIOUX vs. gophers

aleah

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly! If you properly supervise them at the game and use it as a teach tool, you can benefit in two ways: getting to enjoy a college hockey game AND teaching your children life lessons which they'll throw out the window when they hit their teen years anyways.

I agree that parents have to incorporate teachable moments in all environments with their kids, and if we were talking about the student section alone, it would be one thing. However, if I remember correctly, Siouxmama sits in a place in the arena that is not even close to the student section. That means the section is filled with fans who pay full price for their tickets, and they're sections that are largely occupied by families. It's one thing if you hear five or less vulgar comments from a fan in a game, sitting in these areas, but if it's a constant throughout the game, they should be removed. How many fans are really able to enjoy the game with that yahoo yelling these things? And even in my most drunken states in college and in the Navy, I had enough respect to control myself when I was sitting near kids, and if I did let one or two slip, I would apologize to those people.

Since when this this turn into a primer for child rearing??

I know the Siouxmama family and I am here to tell you they are the best parents. The family is involved in activities as a whole including going to hockey games. I know college hockey is an emotional environment, I know some hockey fans are drunken idiots, students and not. I think the problem lies in limits or lack of limits. Is it really necessary to scream EF the gophers over and over and over again? Is yelling obscenities about an opposing player and his father, to the extreme it was done last night, appropriate college hockey fan behavior? Is trying to start a fight with someone just because you don't like the jersey he/she is wearing appropriate college hockey fan behavior?

I'm an alum of UND and have attended games for more years than many of you are old. I was a drunken hockey college fan, and on a rare occasion am still a slightly schnokkered fan. On occasion the EF word has passed my lips, I don't deny it. But, there has to be limits.

I quit bowling years ago because the environment was so smoky. My choice was to bowl, not breath and cough continuously for two days afterwards, watch bowling on television ( :lol: ), or not go. I didn't go. Fair? NO!!

I don't believe any parent who takes their children to a college hockey game, goes with the expectation that there is going to be a church like atmosphere there. But, they shouldn't have to be assaulted with obscene behavior for the entire game!!

I know the Siouxmama family and I am here to tell you they are the best parents. The family is involved in activities as a whole including going to hockey games. I know college hockey is an emotional environment, I know some hockey fans are drunken idiots, students and not. I think the problem lies in limits or lack of limits. Is it really necessary to scream EF the gophers over and over and over again? Is yelling obscenities about an opposing player and his father, to the extreme it was done last night, appropriate college hockey fan behavior? Is trying to start a fight with someone just because you don't like the jersey he/she is wearing appropriate college hockey fan behavior?

I'm an alum of UND and have attended games for more years than many of you are old. I was a drunken hockey college fan, and on a rare occasion am still a slightly schnokkered fan. On occasion the EF word has passed my lips, I don't deny it. But, there has to be limits.

I quit bowling years ago because the environment was so smoky. My choice was to bowl, not breath and cough continuously for two days afterwards, watch bowling on television ( :lol: ), or not go. I didn't go. Fair? NO!!

I don't believe any parent who takes their children to a college hockey game, goes with the expectation that there is going to be a church like atmosphere there. But, they shouldn't have to be assaulted with obscene behavior for the entire game!!

That was my point exactly.

In 10 years of teaching in public schools, I have yet to see 7 year olds in an environment that is worse than a college hockey game. If you were talking about late elementary, middle and high school years, I'd agree with you that you hear and see some pretty bad stuff at times when students are not supervised closely. I have the worst of the worst in students with behavioral disorders, who are removed from the regular classroom because of their behavior, and when they're properly supervised, they don't even come close to what you'll see at a hockey game.

My point exactly, but some seem to think that if you BUY a ticket you HAVE the right to act as you so choose is ridiculous. The two from Fri. were not back last night. But if you buy a ticket from someone else does that give you the RIGHT to again use the F word as a noun, verb and adjective?? To throw things on the ice because you don't agree with a call? The gal on Friday was so plowed her white jersey looked tie-dyed from all the spilled drinks...and that was her most attractive feature. :lol: By the way a guy one row behind me got tossed out last night because people were complaining that he was standing and he refused to sit down. If there are some that disagree with my points so be it, just try to make sure you don't buy tickets in 110 because a lot us there are tired of hearing "I paid for this ticket..."

Thank you!!

Since poopski seems to want a play by play from Fri., the two who bought tickets in a season ticket holder's section were told multple times to tone it down by many around, to which drunk 1 would say" F you" and then drunk 2 would would try to say something only to drool. I did explain that tomorrow (Sat.) that type of behavior would not be tolerated for 60 minutes of hockey to which drunk 1 insulted and swore at my buddy?? Sorry about the typo poops, it was drivel...but at least you are smart enough to pick up on that :lol: .

Since poopski seems to want a play by play from Fri., the two who bought tickets in a season ticket holder's section were told multple times to tone it down by many around, to which drunk 1 would say" F you" and then drunk 2 would would try to say something only to drool. I did explain that tomorrow (Sat.) that type of behavior would not be tolerated for 60 minutes of hockey to which drunk 1 insulted and swore at my buddy?? Sorry about the typo poops, it was drivel...but at least you are smart enough to pick up on that :lol: .

You got my attention, was these two clowns behavior it better on night two? Let me guess they were Sioux fans?

As the proud father of a four month old daughter I not so sure I would want to subject her to that type of vile behavior. I don't have problems with saying a player sucks. F'Bombs chants in arena do make UND look like a bunch of classless hicks, that the Goofer fans claim we are. I do admit that I do say that word at times. Instances like when I hit a bad tee shot or miss a duck. However, there are also times where the word isn't appropriate at all. Around mixed company and group speak stadium cheers.

True story: my brothers kid likes to answer the phone. One day a few years back, he must have been 3 or 4 answered the phone at the same time as his mother did. My nephew's response to his mother was mom, "I got it hang up the f'n phone". Kid will mimick what they hear from their parents and other adults. I sure as heck don't want my baby girls first word to be an F'bomb. That would be impressive.

As the proud father of a four month old daughter I not so sure I would want to subject her to that type of vile behavior. I don't have problems with saying a player sucks. F'Bombs chants in arena do make UND look like a bunch of classless hicks, that the Goofer fans claim we are. I do admit that I do say that word at times. Instances like when I hit a bad tee shot or miss a duck. However, there are also times where the word isn't appropriate at all. Around mixed company and group speak stadium cheers.

True story: my brothers kid likes to answer the phone. One day a few years back, he must have been 3 or 4 answered the phone at the same time as his mother did. My nephew's response to his mother was mom, "I got it hang up the f'n phone". Kid will mimick what they hear from their parents and other adults. I sure as heck don't want my baby girls first word to be an F'bomb. That would be impressive.

developmental psychology says that wont happen until later years. perhaps around age 7 lol

So, basically, every time you tee off?? :lol:

that sounds better, im glad you decided to tell them to please stop. next time include that in your first post and maybe i wont spit to much all over my computer screen..

I'll make sure I give you ALL the details in the future so you want have to fill in the blanks with your own interpretation of what you think was said and what happened. :lol:

Great weekend. I know some UND fans don't think your team played its best while Gopher fans are left wondering why the team has so much trouble finishing. Hopefully the quality of play for both teams will be on the rise until they meet again in Minneapolis. Good luck the rest of way.

Did anyone notice ryan flynn on the ice.. I was thinking to myself last night that there must be a better player out there to take his place for the world junior tournament. Roe from SCSU would be a good one im not sure if hes eligible or not but I just didnt think flynn was a very good hockey player watching him play this weekend.

As the proud father of a four month old daughter I not so sure I would want to subject her to that type of vile behavior.

Oh, oh, another of my pet peeves!! Not saying you do this, but I hate it when fans bring their infants/toddlers to sport events or other events where everyone knows that the noise level is going off the noise scale and don't put ear/hearing protection on them!!

Parents, please, please, when you take your little ones to a game/concert/etc., please put sound reducing ear phones on them. PLEASE!!!

Oh, oh, another of my pet peeves!! Not saying you do this, but I hate it when fans bring their infants/toddlers to sport events or other events where everyone knows that the noise level is going off the noise scale and don't put ear/hearing protection on them!!

Parents, please, please, when you take your little ones to a game/concert/etc., please put sound reducing ear phones on them. PLEASE!!!

Abby isn't going to any games this year. But I agree they need hearing protection.

I've tried that and they hate them. I just use my hands when they get a goal. Especially in Madison. For some reason, the goal horn there is deafening.

I've tried that and they hate them. I just use my hands when they get a goal. Especially in Madison. For some reason, the goal horn there is deafening.

I know. That's why it's important to start them early. I have a picture of my 25 year old at age one and a half or two wearing a pair of huge earphones (funny pic by the way) because back then they didn't have little ones. I don't know how much protection your hands give. Check with their pediatrician. :lol: