SiouxSports.com Forum

White Out in Grand Forks?

WiSioux

"White Out"  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Should we try and do some form of "White Out" this year at the Ralph?

• Do a White Out
    • Do a Green Out
  2. 2. When should we attempt this?

• Gopher Series at home
    • WCHA Home playoff games

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree, kelly greeen for sure, just saying if thats all you have in the closet thats fine....this will be cool when it happens with no help for the school

One of my pet peeves with UND is that it is not consistent with the shade of green on its merchandise. It typically varies anywhere from forest green to neon green. Heck, on Sioux jerseys alone, I've seen three or four different shades of green. I constantly see Sioux gear in forest green. The school color is kelly green, so why would the school market or permit merchandise with any other shade of green? When you go into a Wisconsin Badger pro shop, you don't see half of the merchandise in brick red. It's all the same shade of red.

On topic, I wish you all the best with your green-out, but my two cents (too late) is that green is the wrong color for the aforementioned reason -- white or black would be better. And the Minnesota series is the wrong series (way too much maroon and gold in the crowd).

Since this is my first post, I do NOT wish to step on anyone's toes. So please forgive me if I do.

First, I think either a green out or white out would be fabulous.

I have been to a white out in Winnipeg. This was back in 1995 during the playoff vs. the red wings. It worked as follows:

Everyone got a large white Jets T-shirt that mentioned the white out. Everyone was encouraged to make sure they either wore their White Jets jersey or the white T-shirt.

The white out was a way of encouraging the fans to get into the game, even more so than usual, and intimidate the opposition.

It worked for 3 games back in 1995.

As those of us that live on the upper plains are aware, a white out can be a very scary thing (Think Blizzard and snow).

That is why the term

As far as colors go, everyone should know that our academic colors are Pink and Kelly Green and our athletic colors are Kelly Green and White.

I like the color of the "Sioux Crew" T-shirts. I'm not sure if they are Kelly green or not, but I'm sure that color would be acceptable.

Good luck and Go Sioux!!!

You would be surprised that some people don't actually know that Pink is a school color. Sioux Crew shirts can also vary in color green, depending on what year you got them and what color they could get that year.

Good first post, though.

Just an update for everyone

So, the "official" Sioux Crew shirts for this year are white.... yeah.... not sure what the deal is with that. I've heard the reasoning that Sioux Crew teamed up with the Athletic Department so now there is a bunch of crap on the shirts as opposed to simply saying Sioux Crew.

Also, it's been three weeks since I emailed Sioux Crew the first time, two weeks since the second time... and two weeks since I emailed the Sioux Boosters (Alumni) and have yet to hear back from either of them. I'm not sure what this means, but with school and work starting, I don't have time to continuously try and get a hold of people.... I believe I am going to talk to Student Government either today or early next week (probably next week), so hopefully I will have something positive to report after that...

Just an update for everyone

So, the "official" Sioux Crew shirts for this year are white.... yeah.... not sure what the deal is with that. I've heard the reasoning that Sioux Crew teamed up with the Athletic Department so now there is a bunch of crap on the shirts as opposed to simply saying Sioux Crew.

Also, it's been three weeks since I emailed Sioux Crew the first time, two weeks since the second time... and two weeks since I emailed the Sioux Boosters (Alumni) and have yet to hear back from either of them. I'm not sure what this means, but with school and work starting, I don't have time to continuously try and get a hold of people.... I believe I am going to talk to Student Government either today or early next week (probably next week), so hopefully I will have something positive to report after that...

well, great efforts, if a green out doesnt work which i think it will, then a white out it is maybe...........

Just another update for those of you interested. I gathered some of my friends today that are interested in helping me to try and do some more planning and brainstorming. This is what we came up with:

NAME:

Green Out Weekend

Envy the Green Weekend

SHIRTS: (possible donation of shirts or money)

Engelstad Foundation/Betty Engelstad

Barnes and Noble (donated the UND 125th picture shirts)

Student Government, UPC (they have money)

Housing (have $150,000 of student fees that they have yet to figure out what to use it for)

- submit a proposal to the residence hall president's meeting

Clear Channel (and other businesses)

Alumni Association

PUBLICITY:

Signs (doors of the Ralph, Alerus, around campus, around town, etc)

XL93 and other radio stations

Grand Forks Herald

Ralph (concourse TVs and PA announcements)

Student Government (emails, etc)

WDAZ

Grand Forks Chamber of Commerce (monthly newsletter)

Football (announcements?)

PEOPLE WE WANT TO TALK TO:

Tim O'Keefe - President of the Alumni Association

-We figure in order to get donations of any sort we'd need to have help setting up an account

Tom Bunning

- We feel like this event is something that Bunning would not only enjoy, but that he would be enthusiastic in helping with publicity and possibly donations

Sioux Crew

- Help in publicity

Coach Hak

- The possibility of having the players wear green jerseys as well as the fans wear green shirts

Feel free to add comments, suggestions, and any opinions that we all know you want to share :angry:

I figured this might generate some conversation....

I've heard that Scheel's in Fargo is sponsoring a "Yellow Out" for the first Bison football game of the season next weekend....

I heard that and was like "WTF?!"

Alrite, sorry, I guess I need to get the facts straight before I start freakin out about things....

I just got off the phone with about 4 different people from Scheel's.... They told me they aren't sponsoring it and that there are not special shirts or anything like that, they are just selling a lot of gold Bison shirts for the event. However, they did tell me something about it being on TV? Don't know if they were talking about the game (which is of course going to be on TV) or if that's how it was being advertised or whatnot, but that's what they told me...

Do you think there's any way we can put out some sort of commercial or something like that? I bet that would be a big help for publicity!

I figured this might generate some conversation....

I've heard that Scheel's in Fargo is sponsoring a "Yellow Out" for the first Bison football game of the season next weekend....

I heard that and was like "WTF?!"

It will look like a toilet bowl! Lets see how it works out for them.

Also, at the Gopher series on the Friday night game, a small group of students could organize a scheme where all the students hold up a sheet of paper. It will spell "Holy Cross" in white letters with purple around it and will be held up when the gophers first come on the ice at the beginning of the game.

Here's an example (please note it's out of scale, but would be done very easily).....maybe this is the start of a purple out instead of a green out?

holycross_CONV.jpg

Also, at the Gopher series on the Friday night game, a small group of students could organize a scheme where all the students hold up a sheet of paper. It will spell "Holy Cross" in white letters with purple around it and will be held up when the gophers first come on the ice at the beginning of the game.

Here's an example (please note it's out of scale, but would be done very easily).....maybe this is the start of a purple out instead of a green out?

holycross_CONV.jpg

nah, over it...move on to a different theme

holycross_CONV.jpg

I think that is a cool idea. I would still go with a green out, but Holy Cross thing would be neat.

After recently talking to a friend who is involved with Telesis, the possibility has been brought up of Telesis becoming VERY involved in the Green Out. For those of you who are unaware, Telesis is the Student Alumni Association (I think)... I'm sure that I'll be corrected on that later tonight. They were having a meeting tonight and all the information is provided to them, so depending on their agenda they may or may not have been able to discuss helping with the Green Out. Hopefully we can get some more information either tonight or tomorrow...

After recently talking to a friend who is involved with Telesis, the possibility has been brought up of Telesis becoming VERY involved in the Green Out. For those of you who are unaware, Telesis is the Student Alumni Association (I think)... I'm sure that I'll be corrected on that later tonight. They were having a meeting tonight and all the information is provided to them, so depending on their agenda they may or may not have been able to discuss helping with the Green Out. Hopefully we can get some more information either tonight or tomorrow...

YAY! You got it right! We did switch our name tonight to the Student Alumni Association to avoid confusion but that is a different story. Everyone at the meeting seemed really excited about it and and about hopefully talking Sioux Crew into helping. We had the idea of getting t-shirts with businesses donated money or whatever to help get them and then maybe doing what other people have done by laying them on the seats at the Ralph if we can. To give you an idea, the Ralph at hockey capacity is 11,640. Though I don't know if this is seats and then there is standing room or not. Anyone know this? This would be like the towels at the championship game at the Final Five for those of you that were there. That was really all that we talked about it right now because we are really busy with Homecoming, but everyone really liked the plan.

holycross_CONV.jpg

It's a funny idea, but it should stay as just an idea. It happened, it was great to see, but it's more than old news now.

YAY! You got it right! We did switch our name tonight to the Student Alumni Association to avoid confusion but that is a different story. Everyone at the meeting seemed really excited about it and and about hopefully talking Sioux Crew into helping. We had the idea of getting t-shirts with businesses donated money or whatever to help get them and then maybe doing what other people have done by laying them on the seats at the Ralph if we can. To give you an idea, the Ralph at hockey capacity is 11,640. Though I don't know if this is seats and then there is standing room or not. Anyone know this? This would be like the towels at the championship game at the Final Five for those of you that were there. That was really all that we talked about it right now because we are really busy with Homecoming, but everyone really liked the plan.

Fabulous! Where do we go from here? Do I continue to work on making this happen or just let Telesis run with this? Should I keep working on it until after Homecoming and then come to a meeting and let you guys know what I've got and how you can help? Any ideas?

I'm very excited that this seems to be taking shape!!! :angry:

As far as the Holy Cross stuff goes... let's just focus on our team.