SiouxSports.com Forum

How long until Sioux FCS #1 ranking?

Matt

The debate after the bison win over the gophs has brought up an interesting question, one that, unlike who would win a sioux-bison game this year, will in fact be decided on the field. How long will it take the football team to achieve a #1 ranking in any of the FCS polls? Will it be faster or slower than the AC?

I'd say that it's hard to say.... It totally depends on the Sioux's schedule. Going undefeated will get you along way towards being #1 but if the schedule is too soft then that is a fine line to walk.

I would think that the first 2 years there will be difficulty with scheduling and as a result the SOS will be lacking (due to playing D2 competition). After that... who knows.

UND has a good group of young kids and two very good recruiting years in a row. If Lennon stays and the $$$ support is there it could happen. We need to solve the AD issue and the new president needs to be proactive and recognize the value of using the athletic programs as a tool for the University. UND should be competitive from day one and even a top 20 team or better. #1 would be pretty tough and odds are against it. The AC beat the odds. I also think it will be tougher for both teams to stay on top because of the better competition.

I don't care how accurate any pole has been in the past. If anybody has NDSU and UNO ahead of The University of Texas, it has to be thrown out the window, right? I mean I am a huge NDSU homer but that insane. SOS has to be given a higher priority in these ranking systems.

Look at the rating in the MOV (Margin of Victory) column. Massey himself states that the MOV ratings is more accurate, but the BCS ratings require no MOV inclusion.

By MOV Massey ratings, NDSU is #58, UNO # 78, UND #109, and Minnesota is #127.

In the FCS, the teams rated above UND (by MOV) are UNI (top rated IAA Massey by MOV), NDSU, McNeese, UMass, Delaware, James Madison, S Ill, Wofford, Elon, Yale, Appy State, and Montana (barely).

DII teams above UND are UNO, Grand Valley, C Washington, and W Tex A&M.

Back to the original question...... I'd say never.

I forsee the Sioux losing their ability to use the nickname within 3 years. I do see the UND <insert macot/logo name here> attaining #1 status sometime in the 5-10 years

UND may never attain the #1 ranking, they may also attain it within 3-4 years like NDSU. Noone can really say. Success at one level doesn't guarantee it at the next. Mediocrity at one level doesn't guarantee it at the next. It is so hard to make these predictions, I for one see UND doing quite well through the transition. I don't think it is very realistic or even healthy for the program to EXPECT to be as successful as NDSU. Things have fallen into place very quickly for NDSU, alot of it was great preparation but I think alot was also luck. Conference affilitations are all based on luck for the most part and things just worked out well for NDSU. So as good as UND has been I wouldn't expect things to go as well for UND as they did for NDSU. I would be confident that it may go as well, I just wouldn't expect it.

Look at the rating in the MOV (Margin of Victory) column. Massey himself states that the MOV ratings is more accurate, but the BCS ratings require no MOV inclusion.

By MOV Massey ratings, NDSU is #58, UNO # 78, UND #109, and Minnesota is #127.

In the FCS, the teams rated above UND (by MOV) are UNI (top rated IAA Massey by MOV), NDSU, McNeese, UMass, Delaware, James Madison, S Ill, Wofford, Elon, Yale, Appy State, and Montana (barely).

DII teams above UND are UNO, Grand Valley, C Washington, and W Tex A&M.

Yes, the MOV is much more accurate. Massey has also stated that the rankings of lower division teams are higher than what they should be, and his rankings are much more accurate when you compare teams within the same division due to more connecting data.

• 3 weeks later...
The debate after the bison win over the gophs has brought up an interesting question, one that, unlike who would win a sioux-bison game this year, will in fact be decided on the field. How long will it take the football team to achieve a #1 ranking in any of the FCS polls? Will it be faster or slower than the AC?

We're 10-0 with wins against two FBS teams and still have only one of the #1 rankings.

Both schools should have done this about fifteen years ago.

Here is a suggestion. Everyone start using the proper names for each university. Show a little respect for each other. Comparing the two schools in the past was always stupid and it's even more stupid now.

There is life after all of this. We're all North Dakotans.