SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2007-08 Updates

USA Hockey

Gerbe wasn't the only one believe me and how many times did Lammy bale them out.I do like what is coming in though and it will be interesting to see how the new guys do next year.

With all the second half success, we forget how many breakaways and odd man rushes the team gave up by pinching and taking chances, game after game. Lammy made great saves throughout the second half on these defensive mistakes, until the semi's vs. BC. It was the one thing that never got corrected, since the team won anyway, and it didn't seem to need correction. It finally caught up with the Sioux.

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the second half success, we forget how many breakaways and odd man rushes the team gave up by pinching and taking chances, game after game. Lammy made great saves throughout the second half on these defensive mistakes, until the semi's vs. BC. It was the one thing that never got corrected, since the team won anyway, and it didn't seem to need correction. It finally caught up with the Sioux.

Exactly.That is why I just could not get overly excited about the team this past season.They never got on that run where they were destroying teams even though they had a 18 game unbeaten streak.They were squeking by with the help of Lammy.

Here's an interesting speculation coming out of the Unofficial USHL Blog. The USHL just released its protected list.

Off the list: Brett Bruneteau

On the list: Mike Cichy

This poses an interesting speculation: Cichy stays one more year in juniors and Bruneteau comes to Grand Forks.

I am not certain I understand how the protected list works, but I'm not sure Tri City would waste a protected slot on a player who isn't returning next season.

I've seen that speculation somewhere, .... now where was it.

Oh, here it is.

[/smirk]

nice write up. this is the first time i have thought that toews could be 09. that will only happen if the injury would keep him sitting out. cichy is similar. i have been assuming that he would be coming in no questions asked. that may not be a bad idea to have him develop another year. needless to say, there are a lot of question marks this postseason.

nice write up. this is the first time i have thought that toews could be 09. that will only happen if the injury would keep him sitting out. cichy is similar. i have been assuming that he would be coming in no questions asked. that may not be a bad idea to have him develop another year. needless to say, there are a lot of question marks this postseason.

It makes no sense at all especially if he is a high draft choice and the Sioux end up only getting him for one year.

Toews will be here this season and I would hope CICHY as well...

It makes no sense at all especially if he is a high draft choice and the Sioux end up only getting him for one year.

Toews will be here this season and I would hope CICHY as well...

I would think that both Toews and Cichy would be at UND for at least three years if they come in this fall.

I'll start with the answer: Simple Math.

Now the question: Where are the slots in on the roster?

The only known openings are Kaip, Radke, and now Oshie.

Hextall was supposed to come in fall 2007 but injury prevented that. (Davidson filled that slot.) Hextall's almost assuredly here fall 2008.

Gregoire is coming off a USHL PotY season. That seems obvious.

But then you have some open questions:

- Mario Lamoureux is 20 this fall; Does he play another USHL season?

- David Toews fell in the draft rankings; What happened there? Is the knee a problem? Does he need a USHL season?

- Mike Cichy couldn't break the top 25 in USHL scoring; Is he ready for the WCHA?

- Brett Bruneteau was left unprotected by his USHL team; Do they know he won't be in the USHL next season?

Hakstol (and Blais and Gasparini before that) seem to run with 15 forwards on the roster. Only 3 are gone (as of now).

How can some of you have all of these players all coming in this fall (unless some more slots open up).

I'll start with the answer: Simple Math.

Now the question: Where are the slots in on the roster?

The only known openings are Kaip, Radke, and now Oshie.

Hextall was supposed to come in fall 2007 but injury prevented that. (Davidson filled that slot.) Hextall's almost assuredly here fall 2008.

Gregoire is coming off a USHL PotY season. That seems obvious.

But then you have some open questions:

- Mario Lamoureux is 20 this fall; Does he play another USHL season?

- David Toews fell in the draft rankings; What happened there? Is the knee a problem? Does he need a USHL season?

- Mike Cichy couldn't break the top 25 in USHL scoring; Is he ready for the WCHA?

- Brett Bruneteau was left unprotected by his USHL team; Do they know he won't be in the USHL next season?

Hakstol (and Blais and Gasparini before that) seem to run with 15 forwards on the roster. Only 3 are gone (as of now).

How can some of you have all of these players all coming in this fall (unless some more slots open up).

Ok, maybe there are going to be a few more openings. Do you honestly think that the coach is going to prolong the Toews, Cichy arrival so a player like Davidson will stay on the roster? Seriously, the guy is a walk on who is going to have a hard time cracking the line up as opposed to a blue chipper like Toews. I am thinking a few others players might be on the outside looking in.

Ok, maybe there are going to be a few more openings. Do you honestly think that the coach is going to prolong the Toews, Cichy arrival so a player like Davidson will stay on the roster? Seriously, the guy is a walk on who is going to have a hard time cracking the line up as opposed to a blue chipper like Toews. I am thinking a few others players might be on the outside looking in.

actually, davidson was recruited. hes on scholarship. i do think that something could happen with he and forney this summer, though.

the guys i see coming in FOR SURE...for forwards

Toews

Hextall

Gregoire

i think that cichy will be here, but i cant give it the for sure yet...too many question marks

Davidson? A project brought in by the coaches.

Forney? He's been set up that 2007-2008 was not a year of eligibility. There has to be a reason.

I've given my thoughts on them before also.

Like I asked elsewhere, are Mike Cichy or David Toews the same caliber as were Jon Toews, Zach Parise, or even Drew Stafford (the three youngest forwards to come in this decade)? I ask because they'll be the same age as Parise when he arrived. They'll be younger than Brad Malone was this fall. Are they ready or would another year of preparation make them better?

This is why I don't envy this part of Dave Hakstol's job.

actually, davidson was recruited. hes on scholarship. i do think that something could happen with he and forney this summer, though.

the guys i see coming in FOR SURE...for forwards

Toews

Hextall

Gregoire

i think that cichy will be here, but i cant give it the for sure yet...too many question marks

I think Hakstol has a tough job this summer but one has to wonder if Martins and Miller have played maybe their last games, do you let them continue their streak of Mediocrity contributing little on the score sheet or do you bring in your blue chip recruits. While I am not the coach I would rather see new up and comers Cichy, Toews and Bruneteau. I think David Toews and Gregoire are going to make immediate impacts like Jonathan Toews and Travis Zajac did.

As for who will be coming to UND in the fall, this should be your starting point, a Herald article from April. Eidsness, Gregoire, Hextall, Toews, Lamoureux and Blood will be here. Others might, depending on early departures.

I'm guessing Brad doesn't compile a list like this in a vaccuum. He likely gets input from "very good sources."

http://www.undsportszone.com/articles/?id=74207

"But a large part to next season

I think Hakstol has a tough job this summer but one has to wonder if Martins and Miller have played maybe their last games, do you let them continue their streak of Mediocrity contributing little on the score sheet or do you bring in your blue chip recruits. While I am not the coach I would rather see new up and comers Cichy, Toews and Bruneteau. I think David Toews and Gregoire are going to make immediate impacts like Jonathan Toews and Travis Zajac did.

I have to disagree on your assessment of martens. i think hes a very good and smart player. i hate to come down on any particular players, so im not going to say anything about miller. miller was put into a tough spot when he was put on the top line...a move that nobody i know liked. both players didnt score much, but i dont remember them making any major mistakes either.

You Are definitely putting a lot of trust in out new recruits. Well it's true that some players can come in and make an impact right away we also have to respect the fact that moving from Junior to College hockey is a huge step up. How many of last years recruits made an impact right off the bat. Trupp was the only one who really stood out. We can't pit all our eggs in one basketWe still need the guys have experience at this level as to step out in front of a crowd of 12000 is definitely an awe inspiring moment.

You Are definitely putting a lot of trust in out new recruits. Well it's true that some players can come in and make an impact right away we also have to respect the fact that moving from Junior to College hockey is a huge step up. How many of last years recruits made an impact right off the bat. Trupp was the only one who really stood out. We can't pit all our eggs in one basketWe still need the guys have experience at this level as to step out in front of a crowd of 12000 is definitely an awe inspiring moment.

I am thinking some people aren't giving your recruits enough credit. These players coming in are going to be impact players.

We have a few players currently on the roster that are not producing in the way as points, I can't imagine the coaching staff holding onto their spot with blue chip recruits waiting in the wings. Just my HMO.

As for who will be coming to UND in the fall, this should be your starting point, a Herald article from April. Eidsness, Gregoire, Hextall, Toews, Lamoureux and Blood will be here. Others might, depending on early departures.

I'm guessing Brad doesn't compile a list like this in a vaccuum. He likely gets input from "very good sources."

So, given that Brad doesn't "Don Adam" this stuff, that's a goalie, a defenseman, and 4 forwards.

Eidsness for Lammy; Blood for Bina.

3 forwards are gone (Kaip, Radke, Oshie), yet 4 are expected in. Interesting.

I think that's a good lead on this thread ....

Brad talks about the USHL protected list a bit in his latest blog entry:

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

Other notable players appeared on protected lists, too:

Alex Simonson, Grand Forks Red River, Chicago

Zach Lehrke, Park Rapids HS and Bemidji State recruit, Cedar Rapids

Brett Bruneteau, Sioux recruit, Des Moines

Joe Gleason, Sioux recruit, Green Bay

Corey Fienhage, Sioux recruit, Indiana

Eric Meland, Grand Forks Red River, Lincoln

Ryan LaDouceur, Grand Forks Red River, Lincoln

David Toews, Sioux recruit, Lincoln

Danny Kristo, Sioux recruit, Omaha

Danny Mattson, Sioux recruit, Omaha

Danny Wurden, Fargo South, Sioux City

Mike Cichy, Sioux recruit, Tri-City

Mike Fink, Sioux recruit, Waterloo

The ones on the list that I would be the most skeptical of (for this season) are Toews and Mattson. Toews is likely to be at UND in the fall and Mattson very well could play his senior season with Holy Angels.

So, given that Brad doesn't "Don Adam" this stuff, that's a goalie, a defenseman, and 4 forwards.

Eidsness for Lammy; Blood for Bina.

3 forwards are gone (Kaip, Radke, Oshie), yet 4 are expected in. Interesting.

I think that's a good lead on this thread ....

Well, it certainly would appear that Forney will make that 4th forward, at least for the moment.

Despite his older age, I think that Bruneteau is the least likely of those 4 to come in next season. He barely played after his concussion, and didn't put up much for numbers when he did play. I could see him playing another year of juniors and joining the team in 2009.

For sure I think that Gregoire and Toews come in. Those two won't be here for four seasons anyway, so we'll want to utilize their services while we can.

To make roster spots available for some of these talented youngsters, I think that we could see some surprises with a couple returning forwards. Hakstol could make some moves with Davidson or Forney...

:)

Well, it certainly would appear that Forney will make that 4th forward, at least for the moment.

That does appear to be playing out given today's USHL draft.

Relooking at the Schlossman article:

Kaip, Radke, Oshie, Forney --> Hextall, Lamoureux, Gregoire, Toews

JP Lamoureux --> Eidsness

Bina --> Blood

Could we really be hit with so few early departures?

That does appear to be playing out given today's USHL draft.

Relooking at the Schlossman article:

Kaip, Radke, Oshie, Forney --> Hextall, Lamoureux, Gregoire, Toews

JP Lamoureux --> Eidsness

Bina --> Blood

Could we really be hit with so few early departures?

I doubt we'll be that lucky, but we can hope. Hakstol thought that we could lose 1-3. Not sure if that includes Forney or not though. If Chorney leaves, I'm guessing that one of MacWilliam/Finehage/Gleason comes in.

If Duncan or Kozek leaves, then we'll bring in Cichy.