SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota at Grand Valley State

fightingsioux4life

I hope they show it BUT there is a minor issue

Last years game was shown by Comcast Local in MI and the FSSN just grabbed that feed. No way they'd send Sweeney and a crew there for obvious reasons (they're already doing the UMD/Sioux games)

Hopefully the GVSU people get a crew to show it...god I don't see why they wouldnt show it.....now to get permission to show it on the FSSN :D

edit: I see Comcast Local is showing MI FB tourney stuff...hopefully there is still a crew in Allendale :D

Actually, I believe that is Indiana HS football championships I believe. Haven't heard about anything here on our end about broadcasting the game.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... the small-time mentality shown by UND's administration and many UND supporters.

I don't phrase it "small-time". I call it that Grand Forks is too "sure of what it can't do." If you'd have asked in 1996 about surviving a major flood I'm sure GF folks would have said "no can do". GF needs to start to show some confidence in itself. Maybe that starts with getting local media that isn't tied at the hip to Fargo-based organizations. Maybe that's getting some media and PR folks out there putting good stories onto fax machines every day (ala the other guys).

Dear Grand Forks: Quit whining about what you "can't" do. See how much you can. You have a heck of a track-record (flood recovery, Alerus, Ralph): Build On It.

Expect to be catered to? You are looking at it backwards. If UND wants people to get invested in UND athletics (buy tickets, buy merchandise, and donate money) then UND should be expected to televise its big games. This is especially true now that UND is moving to DI. That is how you build a fan base.

I agree. I live 100 miles from GF and have been going to to Football games for years but rarely went to anything else. Then I heard about the FSSN and how all the home hockey games were on it. So about 4 years ago I got the satellite equipment to watch the games. Now I'm a Fighting Sioux Club member and a hockey season ticket holder.

If WDAZ doesn't have the resources to get it done, UND should look elsewhere the next time television contracts are being negotiated.

WDAZ isn't the same as FSSN. UND and Midcontinent are broadcasting these games and they pay WDAZ to produce them. The good thing about it is that UND is actually in control of what games (home games anyways) get televised. The bad thing is that this arrangement has led to fewer games of anykind actually on WDAZ Ch. 8. Not even the Gopher hockey games are going to be on DAZ this year. In the end, it does come down to the administration at UND. The FSSN is great resource that is not used enough. All home games should be on cable, and if WDAZ or any other station wants to hold the rights to Sioux sports, they should be required to carry X number of games on the network each year.

The media contracts are up after this year.

where? 'DAZ is the only show in town and face it, the ag college is WAY ahead of us in sports marketing.

NDSU purchases air time from North Dakota's NBC stations for their games, and they did the same for their game that was on FSN North. They're smart to do it too. UND should be doing something similiar. Like I said, all home games on cable, big games on a network.

Ok, I must be getting old and losing my memory. I will get my crack re-search staff on this, but I can not remember a playoff game that either WDAZ did not produce, pick up a feed, or mid-co cable did not somehow get us a feed if it was locally televised (away game)......?

I will bet beers that this game at GVSU will be announced by thursday......any takers....?

I will bet beers that this game at GVSU will be announced by thursday......any takers....?

Will this be because of possible public outcry (aka what the people want that might not happen otherwise without the emails and calls?) or.....

because business (TV station/s) sees a profit (advertising) or goodwill?

And if it is because of the first one and even if they both contribute...wouldn't it always be a better bet to do everything in the peoples power to get as many games televised per year?

(the attendance argument not withstanding. Because the simple fact is everything has a consequence: bad and good).

Normally, I would agree with you, but they are already televising hockey in town this weekend, basketball is in town this weekend, and it is Thanksgiving (which was their excuse last year for not televising the UNO game). Unless their is a local GVSU feed they can pick up on satellite, I worry about the chances of it being on.

Will this be because of possible public outcry (aka what the people want that might not happen otherwise without the emails and calls?) or.....

because business (TV station/s) sees a profit (advertising) or goodwill?

When I used to own the Bar we would always try and contribute every year to get playoff games televised. I do know that whatever Mid-co or WDAZ got barely covers the cost of airtime, production, staff, travel ect... to televise these type games, they are not cheap.

And on the other hand as a advertiser I never did see or here a great appreciation in either sales or comments for the contribution.... :D

I did it as a way to support the community and Sioux Atlhletics.

Ok, Here is what we do....

WDAZ, Mid-co, and REA(?)..Get together and rent the GVSU webcast cameras and staff, we use WDAZ production staff, Wdaz Satelitte Truck beam it back put it on Mid-co (FSSN) channel 23, Hire Dan Hammer and Tony Stein as the broadcast crew-simulcast it on radio so Clear Channel might as well get involved also.....

If we can not put that together, anyone want to carpool...?

WDAZ, Mid-co, and REA(?)..Get together and rent the GVSU webcast cameras and staff, we use WDAZ production staff, Wdaz Satelitte Truck beam it back put it on Mid-co (FSSN) channel 23, Hire Dan Hammer and Tony Stein as the broadcast crew-simulcast it on radio so Clear Channel might as well get involved also.....

If we can not put that together, anyone want to carpool...?

sounds like too many chiefs and not enough indians! (wow is THAT phrase politically incorrect in 2007 or what! :D )

Or a more viable option (one hopes for at least the future) would be for the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux to set aside a certain small amount of money each year from the millions they take in from Fighting Sioux athletics....(Heck how many Fighting Sioux club members would complain if they had to pay an extra $10 or so to watch a guaranteed televised playoff games?)

equipped with that money they say "Hey KVLY/WDAZ/Fox put together a contract to show this playoff game. You can sell advertising to make money, use the radio feed to save on the number of people being sent there, and pay to use a the local areas production crew (in this case GVSU's).....if non of those cost saving techniques work. We will have to use the fund set aside for this. We (UND) will pay you to televise this game...or to cover any shortcomings you may have in your contracts.

Or better yet, I hear that the University of North Dakota even has its own TV station on in Grand Forks on Channel 3. I would also be willing to bet some media type UND students and/or alumni that would also be willing to use their own time and money to go to Michigan to watch their beloved UND athletics and report it back to the masses helping to even further save money.

Sounds like a very viable solution to a not to complicated problem that we at the largest and oldest university in The Dakotas have to "worry" about year after year.

And if there is a flaw in my "system/solution" what are the ways that it can be improved upon to help make it a non-issue to help make this (televising all playoff games via FSSN or at least GF area) a non-issue in the future?

Just my opinion...

Why do we televise home games..? I have always felt that if these were to be available it should be for a individual game fee or package price. This would generate some additional revenues to help defray the costs of televising the important away contests, wether it be Hockey, B-Ball, or Football. Statewide coverage is good and helps promote your programs, but local people should attend the events and not rely on "FREE" TV coverage...IMHO

The games the people in Grand Forks want to see are the ones that can not get too....away games

Just my opinion...

Why do we televise home games..? I have always felt that if these were to be available it should be for a individual game fee or package price. This would generate some additional revenues to help defray the costs of televising the important away contests, wether it be Hockey, B-Ball, or Football. Statewide coverage is good and helps promote your programs, but local people should attend the events and not rely on "FREE" TV coverage...IMHO

The games the people in Grand Forks want to see are the ones that can not get too....away games

VERY INTERESTING!! Turn Studio One into a channel aimed at promoting UND Sports? They would have satellite capability through UND aerospace....hhmm....

Now folks are thinking. :D

But I wouldn't limit that to just "UND Sports". UND needs to start promoting all of the good things going on. I know it's not the traditional UND way, but guess what: We live today, not back when the traditional way started.

Studio One has the equipment. And I swear that the production quality out of Studio One is better than the production quality we get with the Football Coaches Show. WDAZ's audio (hollow sounding) and visual (seems very gray and grainy) are worse as far as I can tell.

And can someone please buy a better filter for the main camera at The Ralph? That would solve many of the ice glare issues.

What do I think is most important as far as promoting UND Athletics going forward? New FSC Director Josh Morton. He knows media and what it can do. He came from being sports director at a station in South Carolina.

Just my opinion...

Why do we televise home games..?

I say UND should institute a "blackout rule" ala the NFL. --> No television until 80% (90%?) of tickets are sold.

However, UND would need to start actually marketing its product in that scenario.

I heard a commercial for the "Fargo Force" this morning. Seriously. They don't start playing until fall 2008! I have not heard a single mens or womens BB ad and I bet I can name the times I've heard hockey ads. (I don't live directly in the GF media market.)

From another point of view - all 4 members of our family are proud UND alumni and Fighting Sioux fans (despite a couple having advanced degrees from a big rival school!) After 25 yrs in GF, none of us now live in the area; but we do watch the hockey and football games either at Joe Senser's in the cites or on Midcontinent Cable's fssn feed in South Dakota. There is a huge fan base outside the local viewing area, so we hope games will continue to be available via these sources (ie: not just on WDAZ or in ND markets on network tv)!!!

LET'S GO SIOUX !!!

From another point of view - all 4 members of our family are proud UND alumni and Fighting Sioux fans (despite a couple having advanced degrees from a big rival school!) After 25 yrs in GF, none of us now live in the area; but we do watch the hockey and football games either at Joe Senser's in the cites or on Midcontinent Cable's fssn feed in South Dakota. There is a huge fan base outside the local viewing area, so we hope games will continue to be available via these sources (ie: not just on WDAZ or in ND markets on network tv)!!!

AMEN to that!

There is a HUGE following outside of GF that can see thre Sioux games

I was told by a friend of a friend, who's cousin knew someone that worked at a Bar, that was married to a UND football player in the 60's who in High School was Coached by a now TV producer who once lived in Michigan.....

Look for a announcement by Wednesday or Thursday.....Game ON!

Now folks are thinking. :D

But I wouldn't limit that to just "UND Sports". UND needs to start promoting all of the good things going on. I know it's not the traditional UND way, but guess what: We live today, not back when the traditional way started.

Studio One has the equipment. And I swear that the production quality out of Studio One is better than the production quality we get with the Football Coaches Show. WDAZ's audio (hollow sounding) and visual (seems very gray and grainy) are worse as far as I can tell.

And can someone please buy a better filter for the main camera at The Ralph? That would solve many of the ice glare issues.

What do I think is most important as far as promoting UND Athletics going forward? New FSC Director Josh Morton. He knows media and what it can do. He came from being sports director at a station in South Carolina.

The same Josh Morton formerly of WDAY TV and son of former Bison FB Coach Don Morton?

I don't phrase it "small-time". I call it that Grand Forks is too "sure of what it can't do." If you'd have asked in 1996 about surviving a major flood I'm sure GF folks would have said "no can do". GF needs to start to show some confidence in itself. Maybe that starts with getting local media that isn't tied at the hip to Fargo-based organizations. Maybe that's getting some media and PR folks out there putting good stories onto fax machines every day (ala the other guys).

Dear Grand Forks: Quit whining about what you "can't" do. See how much you can. You have a heck of a track-record (flood recovery, Alerus, Ralph): Build On It.

well stated