SiouxSports.com Forum

White Out in Grand Forks?

WiSioux

"White Out"  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Should we try and do some form of "White Out" this year at the Ralph?

• Do a White Out
    • Do a Green Out
  2. 2. When should we attempt this?

• Gopher Series at home
    • WCHA Home playoff games

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really sure about uploading things... but here is an update of what I've got:

As far as who I've talked to about possible help:

Student Government is willing to help

The REA said they have considered the idea in the past but couldn't get 11,000 shirts donated. They are willing to promote this in house on our concourse tv's and pa announcements.

Brad, from the GFH thinks that it is a good idea and if something gets going, he will be aware of it and he'll mention it on the blog and/or in the print edition

I emailed the Athletic Department and the guy that I originally emailed said he would forward my email on to several people that might be able to help, I have yet to hear back from them...

I emailed Sioux Crew yesterday and am waiting to hear from them, I also emailed the Sioux Booster this morning and am waiting to hear back from them as well.

If it gets down to it, I think we could make a sign, make some copies and tape them to the doors at the Ralph... everyone has to go through the doors to get inside so the exposure could be huge.

Oh yeah, and the facebook group has reached 100 people, so it's doing alright... could be better, but could be worse... it'll grow with time... especially once classes start up again and everyone is on their computers more often

What would the best way to go about selling shirts be?

maybe a ad in the newspaper the week before the series, that may help, maybe fans can pitch in to pay for the ad, who knows, it will happen with all these great efforts for sure!!

You could even put up a couple signs during some football games. Maybe another thing you could try. Is to get a charity to sponser. You can have people donate to them and stuff like that. Their are a lot of people with money that I bet would donate if it was a charity thing.

Perhaps someone knows the answer offhand before I start looking... but is there a rule that the home team has to wear a specific jersey.... or would it be worth my time to try and talk to the coaches and see if we can even get the team in green for this series....?

In the NCAA Rulebook it says:

"Light-colored jerseys (e.g., white, gold, yellow, or light blue) may be worn, during the regular season, by the visiting team only when the teams have agreed before the game. If the teams are unable to agree, the visiting team will wear dark-colored jerseys."

Rule 2: Teams, Section 1, page HR-22

Perhaps someone knows the answer offhand before I start looking... but is there a rule that the home team has to wear a specific jersey.... or would it be worth my time to try and talk to the coaches and see if we can even get the team in green for this series....?

thats not going to happen, just stick to the great efforts you are doing on the fans!! just a little overboard but i see what you were getting at, GREEN OUT FOR THE FANS

I need some help guys and gals! This event IS happening. Whether it be offically or unoffically, Dec 7th and 8th, the Gopher series, will be UND's first (annual I hope) Green Out. Help me get the word out... tell your family, friends, coworkers, neighbors... tell the people that sit in your section. I need to get the word out!

As of right now I am asking everyone to bring their own green apparel. I will try as hard as I can to get some sort of hand out, hopefully I can get some help with that otherwise it's gonna take a miracle because not only do I not have that much money, but I'm not sure I'd spend that much money on shirts.

I'm also still looking for some sort of "logo" idea for signs, if you've got any suggestions post them here. I'm also not sure that "Green Out" is the best thing to call our event... but I also can't come up with anything better. There won't be much publicity until hockey season starts, so that gives me awhile to try and figure something better out. Feel free to give any suggestions or advice that you have! :whistling:

Over 200 people in the facebook group, so the students seem to be taking to the idea very well. I have a few more ideas for publicity that I need to check on. Does anyone know if they still hang banners over University Ave? I think the Craft Center in the Union was responsible for those, but seeing as there no longer is a Craft Center I'm not sure...

Over 200 people in the facebook group, so the students seem to be taking to the idea very well. I have a few more ideas for publicity that I need to check on. Does anyone know if they still hang banners over University Ave? I think the Craft Center in the Union was responsible for those, but seeing as there no longer is a Craft Center I'm not sure...

Just don't ask! We'll go put one up tonight! :whistling:

Yep, they were. though I don't think they are doing them anymore due to the liability if anyone fell putting them up.

What about making buttons?!

So I was thinking more about tshirts... and if we can find sponsors and figure out how to order that many shirts, it'd be a really cool idea. So I pulled out my 2007 Big Event shirt to get ideas from... and this is what I've got:

Shirt: Kelly green short sleeved t-shirt with white writing

FRONT:

Go Green!

BACK:

At the top it would say: Green Out Weekend

Under that would be the quote: "In a land so inescapably and inhospitably cold, hockey is the chance of life, and an affirmation that despite the deathly chill of winter we are alive" ~Stephen Leacock

And at the bottom we'd have sponsor who will hopefully donate money so that we can make these shirts.

As far as the Big Event shirts, they have some green writing on the back which looks really nice in contrast with the black shirts and white writing... so maybe we could add in a little color. I guess it all depends on if we can actually get people to help us create these shirts financially... just throwing the idea out there. Let me know if you think you have a better quote, or any suggestions/improvements to my idea

The more I think about shirts, the more I think about how much easier it would be without shirts.... Since it is only the first year, I'm thinking that we should go as easy as possible on ourselves and perhaps in the future they could consider ordering shirts for the fans. I think that we should stick with wearing our own apparel. As amazing as a shirt would be, I would not only be cold, I'd also feel weird for not wearing a hockey jersey!

So I was thinking more about tshirts... and if we can find sponsors and figure out how to order that many shirts, it'd be a really cool idea. So I pulled out my 2007 Big Event shirt to get ideas from... and this is what I've got:

FRONT:

Go Green!

BACK:

Under that would be the quote: "In a land so inescapably and inhospitably cold, hockey is the chance of life, and an affirmation that despite the deathly chill of winter we are alive" ~Stephen Leacock

And at the bottom we'd have sponsor who will hopefully donate money so that we can make these shirts.

As far as the Big Event shirts, they have some green writing on the back which looks really nice in contrast with the black shirts and white writing... so maybe we could add in a little color. I guess it all depends on if we can actually get people to help us create these shirts financially... just throwing the idea out there. Let me know if you think you have a better quote, or any suggestions/improvements to my idea

With all due respect to Mr. Leakycock, how about "Puck the Gophers!"

FRONT:

Go Green!

BACK:

i would keep it very simple

FRONT - KELLY GREEN and says GO GREEN in white

BACK - sponsors name in WHITE

cheap, easy,now its time to fid a sponsor, wisioux, can you get a quotes on however many of these you need and sizes? that way its easy to pitch to sponsors

The more I think about shirts, the more I think about how much easier it would be without shirts.... Since it is only the first year, I'm thinking that we should go as easy as possible on ourselves and perhaps in the future they could consider ordering shirts for the fans. As amazing as a shirt would be.

If people don't have a shirt and want one. They can order one here: Green Out Shirt. It would also be cool because you know more than likely they are SiouxSports.com regulars.

Hopefully this fan driven tradition will continue to build support year after year until it is an offically sanctioned university event.

160128019v13_240x240_Front.jpg

160128019v13_240x240_Back.jpg

*not kelly green but definately an attention grabbing green.

If people don't have a shirt and want one. They can order one here: Green Out Shirt. It would also be cool because you know more than likely they are SiouxSports.com regulars.

Hopefully this fan driven tradition will continue to build support year after year until it is an offically sanctioned university event.

160128019v13_240x240_Front.jpg

160128019v13_240x240_Back.jpg

*not kelly green but definately an attention grabbing green.

but the shirts will be kelly green im assuming!! i dont think highlighter green/yellow will look that good

but the shirts will be kelly green im assuming!! i dont think highlighter green/yellow will look that good

That is one of the inherant problems with a green out. Many fans have...

Many different shades of Green.

I know my closet probably has about 5 different shades of shirt/sweatshirts etc of Sioux Gear.

As much as I like the idea of green, I think it would not look right with all the different shades.

That is one of the inherant problems with a green out. Many fans have

I know my closet has problems about 5 different shades of shirt/sweatshirts etc.

i hear ya but im assuming many sioux fans dont have a shirt in that color green, a few wouldnt be bad but kelly green and forest green seem to be the norm anyways, not the highlighter green...i dont really consider that example a green anyone would wear or even have in the closet, no fence :sad: