SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2007-08 Updates

USA Hockey

I watched MacWilliam. I'm going with Dave Reid's assessment. Doesn't strike me as someone who should be getting all the attention that he is getting. Safe, average D-man for the AJHL. That is about it.

I preferred his younger partner Olsen who is a 1991. Seemed to have more of a skill set and saw the ice a little better.

But what do I know, Hak is the coach and he knows more of what he needs on the back end than what I know. I'm guessing that he is trying to shore up his D-zone with a safe guy when he starts to lose some guys to graduation.

Does this preclude going after Olsen if he's that good? Olsen is pretty young still.

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this preclude going after Olsen if he's that good? Olsen is pretty young still.

I don't know a whole lot about him. I'm just basing my opinion on what I saw when I was watching MacWilliam and Colborne when I was out there. I kept seeing this kid who was able to pivot in either direction, drag the puck with no hesitation off the wall on either side and shoot it with authority. Was being used on the PP even though he was probably their youngest player. Played the body well, didn't have any problem playing 1 on 1, anywhere on the ice. Made some great outlet passes including one that went three zones, tape to tape, with all sorts of traffic in front of him. I just liked him better than MacWilliam.

Just by googeling I was able to determine the following.

He appears to be from the National Sports Academy School in Calgary which would suggest that he is certainly aware of the college route. Was named outstanding midget defencemen last year, i.e., 2007. Somebody out there must be aware of him if he was named outstanding defencemen.

Medicine Hat took him in the fourth round 84th overall of the 2006 WHL draft. Doesn't show up on their regular season stats in any way so that would suggest he hasn't played a WHL game just yet.

For anyone that hasn't seen him play yet, Joe Gleason and his Edina team will be playing Minnetonka (who has Wisconsin recruit Jake Gardiner) on FSN North tommorow night at 7. It should be a great matchup, it is between #2 and #3 in Class AA.

Watch the FSN crew will brag about Buddish and the Edina 5 (5 juniors) and they will barely mention Gleason. Whenever there is a gopher recruit they go overboard bragging him up (especially Gorg). Last time Edina was on TV they didnt talk about Gleason at all and he was by far the best player on the ice. All they talked about was the 5 juniors who are suppose to be the stars. Buddish and Everson are good & I dont know who the other 3 even are, but thats all they talkes about during last years State tourney also. Gleason Deserves the credit. He is the best player on this team and probably the fastest skater in the state.

Watch the FSN crew will brag about Buddish and the Edina 5 (5 juniors) and they will barely mention Gleason. Whenever there is a gopher recruit they go overboard bragging him up (especially Gorg). Last time Edina was on TV they didnt talk about Gleason at all and he was by far the best player on the ice. All they talked about was the 5 juniors who are suppose to be the stars. Buddish and Everson are good & I dont know who the other 3 even are, but thats all they talkes about during last years State tourney also. Gleason Deserves the credit. He is the best player on this team and probably the fastest skater in the state.

gorg needs to check his pants between intermissions so there isnt a mess, thats why they probably dont let puffy do the games with gopher recruits....he would be changing every 5 minutes

I sound like a broken record but.... Ummmmmm... have you checked out the slogun for FSN North lately?

Last time I checked it is "Where Minnesota comes First." Or something to that effect.

If FSN North has that for a slogun, why are we so upset about Gorg or whoever giving more lip service to Gopher recruits?

This isn't ESPN we're talking about. It's a regional sports network BASED IN MINNESOTA.

Don't get so upset that they didn't mention Gleason. Please, they're not going to brag at all about a player who is bound for somewhere other than a Minnesota team unless you are talking about individual performance based upon the game that is being aired at the time.

I sound like a broken record but.... Ummmmmm... have you checked out the slogun for FSN North lately?

Last time I checked it is "Where Minnesota comes First." Or something to that effect.

If FSN North has that for a slogun, why are we so upset about Gorg or whoever giving more lip service to Gopher recruits?

This isn't ESPN we're talking about. It's a regional sports network BASED IN MINNESOTA.

Don't get so upset that they didn't mention Gleason. Please, they're not going to brag at all about a player who is bound for somewhere other than a Minnesota team unless you are talking about individual performance based upon the game that is being aired at the time.

im sure in hell not upset, just stating facts on gorg ;) go sioux

Won't matter. If this is like any other Edina game I have seem Gleason's domination will be apparent to all watching. He is fun to watch play. He will be the best skater on the ice hands down.

I watched MacWilliam. I'm going with Dave Reid's assessment. Doesn't strike me as someone who should be getting all the attention that he is getting. Safe, average D-man for the AJHL. That is about it.

I preferred his younger partner Olsen who is a 1991. Seemed to have more of a skill set and saw the ice a little better.

But what do I know, Hak is the coach and he knows more of what he needs on the back end than what I know. I'm guessing that he is trying to shore up his D-zone with a safe guy when he starts to lose some guys to graduation.

so an average dman is projected to go 2nd or 3rd round?

tinfoil-hat.jpg

I believe Gleason was on the ice for Tonka's two goals. ;) He looked fast but not very big. Played with confidence, too. Budish looked big and strong out there. But that kind of dominance can change when the average opponent is 200 lbs, instead of 170. Liked to see Giles using 4 lines. Theese big high school programs usualy have enough talent to run 4. And it makes for a faster game.

Where did you read that? I've never seen him ranked that high by any scouting service.

From the Herald article:

"He's also ranked as the No. 59 North American skater prospect for this summer's NHL draft by the Central Scouting Bureau. That means he's projected to be a second- or third-round pick. "

From the Herald article:

"He's also ranked as the No. 59 North American skater prospect for this summer's NHL draft by the Central Scouting Bureau. That means he's projected to be a second- or third-round pick. "

This is a fairly recent ranking. 59th in north america means he could be well below the 100th picked player if, and that is a big if he gets picked at all. That is 4th or 5th round material and I still believe from what I saw that that is too high. Euros start to go in larger numbers after the second round.

I still remember Eric Doyle from last year. projected as a late first or early second rounder and never got selected. Its a big crap shoot and MacWilliam has a lot of scouts who are not very sure about him. The fact that he has committed to UND will certainly help his draft stock since they know he is going to a good program.

I'm still not convinced. He didn't show me enough. His foot speed is questionable and he is playing with guys a year younger who are already better than him.

Maybe this can be a good test regarding my judge in talent. We'll see in a few months I guess.

I believe Gleason was on the ice for Tonka's two goals. ;) He looked fast but not very big. Played with confidence, too. Budish looked big and strong out there. But that kind of dominance can change when the average opponent is 200 lbs, instead of 170. Liked to see Giles using 4 lines. Theese big high school programs usualy have enough talent to run 4. And it makes for a faster game.

I don't know who that loser was with Gleason, but he really sucked... Maybe they were trying to use Gleason to cover for a weak defender. Gleason was solid, but did not shine like he did in some other games. Anders Lee looked like the best Edina Forward. The best player on the ice was Gardiner for Minnetonka. I think he may be a 1st round pick. Too bad Wisco will kill his offensive game.

I don't know who that loser was with Gleason, but he really sucked... Maybe they were trying to use Gleason to cover for a weak defender. Gleason was solid, but did not shine like he did in some other games. Anders Lee looked like the best Edina Forward. The best player on the ice was Gardiner for Minnetonka. I think he may be a 1st round pick. Too bad Wisco will kill his offensive game.

Geez, that kid is skating his heart out for the best team in high school hockey. Don't call him a loser. :huh: