SiouxSports.com Forum

Good News Or Bad?

Superman0099

OK, I can't decide if this is good news or bad.

Good: We get to stay out west (probably) for the NCAA regionals

Bad: We'll have to play the defending national champs on their home ice in order to get to the F4

I know we can beat them there (we did it once already) but I also know how tough of a game this is. Would we be better off getting sent east to play in Providence?

I would agree that the Gophers are playing quite well right now and they will have the added benefit of playing in their home arena on the big sheet of ice.

But, although they won last night, they certainly didn't dominate after the first ten minutes of the game. They had 25 shots on net total for the game and 10 of those came in the first 10 minutes. That means for two and a-half periods they got 15 shots on net. Not exactly dominating, but apparently good enough to win.

Also, if Waibel is a fourth liner, I wouldn't call him dominating regardless of his goal last night. Although he did score last night, he only has six goals for the year and other than his heroics against UND he has been a non-factor his entire career.

Who knows, he probably got so excited last night that he broke another bone celebrating.

UND definately could beat them, especially now that Brandt has found his head. The Gophers are playing their best hockey right now, but if you look at the past 8 years or so of the WCHA final five winners, the only ones to ever go past their regional tournaments were the Sioux, and they won national titles. However, that was before the gophers got to play their entire freakin post season on home ice. They will not be so fortunate this year, seeing that the F4 is way out in Buffalo. UND will need to bring their A game against (probably) Ferris, however, I don't think Ferris quite has the depth, especially in the defensive end, but if Mike Brown plays out of his mind they could steal a game from UND. I'm actually hoping they will play Ferris, I want to see how good Kunitz is. I do believe that the only team in the west regional that has a legitimate chance at beating UMN is the Sioux.

On a side note.... MN's 4th line dominating other team's 1st line? Scoring a goal doesn't mean dominating. :)

It's obvious that Minnesota is playing better hockey than UND right now. If the predicted brackets hold true, it could be an awesome quarterfinal at mariucci. Hopefully having david hale back brings the team to form physically and emotionally.

Wow I cant believe I am going to post about this:

Waibel is a 4th liner...how many goals should he have? He isnt a scoring forward his job is to shut down other teams forwards. That is what is meant by dominating. His goal scoring production has nothing to do with it. His scoring against UND aside, it is more about the goals he prevents on the PK and his production on arguably the best 4th line in the country (with Fleming and Smaagaard) shutting down other lines (and solid forechecking) that makes him a quality player.

I am going to assume though that you know that and are just trying to get me to post about it, cause if you honestly dont get it you know nothing about hockey.

As for the past winners of the Final Five it was different. Without byes and without having to go to Michigan the situations are not the same.

But hey look past Ferris State and focus on playing the Gophs...that is sound strategy :)

Superman, have you watched our 4th line play? In the past couple months, their play deserves to be described as dominating. In the Final Five, they had a couple amazing shifts agains the top lines of MSU-M and CC where the Mavs and Tigers could not get the puck out of the zone. Domination is not all about goals, as Handy stated. If your top line can't even get the puck out of the zone against the opponent's 4th line, then you are getting dominated. Worked. Schooled. Call it what you want to.

Minnesota is definately plugging along pretty well right now (possibly better than anyone else at the moment). It will be an absolutely exciting game if the Gophers make it past Mercyhurst and the Sioux make it past Ferris State. I for one would love to see it for the excitement factor....at the same time, I really hope 'Sota loses so we don't have to play them. ;):)

Did not see the final five games, but I'd agree having seen MN several times last year and this year that the Waibel line is very good defensively and PK'ing. However, I haven't seen them dominating puck possession, keeping the opponent from getting out of their own end. Are you saying they did this against CC? Judging from the shot differential against Mankato, I'd believe it could have been true in that game. And I'm asking about more than dominating a couple shifts, which many 3rd and 4th lines do occasionally.

Ferris is not Mercyhurst or Wayne State either, as the Gophs start with a cupcake. If the opponent gets within a couple goals (of the Gophs) it will be a miracle (maybe if they are within a couple after one period).

Saw Vaneks GWG in OT vs. Kato, very similar to the open shots Genoway and Prpich had against Reichmuth (except Vanek had less open net to hit). If they Sioux can't snipe those in, they stand little chance against the Gophers or Ferris (although I have no idea what to expect from Ferris). Would expect to get more chances against the Gophs and Ferris, however, since Duluth (IMO) is much tougher defensively than either MN or Ferris. Not nearly as good offensively, however.

A cupcake, although I'm not so sure the eastern regional teams were quite as fortunate. The luck of the no conference match-up and the WCHA being a good league.

Yeah, it's mathematical fact that Minnesota earned the right to play a cupcake more than any teams other than Cornell or CC. Of course, since there were only 2 cupcakes available, Minnesota did get lucky.

Cornell got screwed for coming from a weaker conference and the desire to avoid interconference matchups. Maine could complain, but they always could have improve their draw by playing better in the regular season. Cornell won the NCAA regular season and still got the shaft, there was nothing more they could have done.

Among the other #1 seeds, I don't see that UNH or CC should have many complaints.

(note: No flame intended)

sprig,

The SOGs had little to do with our 4th line. They weren't out there for every shift in the defensive zone. Too be honest only 2 lines were playing well all game the 4th and 2nd. All 4 goals came from these lines. The PP goals we gave up were when the 2nd unit (Riddle and Koalska I do believe) was out there I think but am not exactly sure.

If you want to know how well the 4th line has played the last 2 months just watch Jupiter's highlights from the MSUM game. Fleming's play SH in that game is what he and Waibel have been doing all year. Plus at the end of regulation in that game the 4th line had 2-3 quality chances to win the game. They didnt obviously, but they were all over MSUM.

I am not saying Waibel is a great forward, or Jake is all WCHA or anything. But if you ask anyone "The Crash Line" is what gets the team going. They always find a way to get that big check, a nice flurry, a strong forechecking shift to get the rest of the team to wake up. They also find ways to score here and there. Smaagaard had 2 goals in the Duluth series, Fleming had GWGs at CC and vs. UND (SH) and the tying goal in the Saturday game against MSUM. Waibel has assisted on some big goals, had the goal last night, the Hat Trick against a weak UAH team and a goal (for a change :D ) against UND. Fleming and Waibel have combined for almost 30 points, not too bad for the 4th line. (The 3rd player is always changing...has been Anthony, MacKinnon and Joey Martin besides Smaagaard)

Oh well that is just my opinion...but I am more than a bit biased ;):)

Handyman does have a bit of a point. While I definately would not call the Waibel-Smaagaard-Fleming line dominating by any means, they did have a hell of a tournament in the Final Five.

On another note, Justin Johnson is the main reason the Gophs won the Final Five. The first three goals were scored in the first 5:25 of the game, where Minnesota DID dominate CC. After that, however, I feel that CC outplayed Minnesota, not by a lot, but none the less outplayed them. CC had a few chances in the second period that brought back painful (and recent) memories of Sioux players missing nets and not finishing.

Handyman also has another point...DO NOT look past Ferris State, let's take this tournament one game at a time. But Minnesota shouldn't look past Mercyhurst either, two years ago they almost upset Michigan in the opening round of the NCAA's.

....And yes, we can beat them in their own building

Haven't seen TV coverage yet, but I'd expect the Fox Sports Net stations to carry everything. If FOXN does as they have in the past, games from more than one region will be on. With just two regions, games from both the east and west regions were on all day long the past couple years. With four regions and overlapping games, that can't happent this year. Best bet is to have directtv with the Sports Pake add-on.

http://www.ncaasports.com/story/arc_story/9932

Looks like Midco Cable has clearance to show the regionals. Didn't see any listings yet on the Fox Sports channels.