SiouxSports.com Forum

Who is Sam Dupris

The Sicatoka

Why hasn't there been a discussion like Dupris suggests? It's things like this that are so frustrating. The issue obviously isn't simple, but it seems like one or both sides don't want to make the effot to do simple things that could resolve the issue. Have UND officials meet with all the Sioux tribes at the same time. Have a panel with UND administrators for the name, UND Administrators against the name, Sioux for the name, Sioux against the name, where everything gets discussed and hopefully eventually resolved. Take a week, take a month, take a year. Just do it. :sad:

Ah, Diggler, if only it were that simple. Any attempt at an open, honest dialogue will be met with: "Look at these T-shirts that Sioux fans wear!" "Look at these posters that were found on UND's campus!" "Somone called me prairie n______!" "Someone vanalized my car because of the nickname!" "Somone beat me up because of the logo!" "A frat boy dressed as a cowboy aimed a toy gun at my kid!" "Someone threatened to kill me because I opposed the nickname!" "I was harrassed at a parade!" "Someone gave me a dirty look!" "Someone threw eggs at our tepee!" "Someone stole our eagle statue!" "We're tired of talking about it!"

That's not to say that none of these things happened because I'm sure that they did at one time or another. But the information is always presented out of context, under the assumption that the nickname is the root cause and as if UND approves of or tolerates such behavior.

In other words, if UND had a different nickname and logo, these types of incidents would never occur. It's as if people actually believe that nothing like this ever happens at NDSU, SDSU and USD because they have animal nicknames for their teams. If those universities are such nirvanas of racial harmony, why does UND have so many more American Indian students than they do?

It takes two sides to have the type of debate on the issue that you suggest. If only one side is interested in such discussions, they won't accomplish anything.

In other words, if UND had a different nickname and logo, these types of incidents would never occur. It's as if people actually believe that nothing like this ever happens at NDSU, SDSU and USD because they have animal nicknames for their teams. If those universities are such nirvanas of racial harmony, why does UND have so many more American Indian students than they do?

Agreed. As far as SCSU is concerned, consider the neo-nazis or skin heads or whatever group it is that was taking swipes at Jews on campus. What a hero the former President there was!!!!! My father-in-law teaches there and he thought it was great when the new President indicated, in response to a question thrown from a UND nickname opponent, that there were much more important things to address. I don't know what the new President said but I know the "opponents" were "insulted" and "offended." I was at the SCSU/UW-Whitewater game last night and there were a couple of guys dressed as indians in the stands with headdresses and the whole 9 yards. Oh, and three drunk girls were in the stands with halter tops on and they were having boys take pictures of their asses and showing off their thongs. Pretty abusive and offensive and hostile

...The issue obviously isn't simple, but it seems like one or both sides don't want to make the effort...

At Illinois, the side that will not comply with a Freedom of Information Act request is the President of the University. He will happily tell you that its time to "get over it" if you want to know more about why Chief Illiniwek is gone. But curiously, when the whiners were in full voice saying that Chief should go, he was not quoted as telling anyone to "get over it". At that time we had a Board of Trustees resolution supporting Chief. At that time, it was important that all sides be heard. But now that the Board has reversed its stance (with the help of some new ultra-PC appointees) its important to forget about Chief, according to our President. No more questions from the people who support him.

http://media.www.dailyillini.com/media/sto...s-2948254.shtml

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/opinions/...did_with_public

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/opinions/..._what_white_was

...Have a panel with UND administrators for the name, UND Administrators against the name...
Any academic from the University will be immediately demonized by the school's self-appointed intelligentsia if he/she dares to say that he supports the name.

edited for clarity and completeness at 9:15 pm

Don't know where to put this as it does not pertain to the Sioux name and logo. But I want to share the story. These girls are from the same neck of the woods where I'm currently working. People really are in shock at what happened because this didn't happen between a couple of drunks or druggies.These girls were high achievers, they were going to make it......

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/09/14/...bal-Tragedy.php

I thought Sam Dupris was very straight forward and driven by pragmatism and common sense. To the contrary, Yellowbird's counterpoint interview with the current tribal council leader seemed ridiculous when it got to the point where native american children are somewhow limiting their social view based on a university's logo and nickname? Its like saying I have sociology report that shows scandinavian kids are limited socially by the use of the Viking nickname - total liberal logic! ???:silly:

I thought Sam Dupris was very straight forward and driven by pragmatism and common sense. To the contrary, Yellowbird's counterpoint interview with the current tribal council leader seemed ridiculous when it got to the point where native american children are somewhow limiting their social view based on a university's logo and nickname? Its like saying I have sociology report that shows scandinavian kids are limited socially by the use of the Viking nickname - total liberal logic! :):silly:

Obviously, YellowBird and her ilk don't think too highly of Native Americans, or their children. ??????

Obviously, YellowBird and her ilk don't think too highly of Native Americans, or their children. ??????

Another horrible article written by Doreen. First thing I thought of was when is Doreen going to ask the question? Doren should have just asked the question right away and ended her interview. I can't understand why the Herald employes her she is brutal.

Edited by Goon