SiouxSports.com Forum

Nickname Letter to the Editor in the Bismarck Tribune

SiouxperDave

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/20...ters/143288.txt

University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux - that's a nice sounding name. The Standing Rock Warriors, also a nice sounding name,and the Solen Sioux and the Eagle Butte Braves and so forth. Like all race issues, this one is centered on a unstable platform. There are those who disagree with the name, and on the other side, those who do not, and somewhere in between, those who could not care less. We use ourselves as a mascot when we see fit but disagree when others do the same, the first contradiction.

Well the one ting I can say after reading that is, He gets it. He really gets the issue. I think that is one of the best letters I have seen on the subject and I hope and pray that some of the political figures involved is this debate read that and take it to heart.

The so-called political leaders on the res are so entrenched against the nickname that I don't think this thoughtful letter will make any difference. They and their UND professor cohorts are the very ones that label such well-reasoned people "sell outs."

You got it! Jeanotte and Co. lead the charge from UND's side and His Horse Is Thunder is as clueless as many of our "white" politicians! This is purely political, make no mistake about it. It is not an issue of what is best and what is desired by the NA population as a whole.

Well the one ting I can say after reading that is, He gets it. He really gets the issue. I think that is one of the best letters I have seen on the subject and I hope and pray that some of the political figures involved is this debate read that and take it to heart.

I agree, but I'm confident it will be glossed over and ignored. To me, and enlightening example of this is the reaction to this over on GPL. They have a thread over there about the name issue, and naturally there are points of view on both sides of the issue. I posted a link and some quotes from this viewpoint over there last week hoping to see how some of the opposers would react to it. It was completely ignored and glossed over.

I sent it to Nick Coleman at the Star Trib but I'm sure he dismissed it as well.

Still, I very much appreciate Fool Bear's effort to get a different opinion into the mainstream.

I agree, but I'm confident it will be glossed over and ignored. To me, and enlightening example of this is the reaction to this over on GPL. They have a thread over there about the name issue, and naturally there are points of view on both sides of the issue. I posted a link and some quotes from this viewpoint over there last week hoping to see how some of the opposers would react to it. It was completely ignored and glossed over.

I sent it to Nick Coleman at the Star Trib but I'm sure he dismissed it as well.

Still, I very much appreciate Fool Bear's effort to get a different opinion into the mainstream.

Nick Coleman is an idiot and he will never see the other side of the story. The Nick Colemans of the world will never change no matter what evidence you show them.

You got it! Jeanotte and Co. lead the charge from UND's side and His Horse Is Thunder is as clueless as many of our "white" politicians! This is purely political, make no mistake about it. It is not an issue of what is best and what is desired by the NA population as a whole.

I don't think these people are in touch with reality one bit. People think that changing the name is going to just make everything good, immediately. So what happens when the name is changed and some precieves they are a victim of something, ie a dirty look or broken antenna whatever (not like any of us don't get these things to happen to us).

Compare his well thought out articulate letter and thoughts vs. Ron His horse is thunder just saying on tv that it wasn't long ago that calling an African American the N word was politically correct? Really? Pretty sure that has been a derogatory term for 2 or 3 centuries or more and more importantly has absolutely nothing to do with the Sioux name.

I just find it so insincere of the council members with their own political and personal agendas to ignore the thoughts and beliefs of a majority of Native Americans that they supposedly represent when they say that they can't be bought. It seems that they have already been bought and paid for.

I don't think these people are in touch with reality one bit. People think that changing the name is going to just make everything good, immediately. So what happens when the name is changed and some precieves they are a victim of something, ie a dirty look or broken antenna whatever (not like any of us don't get these things to happen to us).

I'm suprised you even have to ask this question. If/when the nickname gets changed, petty vandalism on campus, poor grades, tooth decay and global warming will be blamed on your failure to change the nickname even earlier.

"Why, if North Dakota would have merely changed their nickname years ago, then Kramer wouldn't be leaning out the window of a taxi with a cigar store Indian yelling 'whoo whoo'. "

:lol:

I wonder if Ron McNeil (Ron His Horse Is Thunder's real name) is pushing this through fast because he comes up for reelection in 2009? I wonder if he feels pressure from some "Elists" who work at UND? I would like to thank Mr. Fool Bear for his letter and would encourage him to run for Tribal Chair in 2009 and I would like to be the first to donate to his campaign. This man has added the most insight from anyone in this debate.

Great letter and post on this topic.

As a white man who was born and raised in an urban environment, I can honestly and truthfully say that I am proud to be associated with the Sioux name through my affiliation with the University. To me, the name "Sioux" conjures up an image of a proud and strong people carving a life out of the land that has little to offer at first glance. In my eyes, I have nothing but respect for the Sioux (or Lakota if they prefer) people.

Just my 2 cents.