SiouxSports.com Forum

selection show

Siouxrock

My question is this...

How come Cornell gets Mankato instead of SCSU? It seems to me that they should be getting the worst of the WCHA number 4 seeds. Isn't Mankato technically higher (and, of course, better) than SCSU? It would seem to me that Cornell, as the number team in the country, would have earned the right to at least play the lesser of the WCHA number 4s since they don't get to play Mercyhurst. :)

How come Cornell gets Mankato instead of SCSU?  It seems to me that they should be getting the worst of the WCHA number 4 seeds.  Isn't Mankato technically higher (and, of course, better) than SCSU?

The bonus adjustments to RPI for quality wins can actually easily push SCSU above Mankato. Unadjusted RPIs:

SCSU: .5507

Mankato: .5528

Clearly it doesn't take much of a bonus to flip-flop those two on RPI (and PWR). .005 quality home, .003 quality neutral, and .001 quality home bonuses would be enough to put SCSU ahead of Mankato in PWR. The seeding of SCSU ahead of Mankato actually gives us a lot of insight into what the secret bonuses likely are :)

I believe on the selection show they said, first of all, SCSU and Mankato (both 4 seeds) were moved east to avoid conference match-ups with CC and MN (1 seeds). Then, Cornell (as the best 1 seed out east) gets the worst 4 seed (Mankato) while the worst 1 seed (UNH) gets the best 4 seed (SCSU). Apparently (haven't looked) SCSU finished ahead of Mankato in the pairwise.

Because those 2 (of 5) WCHA teams are 4 seeds, the cupcakes (the other 4 seeds) have to play CC and MN. Therefore, the top 1 seed (Cornell) does not get the cupcake that it seems they should have played.

The RPI's are very close, with Mankota with a slight edge (according to USCHO.com). However, as Jim pointed out, the bonuses obviously pushed SCSU over MSU-M. I didn't realize that SCSU would have many bonuses over MSU-M, which is why I found it odd that they would put SCSU over MSU-M, especially since (from what I've seen) MSU-M is definately a better team than SCSU.

we should have mroe fans there then ferris st

From what I understand, the regional sold out before the selection process, so it will be tough for Sioux fans to get a ticket. We may have a few more fans there than Ferris State but, unfortunately, there will be many more people cheering for Ferris than UND. Very few Gopher fans will cheer for UND under any circumstances.

But in fairness, I suppose the Gophers wouldn't be fan favorites if the regional were at the Ralph. :)

Come on, any real Gopher fan would cheer for UND in the early west semi. Why?

1. WCHA (WCHA RS4 defeats CCHA RS champs? That helps the league in the future.)

2. Wouldn't they take more joy in ending the Sioux season versus Ferris' season?

If they were brave and strong, they'd cheer for the Sioux on Friday.

Greyeagle, you're an aberration...so my statement still stands. ;):D

I'll be there Friday...and if I hear Gopher fans cheering for the Sioux, I'll next look for the opening of the seven seals. :)

Seriously, maybe the majority of fans there will simply be looking for a close and exciting game. I'm not quite sure what to expect. All I know is that the Sioux have to win because I don't want to be in a bad mood for the night game where I'll be forced to hear the rouser about 15 times. :D