SiouxSports.com Forum

Next target: Live mascots

PCM

From USA Today:

Live college mascots reflect obsession with traditions

Mississippi State is one of at least 33 Division I-A colleges and universities that will kick off the football season with a live animal as a mascot. Since the 1980s, the number of colleges giving room and board to bird and beast has declined from about 40.

But for schools that continue the tradition, mascots have become key symbols of multimillion-dollar college sports enterprises. At most schools, boosters pay for the animals' upkeep and the expenses

Couldn't the NCAA better spend their money then to have some weenie yes-man write horrible blogs?

There's a long list of better uses of funds than the way the NCAA currently allocates resources. :angry:

But back to the point: I can't wait for the NCAA to tell Georgia, LSU, Tennessee and a few others to drop the animals. Talk about it hitting the fan. Those schools aren't as "PC-obsessed" as Illinois. I just regret that it wasn't done sooner. I've always felt that once we started talking about Notre Dame's leprechaun, people would realize how stupid this whole thing is.

I wonder if this would mean that Chief Osceola would have to come out with one of those broomstick horses?? (Awfully hard to hold a flaming spear in one hand and make the horesy-back motions with the other.) Would Tommy Trojan also have to use one of these?

;)

I wonder if they'd tell the Air Force Academy to quit using the falcon? Or Auburn to stop using an eagle? Where were these people a few years ago. This level of NCAA stupidity would have been great for Chief Illiniwek (and saved your supporters a few dollars too).

There's a long list of better uses of funds than the way the NCAA currently allocates resources. :angry:

But back to the point: I can't wait for the NCAA to tell Georgia, LSU, Tennessee and a few others to drop the animals. Talk about it hitting the fan. Those schools aren't as "PC-obsessed" as Illinois. I just regret that it wasn't done sooner. I've always felt that once we started talking about Notre Dame's leprechaun, people would realize how stupid this whole thing is.

I wonder if this would mean that Chief Osceola would have to come out with one of those broomstick horses?? (Awfully hard to hold a flaming spear in one hand and make the horesy-back motions with the other.) Would Tommy Trojan also have to use one of these?

;)

I wonder if they'd tell the Air Force Academy to quit using the falcon? Or Auburn to stop using an eagle? Where were these people a few years ago. This level of NCAA stupidity would have been great for Chief Illiniwek (and saved your supporters a few dollars too).

This garbage has even seeped down to the high school level. Devils Lake teams had the best mascot in the state with the "Satans" but certain religious zealots got the better of that fight a few years ago and now Devils Lake teams are known as the fear-inspiring and very realistic "Firebirds." I guess the religious idiots in favor of the change actually thought that "Go Satans," along with the other usual cheers, were forms of edification/worship of Satan himself. I played for a school in the old North Star Conference and we played DL every year in everything. DL didn't always have the best teams but they always had the best mascot and the prettiest cheerleaders. How asinine right?

I guess some PC zealots made overtures to representatives of Dickinson High School (the Midgets) and Bismarck High School (the Demons). I guess they almost got run out of town on a rail. Being from Northwestern ND, I know that people out there are the last ones who would want to be lectured about that crap. Dickinson already had that fight when it changed the name of its college team from the Savages to the mighty "BlueHawks" and the people in the city were not going to hear of any more "issues" like that. Let's make Miles and Co. spend 3 months out in Dickinson, Minot or Williston ND and do their preaching. They would be picking the tar and feathers off of themselves for months.

This garbage has even seeped down to the high school level. Devils Lake teams had the best mascot in the state with the "Satans" but certain religious zealots got the better of that fight a few years ago and now Devils Lake teams are known as the fear-inspiring and very realistic "Firebirds." I guess the religious idiots in favor of the change actually thought that "Go Satans," along with the other usual cheers, were forms of edification/worship of Satan himself. I played for a school in the old North Star Conference and we played DL every year in everything. DL didn't always have the best teams but they always had the best mascot and the prettiest cheerleaders. How asinine right?

I guess some PC zealots made overtures to representatives of Dickinson High School (the Midgets) and Bismarck High School (the Demons). I guess they almost got run out of town on a rail. Being from Northwestern ND, I know that people out there are the last ones who would want to be lectured about that crap. Dickinson already had that fight when it changed the name of its college team from the Savages to the mighty "BlueHawks" and the people in the city were not going to hear of any more "issues" like that. Let's make Miles and Co. spend 3 months out in Dickinson, Minot or Williston ND and do their preaching. They would be picking the tar and feathers off of themselves for months.

;):love::angry:

Well whatayaknow? It only took my alma mater -- South Dakota State University -- a year to select a mascot it already has.

:angry:;)

Mascot search nears end

Nearly a year after beginning the process of selecting a new Jackrabbit, the mascot selction committee narrows choices down

SDSU students may see a new mascot design unveiled sometime early this fall.

After mixed reactions following the release of the three prospective designs from Phoenix Design Works, the New York City firm hired by the Jackrabbit mascot redesign committee, the committee decided to open the contest to the public and accept designs from anyone who wanted to enter one. A $1,000 reward was offered for the design that was chosen by a panel of judges at the college.

;)

Hell I remember long ago when we had a live alligator for a mascot but after the GATOR passed on we went with someone it a GATOR SUIT. To that's not really the same but I can live with it. Now as for the NC$$ say that Chief Osceola can't ride on there on a horse. I think the NCAA needs to GET A LIFE.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973

• 2 weeks later...