SiouxSports.com Forum

Ryan Duncan

siouxnami

Not sure if we will stay for the skills challange either, but dont want to miss the Hobey ceremony. I think this is our year.

Hey if you could, get a puck signed by DUNCS! ??? Only kidding! I cant believe the week is here! now bring on thursday! What time is the announcement made on friday? I guess ss.com will be my answer also since I dont get espnu :D

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/INCH.htm

Nice job Duncan. Another individual award for a player who most wants the team award. Good pick by INCH, now resume INCH bashing... ???

This is very disconcerting. I have been in my Rodney Dangerfield mode of "we get no respect" since INCH started. I've even sent a couple of nasty grams when I felt they had gotten way out of hand and now they pick Duncs to win the HOBEY, name him player of the year and do a pod cast that is actually complimentary to the Sioux (and objective - in my opinion - on some of the goofs shortcomings :p ). These dudes are SERIOUSLY messing with my head. :D:sad:

BREEEEEEAAAATTTTHHHHHEEEEE!!!!..............

ok, now that that is out of the way. Wow what a stressful week this is going to be. Duncan has been racking up the honors, and he still has 2 he is shooting for (pun intended :D ). And Hak has one as well. What is so stressful is that we could get all 3, or we could not get any. Our chances are good to get at least 1 of the 3, but who knows. All i know is this week is gonna be as stressful as the OT vs. Minnesota. That's the only thing i could equate it to. National Championship, Hobey Baker award, and Coach of the Year all are possible this week, and it's a LOOOONG week ahead of us. I just hope the guys take this week to rest, recover, and increase their grit going into Thirsday night because they will have to give it their all against a very good BC team. Let's just keep our spirits up and stay positive about what is coming up this weekend and we will be fine!

GO SIOUX!!!!

While I would love to see Hakstol get the Penrose, I think that Jeff Jackson will get it again. He did a very good job turning around the Notre Dame program.

Duncan very much deserves the Hobey, but I wouldn't be terribly disappointed to see Ehn or Brown get the award either. They both have had fantastic years as well.

The only one that really matters is the national title. Let's hope the boys bring home that award at least. :D

i just dont get the deal with Brown and Ehn:

Notre Dame didnt hardly play any BIG name, really good schools. They played Michigan for a 2 game series and won both games, played BC once (although dominated the game 7-1), and played Michigan State 3 times (inlcuding the last game) and only won once. The other teams they played were teams like Miami (Ohio), Ohio state, army, air force, nebraska-omaha, northern michigan, robert morris, lake superior state, etc. Not to take anything away from those teams, but they are not WCHA or Hockey East teams, not teams that dominate. I understand Brown had a good save percentage, but that was against teams that dont really score much anyways. the offense in front of him did most of the work for those wins, with one 9 goal game, three 7 goal games, four 6 goal games, and so on. That doesnt speak to his skill as a goalie. He has skill, but he wouldnt last in the WCHA.

As for Ehn, ok, he lead the league in scoring. His team played Colorado College once and lost, and they played Denver once, and lost. Other than that they played teams like Mercyhurst (2-2), RIT (1-2-1), Canisius (2-2), Sacred Heart (0-0-2), Bentley (2-2) and Holy Cross (1-0-2). I thought the Hobey Baker was meant to be a sort of MVP of the league. As far as i can tell, regardless of how many goals and assists Ehn got, he didnt do enough to help his team win more then they did, and against teams that they should have beat.

Duncan played consistently when this team was bad, and has been racking up the points while we have been amazing as well. Sure he isn't the highest scoring player, or the best playmaker, but he earned playor of the year in the toughest conference in the NCAA, and he also earned player of the year for the whole NCAA from one of the top college analysis sites in the country. I think Duncan has done enough, in the hardest conference, to prove he has earned this honor more than anyone left. If Hensick was still in it, he'd win. but he isnt. Brown is a good goalie....but only at that level. Ehn is a high scorer, but against bad teams, and didnt even help his team beat those teams enough. Plus, UND is still in the hunt for the NC.

So as far as im concerned, Duncan deserves the Hobey Baker more than Brown or Ehn.

i just dont get the deal with Brown and Ehn:

Notre Dame didnt hardly play any BIG name, really good schools. They played Michigan for a 2 game series and won both games, played BC once (although dominated the game 7-1), and played Michigan State 3 times (inlcuding the last game) and only won once. The other teams they played were teams like Miami (Ohio), Ohio state, army, air force, nebraska-omaha, northern michigan, robert morris, lake superior state, etc. Not to take anything away from those teams, but they are not WCHA or Hockey East teams, not teams that dominate. I understand Brown had a good save percentage, but that was against teams that dont really score much anyways. the offense in front of him did most of the work for those wins, with one 9 goal game, three 7 goal games, four 6 goal games, and so on. That doesnt speak to his skill as a goalie. He has skill, but he wouldnt last in the WCHA.

As for Ehn, ok, he lead the league in scoring. His team played Colorado College once and lost, and they played Denver once, and lost. Other than that they played teams like Mercyhurst (2-2), RIT (1-2-1), Canisius (2-2), Sacred Heart (0-0-2), Bentley (2-2) and Holy Cross (1-0-2). I thought the Hobey Baker was meant to be a sort of MVP of the league. As far as i can tell, regardless of how many goals and assists Ehn got, he didnt do enough to help his team win more then they did, and against teams that they should have beat.

Duncan played consistently when this team was bad, and has been racking up the points while we have been amazing as well. Sure he isn't the highest scoring player, or the best playmaker, but he earned playor of the year in the toughest conference in the NCAA, and he also earned player of the year for the whole NCAA from one of the top college analysis sites in the country. I think Duncan has done enough, in the hardest conference, to prove he has earned this honor more than anyone left. If Hensick was still in it, he'd win. but he isnt. Brown is a good goalie....but only at that level. Ehn is a high scorer, but against bad teams, and didnt even help his team beat those teams enough. Plus, UND is still in the hunt for the NC.

So as far as im concerned, Duncan deserves the Hobey Baker more than Brown or Ehn.

Just to add to what you said:

Brown also faced less than 20 shots per game if I remember right. However, winning their conference convincingly does help.

Ehn also faced Minnesota...and nearly won for that matter. I understand that the award shouldn't have any added influence by background and whatnot, but voters may lean towards Ehn because he is in the Air Force and Hobey died flying a plane in France for the military in WWI. Also, this is the first time a player from their conference has been one of the finalists, not sure how much of a bearing that will have.

As for Duncan. He has been the cornerstone of this team the whole season. However, you can say the same thing for Duncan as you can for Ehn in the fact that we WERE losing in the first half of the season despite Duncan's numbers. You can say we'd be much worse off without him, but same goes with Ehn. It was when Lammy and Oshie got healthy, and Toews got back from the World Jrs.

I say it's really a split decision with any...my guess is that it's between Ehn and Duncan though. Hopefully the voters aren't swayed away from having another WCHA winner though after recent years.

Ehn also faced Minnesota...and nearly won for that matter. I understand that the award shouldn't have any added influence by background and whatnot, but voters may lean towards Ehn because he is in the Air Force and Hobey died flying a plane in France for the military in WWI. Also, this is the first time a player from their conference has been one of the finalists, not sure how much of a bearing that will have.

to respond to this, i understand completely what you are saying, and i agree with the impact it probably will have. HOWEVER, it SHOULDNT have that impact. this honor isnt about how you are similar to Hobey Baker in your career choice. it isnt about how many times someone from your conference has or hasnt been in this position. it IS about the BEST ALL-AROUND PLAYER IN COLLEGE HOCKEY.

to respond to this, i understand completely what you are saying, and i agree with the impact it probably will have. HOWEVER, it SHOULDNT have that impact. this honor isnt about how you are similar to Hobey Baker in your career choice. it isnt about how many times someone from your conference has or hasnt been in this position. it IS about the BEST ALL-AROUND PLAYER IN COLLEGE HOCKEY.

Which is pretty much what I said. :silly:

However, I don't agree with your Best All-Around player, b/c there are other factors that go into it than on-ice performance.

However, I don't agree with your Best All-Around player, b/c there are other factors that go into it than on-ice performance.

lol yeah i know, i was just restating it :-P and yeah, i know that isnt all it is about, but that is first and foremost, and i dont think Ehn or Brown are best all around.