SiouxSports.com Forum

Oklahoma City U move up imminent?

star2city

Oklahoma City University adds women's wrestling, prepares for Division I

Couldn't help but think this is an opportunity that NDSU couldn't possibly turn down. If they started women's wrestling, they'd be a national power pronto. :lol: This might be the way for them to get a DI championship. :silly:

Oklahoma City University announced plans Tuesday to add a women's wrestling program next year, joining only a handful of other U.S. schools that compete in the Olympic sport.

"If we're going to begin a sport, it's not bad in my opinion to be at the forefront of it," athletic director Jim Abbott said.

Oklahoma City joins only four other varsity women's college wrestling programs in the country, said Gary Abbott of USA Wrestling. There are also two club teams and one group of wrestlers that train at the U.S. Olympic Education Center at Northern Michigan University.

Officials estimate about 5,000 girls wrestle at high schools across the country, and the sport has been growing rapidly in recent years. Women's wrestling was added to the Olympics in 2004.

The OCU President also confirms that DI is very possible.

The addition is also a part of Oklahoma City's investigation of a possible move back to NCAA Division I status. The school dropped to the NAIA following the 1984-85 school year and has won 28 national championships at the NAIA level in the past 21 years.

To move back into the NCAA, Oklahoma City would have to wait through a seven-year transitional period during which it would not be able to compete for championships at either level. The school has already made improvements to its athletic facilities.

"Today is another step in that direction," university President Tom McDaniel said.

Are we talking about bikini-style mud-wrestling here, or WWF style ala Miss Elizabeth, Sable, Torrey, etc.? Those are the only two types of women's wrestling right? :silly:

I think HBO or ESPN pay-per-view would have to televise those matches...I can't see Steve Halstrom calling those matches for WDAY...but I certainly would watch...It would be better than watching women's hockey on FSN-North

Oklahoma City University adds women's wrestling, prepares for Division I

Couldn't help but think this is an opportunity that NDSU couldn't possibly turn down. If they started women's wrestling, they'd be a national power pronto. :lol: This might be the way for them to get a DI championship. :silly:

The OCU President also confirms that DI is very possible.

It's been said before if all NDSU was interested in was a DI NC we start a hockey program. Only 13 full DI teams and 58 or so total teams. Hell if Mankato and St. Clould can be competitive ---

It's been said before if all NDSU was interested in was a DI NC we start a hockey program. Only 13 full DI teams and 58 or so total teams. Hell if Mankato and St. Clould can be competitive ---

How many National Championships do Mankato and St. Clou(l)d have in DI hockey?

It's been said before if all NDSU was interested in was a DI NC we start a hockey program. Only 13 full DI teams and 58 or so total teams.

By the standard you are quoting there, NDSU is not a "full DI team".

There are 13 DI FBS (DI-A) schools, 14 FCS (DI-AA) schools, and 6 DI (no football) schools playing hockey for 33 of the 58 programs.

(Disclaimer: I may be off by one or two with the likes of Robert Morris coming in to hockey.)

So which is it:

- NDSU is not a "full DI", or

- more than half of DI hockey is DI schools.

Hell if Mankato and St. Clould can be competitive ---

If it's so easy, get in the game.

If it's so easy, get in the game.

But Bison Dan has a point. Mankato and St. Cloud do compete in DI hockey. They never win anything of any significance, but they do compete. I could see NDSU doing that. :silly:

• 2 months later...

Money biggest obstacle for Oklahoma City U returning to NCAA Division I

The biggest obstacle is money. OCU's annual athletic budget is just over $4 million. The university study showed the school's budget would need to balloon to $9 million to compete with non-football-playing NCAA schools. It's a cavernous gap to bridge.

Schools moving up from NAIA ranks to DI (like OCU and Houston Baptsits ) face a seven year probation period, rather than five. Houston Baptist is hoping for the transition period to be reduced.

There are obstacles beyond cash, brick and steel. The NCAA imposes a seven-year probation phase on schools joining its ranks. New members can't compete for national championships during that stretch.

But Houston Baptist is challenging that rule. Like OCU, Houston Baptist was previously an NCAA Division I member. The school decided last fall to move to the NCAA in hopes of raising its profile, both academically and athletically. Houston Baptist faces similar challenges as OCU.

"When we started this process it was a three-year penalty,

OCU Picks Up 2 NCAA Division I Transfers

Oklahoma City University, the reigning NAIA Division I basketball champion, has signed five players, including two who are coming from NCAA Division I programs.

OCU coach Ray Harper says Ollie Bailey, a 6'7 senior from Chicago, is transferring from Rutgers. Bailey averaged 9.7 points per game as a freshman. Last season, as a junior, he played in 28 of the Scarlet Knights' 29 games.

I never even heard of OCU until a couple weeks ago when Ollie transferred. He hustled under the boards,but never improved as an overall player after his freshman year and hasn't seen many minutes recently. I wish him the best in OK City.

GO SCARLET KNIGHTS!

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!

• 2 weeks later...
Appears as if OCU may not be moving up - at least not declaring this coming year.

AGS Lin

OCU didn't submit their application by the deadline. Next year may be possible. But because OCU will be moving up from NAIA, their transition if they decide to move ahead will be 7 years rather than 5 years.