SiouxSports.com Forum

A 12-Team WCHA

Shawn-O

And they gave CC all they could handle.

Sadly they let it slip away. :love:

yup, they sure screwed that one up, the third period showed the true colors of both teams. cc took it to them and werent gona lose

du is playing like crap lately, they got lucky with that non call last friday vs sconnie at the buzzer and they have given up 12 goals in last 2 games to sconnie and air force who arent offensive juggernots by anymeans. im gona crack a miller lite now to the downward spiral that DU is heading towards :lol:

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the BTN makes money, I would think it is only a matter of time before a BTHC happens. Just think of the incentives for a school like Penn State or Illinois to add hockey if the BTN finds a way to form a BTHC. They would immediately be able to move into the big time, with televised games, playing for the Big Ten championship, a great schedule, etc. These new teams would be able to bypass many problems faced by other start up schools, and even though they would get beat in the beginning, so what, they would be playing nothing but rivals, and that is what sells tickets. let us not forget that a big selling point for the Big Ten will be how much money the WCHA FF makes every year, the Big Ten would figure that into the mix, too.

Before the BTN, there was no way for a BTHC to succeed, but just as TV has completely changed the NHL, it could change NCAA hockey.

Happy it isn't going to happen, not anytime soon. Second why would Michigan, MSU, Minnesota, Wisconsin, OSU want to have a league, one or two of them top schools is going to be on the recieving end of get the snot knocked out of them on a regular basis. The BTN is a pipe dream. I will believe it when I see it. Call me cynical.

Happy it isn't going to happen, not anytime soon. Second why would Michigan, MSU, Minnesota, Wisconsin, OSU want to have a league, one or two of them top schools is going to be on the recieving end of get the snot knocked out of them on a regular basis. The BTN is a pipe dream. I will believe it when I see it. Call me synical.

Synical:

I think you might be cynical on this topic.

Happy it isn't going to happen, not anytime soon. Second why would Michigan, MSU, Minnesota, Wisconsin, OSU want to have a league, one or two of them top schools is going to be on the recieving end of get the snot knocked out of them on a regular basis. The BTN is a pipe dream. I will believe it when I see it. Call me cynical.

Good points, Goon. I expect Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan State to be applying for membership into the MAC any day now since none of them can beat Ohio State in football on a regular basis.

I heard Mazzocco and Woog talk about how Lucia would like to play Bemidji State in the opening of their new arena and that it is nice to be able to help out a program. From what I have heard, Minnesota will not play Bemidji State in Bemidji now, nor have they played them for some time. It bothers me that they think they would somehow be doing them a giant favor by playing them in the first game in a new arena. Yes, it would be a nice draw, but so would North Dakota, a team that has been helping them out every year.

I heard Mazzocco and Woog talk about how Lucia would like to play Bemidji State in the opening of their new arena and that it is nice to be able to help out a program. From what I have heard, Minnesota will not play Bemidji State in Bemidji now, nor have they played them for some time. It bothers me that they think they would somehow be doing them a giant favor by playing them in the first game in a new arena. Yes, it would be a nice draw, but so would North Dakota, a team that has been helping them out every year.

I had the same thought when I heard that. The almighty U of M won't belittle themselves to play a "lesser" in-state team, while UND, UMD and MSU have stepped up. Then, when the timing's right, we'll (UM) swoop in and act like we did BSU and big favor and receive all the accolades. No surprise their from the Gopher/FSN North PR Machine . . .

I hope your right, because if the BTN does make it (and that's a BIG if), it could get fairly ugly. The Big Ten schools do NOT negotiate seperate contracts for individual sports with the BTN. They have carte blanche, given them all the rights to all of the sports, although it does not supercede existing contracts, which really only come into play nationally for football and basketball. However, the Gopher hockey contract with FSN runs out next year, and after that the BTN controls ALL rights to EVERY game. If they choose not to broadcast the game, it is their choice if they want to sell the rights of the game to FSN, CSTV, or whoever, or just not allow the game to be broadcast at all. That could be pretty good bargining tool for them have, in terms of pushing for a BTHC. Plus it would give guaranteed revenue to some of the schools that currently don't have the resources for a D1 hockey program.

I personally would hate to see it to see happen, because it could mean that we could end up playing the majority of games against completely non-conpetitive teams, instead of UND, UMD, CC, Denver. etc. (although this year, that may not have been a bad thing :D )

I had the same thought when I heard that. The almighty U of M won't belittle themselves to play a "lesser" in-state team, while UND, UMD and MSU have stepped up. Then, when the timing's right, we'll (UM) swoop in and act like we did BSU and big favor and receive all the accolades. No surprise their from the Gopher/FSN North PR Machine . . .

I didn't hear the actual comments but if true, definitely something I'd expect to hear from Minnesota. Frankly, it's too bad UND just didn't invite St Cloud or Wisconsin to break in the new REA. :D

I didn't hear the actual comments but if true, definitely something I'd expect to hear from Minnesota. Frankly, it's too bad UND just didn't invite St Cloud or Wisconsin to break in the new REA. :D

To help add some clarity (i.e. facts) to the story, Minnesota has to play six non-conference home games each season. That in mandated by their athletic department. So, they don't have much flexibility to play non-conference games on the road. The only time they really can is years where they have the College Hockey Showcase at home and play Anchorage on the road, since that frees them up to play two non-conference road games in addition to the six home games.

Minnesota did play BSU in 2000-01 in Bemidji and again in 2001-02 at Mariucci, so it's not like they've never played them.

Lucia also said during an interview this weekend that he talked with Tom Serratore about the idea, so it's not like Lucia is pushing for this without any thought or input from BSU's side of things.

And I hate to break it to you guys, but I guarantee that if BSU had their way, they'd open their new arena versus the Gophers.

To help add some clarity (i.e. facts) to the story, Minnesota has to play six non-conference home games each season. That in mandated by their athletic department. So, they don't have much flexibility to play non-conference games on the road. The only time they really can is years where they have the College Hockey Showcase at home and play Anchorage on the road, since that frees them up to play two non-conference road games in addition to the six home games.

Minnesota did play BSU in 2000-01 in Bemidji and again in 2001-02 at Mariucci, so it's not like they've never played them.

Lucia also said during an interview this weekend that he talked with Tom Serratore about the idea, so it's not like Lucia is pushing for this without any thought or input from BSU's side of things.

And I hate to break it to you guys, but I guarantee that if BSU had their way, they'd open their new arena versus the Gophers.

Hey Cardinal I am not so sure about that word in Bemidji when I was there last winter is was the Beavers would will probably open it against the Sioux.

In a related story, Cardinal is also reporting that the WCHA will be cancelling the Final Five if Minnesota does not advance to the tournament. :D

In a related story, Cardinal is also reporting that the WCHA will be cancelling the Final Five if Minnesota does not advance to the tournament. :D

Not sure what that has to do with my last post, but I'd expect nothing less on here.

I'm totally fine with a Gopher-less Final Five. Obviously I'd like the team to make it, but it would be nice to have them not there on year just to see the numbers drop across the board, and then hear the conspiracy theories on here.

Not sure what that has to do with my last post, but I'd expect nothing less on here.

I'm totally fine with a Gopher-less Final Five. Obviously I'd like the team to make it, but it would be nice to have them not there on year just to see the numbers drop across the board, and then hear the conspiracy theories on here.

What would the numbers at the Final Five have to do with a "conspiracy"? We all know that attendance numbers would be down if the Gophers weren't in it. There's no "conspiracy" there. All that would prove is that the fair weather Gopher fans won't go watch good hockey - they will only go to watch Gopher hockey.

To help add some clarity (i.e. facts) to the story, Minnesota has to play six non-conference home games each season. That in mandated by their athletic department.

That's one way to spin that information.

The others are:

A. Minnesota believes they shouldn't have to travel for non-conference games. They deserve the home ice advantage because "they are who we thought they are" (thank you Denny Green for the quote).

B. They can't afford to travel from an overall Athletic Department revenues point of view. They have to have those home hockey gates to pay the overall expenses. No non-conference travel is mandated by their accountants.

Honestly, I believe "B" is behind the "mandated" that Cardinal mentions.

It will be cancelled for two years if the BADgers and Gophers don't make it this year. :D;):D

Hey Cardinal I am not so sure about that word in Bemidji when I was there last winter is was the Beavers would will probably open it against the Sioux.

I'm sure BSU appreciates UND helping them out in scheduling the last several years. But I have no doubt that, given their choice, BSU would choose the Gophers to open up their new rink in a heartbeat. Being the Big Ten school of their own State, and the State-wide television that would accompany the game, would make the game feel bigger to the taxpayers that helped build the rink (especially to those taxpayers who are not avid college hockey fans).

The reality is that non-Gopher fans throughout the region like to complain that Minnesota is arrogant, and at the same time, perpetuate that arrogance by treating them special.

Gopher fans aren't any different than Sioux fans. If the Sioux weren't in the Final Five (and they weren't just a couple of years ago), I would still go, but obviously plenty of green and white fans would stay home. Same thing with Wisconsin fans. I'm not sure what conspiracy theory you're touting here, Cardinal. If the Gophers don't make it attendance will go down. Where's the theory in that?

The reality is that non-Gopher fans throughout the region like to complain that Minnesota is arrogant, and at the same time, perpetuate that arrogance by treating them special.

It's not just fans perpuating that myth, mksioux. AD's and coaches could help out by actually having Minny play the WCHA Final Five semi-final how the seedings say they should instead of allowing them to buck the system.

help them out :D

like the only time they went there to play was when matt demarchi played for minny and they played there for him pretty much and made a event out of it

and who cares who bemidji would open their arena up with. just build the damn thing first ;)

Yea, why waste time with second-rate programs like Minnesota when BSU can schedule a powerhouse like the Rochester Institute of Technology. :D

not to mention wayne state, something tells me that lucia knew what type of team he would have this season with those pushovers :D

they are scared for the in state loss, thats why no BEAVERS ;) fear the beaver

and for those gopher fans who have no sense of humor or cant laugh at anything dont waste your time telling me or others that the weekend wayne state came was a open weekend and lucia wanted to have real game feel so you invited wayne state. who cares , 2 big wins for the ol program...

help them out :D

like the only time they went there to play was when matt demarchi played for minny and they played there for him pretty much and made a event out of it

and who cares who bemidji would open their arena up with. just build the damn thing first ;)

No doubt . . . the first game would sell out if it were NW Texas State, but it would be an event if a WCHA team were there - especially an in-state or UND (under a two hr drive from Bemidji). If and when that day comes, it would be my feeling that you would ask a team that's been recently favorable to you to be the opponent. However, the UM team is the "crown jewel" in college hockey . . .

So in other words ... we don't have room in our schedule, but if we can get a free game we will make sure we play you. Seems to me at the very least they could be invited to the Mariucci classic every year rather than Rochester Tech and Air Force.

To help add some clarity (i.e. facts) to the story, Minnesota has to play six non-conference home games each season. That in mandated by their athletic department. So, they don't have much flexibility to play non-conference games on the road.
So in order to play @ BSU, UMTC would likely have to get a waiver from their own athletic department! Gee, sure sounds like an impenetrable barrier to me. Perhaps you should be the last to criticize the reasonableness of others' posts on this site.

Just an observation: It would seem that those lobbying for inclusion of BSU into the WCHA (on this board) have strong ties to Bemidji. Everyone else seems to think otherwise.

If BSU needs scheduling help, they need to exhaust all avenues for getting a 2 @ home and 2 @ away series' set from each of the in-state DI schools before going to the WCHA.

If the WCHA agrees to allow BSU in, it needs to be contingent upon BSU having an arena with 6,000+ capacity.