SiouxSports.com Forum

Judy's Incident Resolved

Sioux-cia

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the suggestions on talking to high school kids...

High school athletes are going to see JT, a kid only a year or two older than them, fresh off a second offense, coming out of a highly publicized situation without a scratch. No missed games, no problems. There is no way in hell this will persuade young student athletes to stay away from alcohol... especially if they're already drinking.

Regarding the suggestions on talking to high school kids...

High school athletes are going to see JT, a kid only a year or two older than them, fresh off a second offense, coming out of a highly publicized situation without a scratch. No missed games, no problems. There is no way in hell this will persuade young student athletes to stay away from alcohol... especially if they're already drinking.

I don't think there is really any way to disuade kids from alcohol. If they grow up with it in the house, I am sure most will eventually use it.

I'm starting to see a pattern here. There are some people who think that the boys got off easy. Maybe as far as the University goes, maybe. I don't know what the policy is for this type of offense. Are non-athletes kicked out of school? Have other coaches suspended their players for committing the same offense? It seems that the internal ramifications for the offense will remain internal. Much as our curiosity is wanting to know ALL, it seems reasonable that UND does what many other schools do in this case, keep it behind closed doors.

As far as the legal system, I don't see where they got away with anything. There seems to be a double standard here folks. Some think that because they got the same punishment that any other minor gets it's somehow not enough because they're who they are.

If the legal system and Hak are satisfied with the punishments, so am I.

BUT, I gotta tell ya because they posted the reports would be made public, I still am waiting for those reports that Hockeydude and Yttrium posted about.

I'm starting to see a pattern here. There are some people who think that the boys got off easy. Maybe as far as the University goes, maybe. I don't know what the policy is for this type of offense. Are non-athletes kicked out of school? Have other coaches suspended their players for committing the same offense? It seems that the internal ramifications for the offense will remain internal. Much as our curiosity is wanting to know ALL, it seems reasonable that UND does what many other schools do in this case, keep it behind closed doors.

you can find University Policies online in the code of student life

Drug Free Schools and Communites Act Information

Alchol and Drug Policy Statement

University Disciplinary Sanctions

These are the links that I could find that relate to alcohol. If anyone has any questions, I can keep looking.

I'm a janitor.

Funny, I know a few OR nurses that claim the same thing. :)

My mother plays janitor sometimes after the dieticians get through with patients some times. Having gone through what she describes (She says it like "Well, that dietician doesn't like his/her job"), it's nice to have someone competant to clean things up. :wink:

I don't think there is really any way to disuade kids from alcohol. If they grow up with it in the house, I am sure most will eventually use it.

I don't even think it's that easy to figure out.

Most of the people I grew up with that I still communicate with said that their first time with alcohol was due to the influence of friends, not parents. I think everyone here went to high school knowing at least one person they'd classify as "stupid." However, in the context of what we're talking about, how many high schoolers can identify a friend that is truly "stupid" in this way? I seem to recall not many people wanting to hang out with the "idiots." So, it is natural to exclude your friends when you think about the crowd you hang with.

My best friend's father is an alcoholic. This means alcohol has been around the house his entire life. He's not "dry" by any means, but he certainly isn't the kind that goes out for a drink every Friday. In fact, he rarely drinks alochol at all.

I think there are MANY reasons why kids drink. Most of the reasons are infantile at best. Sure, I'm aware that most of the time drinking doesn't cause any problems regardless of age (within reason). However, the justification for doing so has never been so meaningless.

I don't even think it's that easy to figure out.

Most of the people I grew up with that I still communicate with said that their first time with alcohol was due to the influence of friends, not parents. I think everyone here went to high school knowing at least one person they'd classify as "stupid." However, in the context of what we're talking about, how many high schoolers can identify a friend that is truly "stupid" in this way? I seem to recall not many people wanting to hang out with the "idiots." So, it is natural to exclude your friends when you think about the crowd you hang with.

My best friend's father is an alcoholic. This means alcohol has been around the house his entire life. He's not "dry" by any means, but he certainly isn't the kind that goes out for a drink every Friday. In fact, he rarely drinks alochol at all.

I think there are MANY reasons why kids drink. Most of the reasons are infantile at best. Sure, I'm aware that most of the time drinking doesn't cause any problems regardless of age (within reason). However, the justification for doing so has never been so meaningless.

I do think Toews got way jumped on for this, especially from the country and culture that he comes from, I will agree with Sioux Hab-It on that point. However, being a CanadiEn doesnt excuse his behavior in the States, and if you're caught, you face the consequences. If I'm speeding down the 401 and forgot to convert mph into km, the OPP isnt going to let me off because I'm an American in Canada. Ignorance or disregard of the law is not an excuse and should not lessen the consequences. Hopefully he'll learn from it and not get caught next time. He isnt the first and wont be the last to be busted in a bar

RW77 Having worked with youth and at-risk juveniles for the last 3 years I have encountered four kinds of kids and how/why they'll use or abuse drugs and alcohol

The party kids--considered socially accepted for whatever reason. Can handle it or spiral out of control. Can lead to abuse and dependence, can also influence their already ridiculous levels of impulsivity

The pressured kids--dont want to, get sucked in by the group. Again, increases impulsive behaviors that can cause problems.

The dependent--use and abuse to cover up their problems and likely have alcoholic parents and chaotic home life.

The non-user--doesnt touch it, might later when its legal. May also have alcoholic parents and work hard to avoid that path.

Bottom line like some have said...if you can save one by a speech, fantastic. But most wont listen and its one of those things that parents need to educate their own children, set expectations boundaries and values early and its one of those things that impulsive identity seeking adolescents/young people need to figure out on their own

Taking off my Skinner hat...

What ever happened to the other 3 or 4 people that were busted at the same time? Haven't heard a word about their punishment. :)

There names were barely a blurb in the newspaper.

they also aren't high profile athletes in the major sport at und.

those who had prior runins with the law (minors) were given the same sentence as toews.

they also aren't high profile athletes in the major sport at und.

those who had prior runins with the law (minors) were given the same sentence as toews.

My point exactly.

EDIT: They MAY have multiple run-ins with the law proir to this, but since they aren't high profile athletes, who really cares.