SiouxSports.com Forum

Schedule

neoflex

if you are talking about on here. Go to the main page, click on hockey and put your mouse on games (don't click, just put your mouse over it) and click on schedule!

Did that, but when you put the cursor over the "games"icon, nothing happens, and nothing happens when you click it.

Just a website error most likely, but you would think that the schedule would be posted?

Went to another UND hockey site, and got the 07-08 schedule, thanks LFSPRO

Did that, but when you put the cursor over the "games"icon, nothing happens, and nothing happens when you click it.

Just a website error most likely, but you would think that the schedule would be posted?

Went to another UND hockey site, and got the 07-08 schedule, thanks LFSPRO

ok, i don't know why it didn't work for you, but it did for me right before I posted that.

I took great pains to choose drop-down menus that work with all modern browsers (tested on, at a minimum, IE6+/Firefox/Netscape 6+/Safari/Opera) and degrade gracefully on others by showing the fully expanded list (tested on Lynx/Netscape 4.7). They're even fully functional on the Wii Browser :D

That said, there are currently about .5% of visitors who don't have what I listed as a "modern browser" above, and its certainly possible that some fraction of those .5% won't experience the "graceful degradation" of the other browsers I tested.

Though the layout actually improves the range of browsers on which the site renders sensibly (see support for Netscape 4.7/Lynx), it's certainly possible that some browsers can't render the drop-down menus but don't show the degraded version of the choices as a list, either. The backup plan for that situation is to actually have the menu links "games" and "people" and so forth lead to superfluous navigation pages; that's just not quite in place yet. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I took great pains to choose drop-down menus that work with all modern browsers (tested on, at a minimum, IE6+/Firefox/Netscape 6+/Safari/Opera) and degrade gracefully on others by showing the fully expanded list (tested on Lynx/Netscape 4.7). They're even fully functional on the Wii Browser :huh:

That said, there are currently about .5% of visitors who don't have what I listed as a "modern browser" above, and its certainly possible that some fraction of those .5% won't experience the "graceful degradation" of the other browsers I tested.

Though the layout actually improves the range of browsers on which the site renders sensibly (see support for Netscape 4.7/Lynx), it's certainly possible that some browsers can't render the drop-down menus but don't show the degraded version of the choices as a list, either. The backup plan for that situation is to actually have the menu links "games" and "people" and so forth lead to superfluous navigation pages; that's just not quite in place yet. Sorry for the inconvenience.

:D

:D

:huh: Sorry, an English translation follows:

If your web browser was updated in the 21st century, you should see the correct page layout and the dropdown menus should work.

If your web browser was made in the 20th century, you will lose all the formatting and the menus will just be giant lists of links, but you should still be able to see and access everything.

If you have some very unusual web browser, it's possible that you're stuck in limbo and can just see the top menu items but not use them. If you're stuck in that group, I'm going to make those top menu items do something useful for you soon.

:huh: Sorry, an English translation follows:

If your web browser was updated in the 21st century, you should see the correct page layout and the dropdown menus should work.

If your web browser was made in the 20th century, you will lose all the formatting and the menus will just be giant lists of links, but you should still be able to see and access everything.

If you have some very unusual web browser, it's possible that you're stuck in limbo and can just see the top menu items but not use them. If you're stuck in that group, I'm going to make those top menu items do something useful for you soon.

Thanks. :D

Jim,

Were you sure to test IE7? I'm running that, and when I first hover over the "Games" link, it gives me a javascript error, then on second hover it will pop up the menu, but it will disappear in a short time unless I click on one of first couple links. Anything further down the list takes too long to get to before the menu disappears. (This only happens with the Games menu, none of the others in the hockey section. I didn't try the football section).

Also, I would suggest doing something different for those menus, visually. Some of the links (Merchandise, Photos) are actually links, while others can not be clicked on because they are menus. Not very intuitive unless you know what is a link and what isn't.

Just a couple suggestions.

Were you sure to test IE7? I'm running that, and when I first hover over the "Games" link, it gives me a javascript error, then on second hover it will pop up the menu, but it will disappear in a short time unless I click on one of first couple links.
Thanks for the very detailed bug report -- it was easy to duplicate in IE7 from your description, track down, and fix. I'm now modestly hopeful that was the glitch the original poster had experienced.

Also, I would suggest doing something different for those menus, visually. Some of the links (Merchandise, Photos) are actually links, while others can not be clicked on because they are menus. Not very intuitive unless you know what is a link and what isn't.
A great suggestion. I've been working on ornamentation for the menus (see the relatively new icons for links that leave the site), and something to indicate which menus drop-down has definitely crossed my mind. Probably a downward pointing arrow or something (sort of the opposite of ^).

Thanks for the very detailed bug report -- it was easy to duplicate in IE7 from your description, track down, and fix. I'm now modestly hopeful that was the glitch the original poster had experienced.

A great suggestion. I've been working on ornamentation for the menus (see the relatively new icons for links that leave the site), and something to indicate which menus drop-down has definitely crossed my mind. Probably a downward pointing arrow or something (sort of the opposite of ^).

As a web developer myself, I know how absolutely awful it is when clients come back and say "this page doesn't work" and not tell me anything else. So I figured I'd do my best to fully explain.

Glad you were able to find the problem so easily and get it working. Thanks!

Sounds like a great plan for the menus.

EDIT: And now that I look, the arrows are there already. So much better. I love it.