SiouxSports.com Forum

BC / MSU

7>4

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To tie this in with some of the stuff on the threads about UND/BC, the tightly called game really forced UND to abandon its game plan of wearing BC down physically. MSU was able to play physically, and they played a safe game. It's not in UND's nature to play a safe game like that, but I wouldn't have minded it if it would have had this result.

This MSU championship team can sidle right up next to Denver's first team that came from outer space to win the title. It truly shows that anyone who makes it into the tournament can win it. MSU also won the beanpot this year.

MSU is very young. Is there any talk of any of their super Sophs moving on to the NHL? JK is right, winning a NC is tough. A one and done tourney is much harder to win then a best of 5 of best of 7. Give me the NCAA's over the NHL any day.

Spartans put the nail in the coffin by scoring an empty netter. MSU 3 BC 1 FINAL.

Congratulations to the Spartans! They deserve it! I didn't want the east to win the title. This is a great win for MSU and the CCHA as a whole.

I loved the BC player skating by on the empty netter...did you see him shatter his stick by smaching it against the pipe? Nice.

Great storyline is the Michigan State goalie...5' 6" and played awesome through his battle with asthma.

Nice job Spartans.

P.S. I think it is the year of the "little guy".

Duncan with the Hobey

Lerg with Championship.

It is not this size of the dog in the fight....but the size of the fight in the dog!

And dangit, if only UND could've played smart in the 3rd period on Thursday. :lol:

Actually I thought they played a really great period of playoff hockey on Thursday in the third, until things went wacky in the last six minutes or so. They had taken most of BC's chances away, especially compared to the second, which was ridiculous. Then the whole Kaip line got caught deep chasing the puck behind BC's net, resulting in the rush that broke the 2-2 tie. Then the not-smart stuff you referred to.

I am shocked that MSU won this game. I thought it was BC's for the taking. Apparently BC thought that, too.
Thought the same thing PCM.That Kennedy kid can play and I'm thinking Boyle would like this one back as he played terrible.Is it October yet?

Great defensive game by MSU. Shep was his usual inconsistent self, but, after the Shegos no checking allowed third period last night, maybe the WCHA referees are the best in the country. Sad if true.

Thought the same thing PCM.That Kennedy kid can play and I'm thinking Boyle would like this one back as he played terrible.Is it October yet?

Boyle certainly decided he wanted to play offense, and left his d position vacant more and more as the game went along. That experiment went one game too long.

And Schneider was awful on the tieing goal, got down in the butterfly in the center of the net leaving nearly half the short side open. The game was won by Lerg, and lost by Schneider.

To tie this in with some of the stuff on the threads about UND/BC, the tightly called game really forced UND to abandon its game plan of wearing BC down physically. MSU was able to play physically, and they played a safe game. It's not in UND's nature to play a safe game like that, but I wouldn't have minded it if it would have had this result.

This MSU championship team can sidle right up next to Denver's first team that came from outer space to win the title. It truly shows that anyone who makes it into the tournament can win it. MSU also won the beanpot this year.

great post. I was there on Thurs and I think you hit the nail on the head about our loss.

man, if I was a BC fan I would be in a worse state than I was when the Sioux lost on thursday. I mean 2 national championship games in a row and nothing to show for it...that's really heartbreaking.

This I agree with. Could you imagine the Sioux beating Michigan, MN and BC, only to lose to MSU? And on a game-winner with just 19 seconds left. Ouch. The fanbase will be traumatized for a long time over this one.

The BU fans are diggin' it though.

great post. I was there on Thurs and I think you hit the nail on the head about our loss.

I agree. The CCHA ref seemed determined not to let either team play physically in Thursday night's game.

Probably. I guess I didn't see your response.

Not trying to rip on you, PCM. My reply to yours on the earlier thread (I can't seem to find it) was something about how I didn't expect a blow-out and that everyone was saying the same thing this past football season when Ohio State played Florida in football. Anything can happen in a one-game scenario.

Congratulations to Rick Comley. The man started the Northern Michigan program from scratch and it was a gut-wrenching decision for him to leave his 'baby' and replace his mentor at Michigan State. I was at the first game the Spartans played at NMU when he was the new coach and it was an emotional evening for the Wildcat fans, players, and obviously Rick, who was on the opposing bench. He's another guy who has gotten a bad rap for not winning 'the big one' and I'm glad he has gotten his second title (NMU '91). Congratulations Spartan fans, coaches, and players.

That being said, for those fans whining that UND is "only" 7 out of 17 in Frozen Fours. BC's been there often enough in the past ten years and has exactly one title to show for it. Anything can happen...and it usually does.

I agree. The CCHA ref seemed determined not to let either team play physically in Thursday night's game.

Carefull PCM the thread police are going to be taking you to task. :D:lol::D

By the way I agree with you. Maybe Shep doesn't look so bad after all eh?