SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota at Grand Valley State

fightingsioux4life

This is my official call to lobby the FSSN to provide TV coverage for next week's 2nd round playoff game. It was on last year and I hope they can televise it this time as well. I know a lot of people are already waving the white flag because of our injuries today, but I still want to watch it on TV. What a great triple header it would be for FSSN: Hockey Friday and Saturday vs. Duluth and Football vs. GVSU.

Time to flood WDAZ with calls and e-mails!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(bringing out my soapbox)

I said "what a concept" because it seems like a lot of sports fans today expect to be catered to so they don't have to inconvenience themselves - either by traveling to support their team or throwing away a few dollars to actually attend a game they know probably won't be competitive. (SEE: Alerus attendance today...>5,400? :D )

I understand not everyone can attend every game (but there are some that do!) I'm saying don't expect a local media outlet (and their employees!) to cater to your needs on a holiday weekend when they're already committed to televising 2 local games if YOU haven't exhausted every avenue to actually make it to the game. Dale & the boys can't hear you cheer from your easy chair! I applaud you johnsowe for actually going....we need more like you!

(falling through my soapbox now because I'm a fat guy) :D

I said "what a concept" because it seems like a lot of sports fans today expect to be catered to so they don't have to inconvenience themselves - either by traveling to support their team or throwing away a few dollars to actually attend a game they know probably won't be competitive. (SEE: Alerus attendance today...>5,400? :D )

I understand not everyone can attend every game (but there are some that do!) I'm saying don't expect a local media outlet (and their employees!) to cater to your needs on a holiday weekend when they're already committed to televising 2 local games if YOU haven't exhausted every avenue to actually make it to the game. Dale & the boys can't hear you cheer from your easy chair! I applaud you johnsowe for actually going....we need more like you!

(falling through my soapbox now because I'm a fat guy) :D

On the one hand, you can't blame UND (or UND diehard fans) for being disappointed in the attendance today. On the flip side, you also can't be overly critical of the people that did not go to the game. It was about the worst case scenario for having a home playoff game. 1) Playing a team that UND should blow out 2) Being the same team they have blown out what seems to be every year in the playoffs 3) Announcing the game will be televised, effectively killing the same day walk up ticket sales 4) Hunting season 5) etc, etc, etc

I hope they show it BUT there is a minor issue

Last years game was shown by Comcast Local in MI and the FSSN just grabbed that feed. No way they'd send Sweeney and a crew there for obvious reasons (they're already doing the UMD/Sioux games)

Hopefully the GVSU people get a crew to show it...god I don't see why they wouldnt show it.....now to get permission to show it on the FSSN :D

edit: I see Comcast Local is showing MI FB tourney stuff...hopefully there is still a crew in Allendale :D

(falling through my soapbox now because I'm a fat guy) ;)

Please tell me you aren't comparing attendance at a home playoff game to attendance at a road game in Michigan. :D I was at the Alerus Center today and like you was disgusted at the attendence. I was at the road game in Mankato and was impressed at all the fans we had there. Our fans travel well in all sports, but the longer the distances the harder it is to travel. Getting the games televised is not "catering" to anyone, it's getting this program more exposure. And that is one of our main problems right now.

Now I will get off MY soapbox! :(

Anyone know how to go about getting tix for the GVSU game? I'm close, so I'd like to go. Will UND get a block of tix perhaps?

As for today's attendance, I'm sorry to hear about the low numbers. The Winona/UND games just don't seem to be a really big draw. I know it seems as if we always win, but c'mon...especially considering this will be the last playoff game at the Alerus for awhile. My 2 cents.

Go SIOUX!

Please tell me you aren't comparing attendance at a home playoff game to attendance at a road game in Michigan. :D I was at the Alerus Center today and like you was disgusted at the attendence. I was at the road game in Mankato and was impressed at all the fans we had there. Our fans travel well in all sports, but the longer the distances the harder it is to travel. Getting the games televised is not "catering" to anyone, it's getting this program more exposure. And that is one of our main problems right now.

Now I will get off MY soapbox! :)

my points were mutually exclusive - some Sioux fans stayed home because it was on TV (this was the LAST playoff game we'll host until least 2012 - they should have shown some respect for the program they say they love! A LOT of fans didn't today...that's sad! ;) )

Dale showed class by not mentioning the low attendance in the post game but you know he and the players had to be disapointed!

I agree televising games isn't strictly "catering" and does provide exposure but it also provides an "easy-out" for fans who can sit in their living rooms and not show true live support for the team. Scream as loud as you want from your LazyBoy...the only thing you scare is your cat! :D

my points were mutually exclusive - some Sioux fans stayed home because it was on TV (this was the LAST playoff game we'll host until least 2012 - they should have shown some respect for the program they say they love! A LOT of fans didn't today...that's sad! :( )

Dale showed class by not mentioning the low attendance in the post game but you know he and the players had to be disapointed!

I agree televising games isn't strictly "catering" and does provide exposure but it also provides an "easy-out" for fans who can sit in their living rooms and not show true live support for the team. Scream as loud as you want from your LazyBoy...the only thing you scare is your cat! :D

You are right about televising home games like this, it just encourages people to sit on their butts at home and not buy a ticket. Penalizing the team because of the team they got matched up with is beyond immature. :D

One of the main reasons we are moving up to DI FCS is to make football a stronger program. If we don't start marketing football better and taking it more seriously, this whole D-I move will end up being a waste of time and resources.

You are right about televising home games like this, it just encourages people to sit on their butts at home and not buy a ticket. Penalizing the team because of the team they got matched up with is beyond immature. :D

One of the main reasons we are moving up to DI FCS is to make football a stronger program. If we don't start marketing football better and taking it more seriously, this whole D-I move will end up being a waste of time and resources.

YET! you were the one advocating TV coverage :D put up or shut up dude!

I advocate having every single game televised. The more people with an opportunity so see the product, the more fans will be created, and ultimately, more will buy a ticket. Seeing television as the enemy of the gate is outdated thinking.

I apologise to FSFan4Life for the "put up or shut up" remark - that was out of bounds but I'm just SO frustrated by the turnout at the Al yesterday and the expectation of "it should be on TV" instead of piling in your car and actually going to the game...AND I just burned my pancakes...ggrrrrr! :D

I advocate having every single game televised. The more people with an opportunity so see the product, the more fans will be created, and ultimately, more will buy a ticket. Seeing television as the enemy of the gate is outdated thinking.

I understand what you're saying but the only beneficiary of this gate will be the NCAA and GVSU...everyone else is just finding an excuse to stay home and be comfortable instead of supporting their team IMO

(falling through my soapbox now because I'm a fat guy) :(

THE GAME IS IN MICHIGAN!!!! Give me a break. :D To even suggest that people should make every attempt to go to the game before expecting it to be on TV is absurd.

Expect to be catered to? You are looking at it backwards. If UND wants people to get invested in UND athletics (buy tickets, buy merchandise, and donate money) then UND should be expected to televise its big games. This is especially true now that UND is moving to DI. That is how you build a fan base. If WDAZ doesn't have the resources to get it done, UND should look elsewhere the next time television contracts are being negotiated.

THE GAME IS IN MICHIGAN!!!! Give me a break. :D To even suggest that people should make every attempt to go to the game before expecting it to be on TV is absurd.

Expect to be catered to? You are looking at it backwards. If UND wants people to get invested in UND athletics (buy tickets, buy merchandise, and donate money) then UND should be expected to televise its big games. This is especially true now that UND is moving to DI. That is how you build a fan base. If WDAZ doesn't have the resources to get it done, UND should look elsewhere the next time television contracts are being negotiated.

where? 'DAZ is the only show in town and face it, the ag college is WAY ahead of us in sports marketing. I'm going old school in saying you should show up to support your team.

where? 'DAZ is the only show in town and face it, the ag college is WAY ahead of us in sports marketing.

Ok, let's just give up then, concede we are and will always be a little old DII regional school, and make everyone listen on the radio. :D

NDSU is ahead of us, in large part, because of the small-time mentality shown by UND's administration and many UND supporters. In my opinion, UND should be striving toward televising EVERY football game. We're obviosuly not there yet, but that should be the long-term goal. There should be no reason not to expect the biggest games of the year to be televised.

I'm going old school in saying you should show up to support your team.

This argument might make some sense if you were talking about a home game. I'd still disagree with it, but at least it would make sense. But making this argument with the game in Michigan makes absolutely no sense.