SiouxSports.com Forum

UND v GVSU

SiouxMD

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't think either team played well today.

Provided that UNO doesn't choke against CWU at home today (and I don't think they will), I think that this is the year that "tradition fails" for GVSU. The Mavs love to pound the ball over and over until your defense is tired and worn down. I don't think UNO is banged up in the backfield like we are and I think Zach Miller is going to be tough for them to defend.

Early pick:

UNO 27

GVSU 21

We need to go out and find some impact players for the front seven. We were neither effective stopping any decent running team this year, nor did we have much of a pass rush in most games. I am proud of the way the team battled back today, and the secondary played well I thought, but our front seven needs upgrading.

Provided that UNO doesn't choke against CWU at home today (and I don't think they will), I think that this is the year that "tradition fails" for GVSU. The Mavs love to pound the ball over and over until your defense is tired and worn down. I don't think UNO is banged up in the backfield like we are and I think Zach Miller is going to be tough for them to defend.

Early pick:

UNO 27

GVSU 21

Barring injuries to Miller or McNeill, or new injuries to the UNO o-line, I don't think it will be that close. UNO will control the clock and the game running the ball, and I don't think Iciek (sp?) is a good enough passer to really burn the UNO pass defense.

We need to go out and find some impact players for the front seven. We were neither effective stopping any decent running team this year, nor did we have much of a pass rush in most games. I am proud of the way the team battled back today, and the secondary played well I thought, but our front seven needs upgrading.

I have a hard time believing that our recruiting of defensive players has suddenly gone down the toilet. What kid who plays defense (especially linebacker) wouldn't want to play in our system where you fly to the ball and "get after it" as Coach Lennon always likes to say? I have a feeling that the 3-4 defense is obsolete against teams that spread it out in four and five wide receiver sets and run the ball out of those formations. The 3-4 is designed to stop the option or straight ahead running plays. With the move up to D-I at hand, I think it might be time to switch to a 4-3 to get more pressure on the QB and disrupt some of these passing-oriented offenses that are taking over college (and professional) football right now. Maybe I am grasping for straws, but I think it should at least be considered.

We really miss Brennan.

I dont understand though, in 01: schmidt seemed to blitz 10-15 times a game. Where are the sacks on our D coordinators? Why did we only have 6 in the box the fist half for 10 runs in a row?

Puzzling.

Piss on hockey, this really sucks.

I really think UNO will defeat GVSU (perhaps handily) based on what I saw today. As long as Miller and Mcneil and Co. are healthy, they should do just fine. Good luck to UNO next week. Good season for the Sioux, a shame it had to end yet again at GVSU. Bring on Division I!

I have a hard time believing that our recruiting of defensive players has suddenly gone down the toilet. What kid who plays defense (especially linebacker) wouldn't want to play in our system where you fly to the ball and "get after it" as Coach Lennon always likes to say? I have a feeling that the 3-4 defense is obsolete against teams that spread it out in four and five wide receiver sets and run the ball out of those formations. The 3-4 is designed to stop the option or straight ahead running plays. With the move up to D-I at hand, I think it might be time to switch to a 4-3 to get more pressure on the QB and disrupt some of these passing-oriented offenses that are taking over college (and professional) football right now. Maybe I am grasping for straws, but I think it should at least be considered.

The 3-4 was brought in to help stop the option but it's a very adaptable defense. You can do so much with it that it can go from a 3-4 look, to a 5-2 or a 4-3 with ease. UND's problem this year is the are not as talented at LB and DL as they have been in the past. Running a different front isn't going to make the UND players tackle any better. I think recruting has and is going well, but not sometimes they offer guys that don't work out. Maybe they have had a bad run with LB's and DL as far as these players working out. UND has typically had a very good (athletic, big, and physical) nose tackle in the past and they don't seem to really have that in the program right now. It import to have that type of guy because he is a 2 gap player and central to the succuss of a odd front on defense.

I really think UNO will defeat GVSU (perhaps handily) based on what I saw today. As long as Miller and Mcneil and Co. are healthy, they should do just fine. Good luck to UNO next week. Good season for the Sioux, a shame it had to end yet again at GVSU. Bring on Division I!

Speaking of our friends to the south, anyone have a scoring update on the UNO-CWU game?

We really miss Brennan.

I dont understand though, in 01: schmidt seemed to blitz 10-15 times a game. Where are the sacks on our D coordinators? Why did we only have 6 in the box the fist half for 10 runs in a row?

Puzzling.

Piss on hockey, this really sucks.

I think this goes back to the talent level again. When UND blitzs most of the time it seems to be a wasted guy because he just isn't getting to the QB. Outside of Stroup, I don't think any of the LB's are strong pass rushers. As a former Olineman I used to love them sending LB's in practice with the exception of one or two guys. David Borowitz (sp) was a tough SOB to block.