SiouxSports.com Forum

The official thread of coach and team appreciation

farce poobah

I have said this before but its time to say it once again.

I am absolutely thrilled at the manner in which Coach Hakstol, his staff, and this team, represent my alma mater.

Hakstol:

• In press conferences, articulate and complementary to the opponents, win or lose.
  • Just about every postgame show (or listen to the press conference yesterday), talks about the pride of wearing the jersey, what it means, and how that should influence how the guys behave on the ice.
  • During the game Sunday, Sioux put the go-ahead goal on the board in the 3rd, and he does not permit himself the luxury of a smile, just a steely glare, watching and observing.
  • After the game, in the handshake line, no smile either, but an easy to lip-read "nice game".

All this character, steely resolve, shows in how this team presents itself on the ice. They act like they've been there before. They play together as well as any North Dakota team in the past decade. They have their weak spots, and they cover for each other. And they do it all in a humble, low-key kinda way. Its true that teams take on the character of their coaches. Its also true they take on the character of their best players - insert list here - all unwilling to admit maybe they are the reason for tonight's win.

I find it refreshing in an old-fashioned, Bud Grant kinda way.

Other teams can have their jersey poppers, their guys with egos too big to fit in the locker room. I'm happy with my team just the way they are.

Gentlemen, thank you. Win or lose, you make it a privilege for me to call myself a fan of UND hockey.

Go Sioux!

nice Farce! I totally agree but check the tape...Hak cracks a little smile after it's over. I don't mind that either! You can't hold back all the emotion all the time.

3 Frozen Fours in his first 3 years as head coach? anyone think he might get a better offer and would he entertain it? Given the family and team ties, I'd guess not but the LTC/UND WILL be writing a bigger check next year...no doubt!

nice Farce! I totally agree but check the tape...Hak cracks a little smile after it's over. I don't mind that either! You can't hold back all the emotion all the time.

3 Frozen Fours in his first 3 years as head coach? anyone think he might get a better offer and would he entertain it? Given the family and team ties, I'd guess not but the LTC/UND WILL be writing a bigger check next year...no doubt!

They better... and if they don't... just send around a big jar at the student union and a paypal email to us alumni and I/We will fill the jar with as much money as we can afford if it means a raise for Hak and keeping him around.

I was thinking today about how much I enjoy Dane, I don't know what it is. I believe Hak should stay his normal stoned-face self, very intimidating. But if you watch the GWG from last night, Dane looks like a little kid celebrating, and the emotion that he shows in the good times and bad times is what I like in an assistant coach.

IMO:

Hak-The fearless leader

Cary-The father figure to the players

Dane-The brother, or friend to the players

I was thinking today about how much I enjoy Dane, I don't know what it is. I believe Hak should stay his normal stoned-face self, very intimidating. But if you watch the GWG from last night, Dane looks like a little kid celebrating, and the emotion that he shows in the good times and bad times is what I like in an assistant coach.

IMO:

Hak-The fearless leader

I too noticed this. Dane Jacksons reaction to winning is priceless!!! I love it. Just from another point of view, that of a student, and coaches and players are amazing. I had Coach Eades as an instructor last semester (yes for ice skating) and even though I haven't been in his class since December, he still remembers me and says hello when he sees me. What a great group of guys!!!

I believe most of us didn't blame that goal on Lee. Chorney tried to make a play at the far blue line when he probably should have just dumped the puck low into the corner. Taking the a chance at that time in the game was not appropriate. Anyway its water under the bridge. It doesn't mean squat now that the Gophers are gone and everybody can concentrate on some good hockey players rather than a bunch of over-hyped wannabees.

Nothing really wrong with Lee. He's a solid college defencemen who may bulk up and become a decent NHL defencemen one day. He's never going to be the big intimidator that some people want. As long as he separates the man from the puck when he is supposed to and he contributes offensively than that's all that can or should be expected.

A great synopsis Farce!

I had the pleasure of meeting Coach Hakstol in Dayton at the Lefty McFadden Tournament in 2005. He seen my son and I in our Sioux jerseys and he approached us. He spent more than a few minutes conversing with us about the upcoming season and made it very clear as to how much he appreictaes the fan support when they are playing away from Grand Forks.

A class act!

I agree. I think Lee has played very well for the last month. I know some say he could have skated harder on Wheeler-pop's diving goal, but I really think he has stepped up his game. We would be in a lot of trouble without him on the blue line. Nice work Brian and Go Sioux!

I agree Lee was solid this weekend. Nothing flashy but played well. He and Chorney play well together. I think it will be a huge advantage this year against BC having an extra year of experience for our d corps.

Just to add to this. I was lucky enough to greet the team at 12:30 a.m on Monday morning in Fargo. There were only five of us there. Coach Hakstol was the first to get off the charter plane and as we were standing there he came right up to us and asked us what he thought of the game. He evened remembered my last name as I had the privilege (sp?) of golfing with him in the Detroit Lakes Sioux-per Swing. He and that staff are first-class all the way. It was awesome. One added note: Joe Finley is absolutley a giant. I always know that the players and the coaching staff represent the state and the university in a gentlemanly way with dignity and pride....and to me that is what it is all about because it just carries over to how they play...........with alot of grit, get-up and go, pride and heart. And to me, that's what it is all about. The wins and losses will take care of themselves.

GO SIOUX!

Just to add to this. I was lucky enough to greet the team at 12:30 a.m on Monday morning in Fargo. There were only five of us there. Coach Hakstol was the first to get off the charter plane and as we were standing there he came right up to us and asked us what he thought of the game. He evened remembered my last name as I had the privilege (sp?) of golfing with him in the Detroit Lakes Sioux-per Swing. He and that staff are first-class all the way. It was awesome. One added note: Joe Finley is absolutley a giant. I always know that the players and the coaching staff represent the state and the university in a gentlemanly way with dignity and pride....and to me that is what it is all about because it just carries over to how they play...........with alot of grit, get-up and go, pride and heart. And to me, that's what it is all about. The wins and losses will take care of themselves.

GO SIOUX!

How was Hak's game?

IMO:

Hak-The fearless leader

... provided that "father figure" includes "kick your a$$" if you aren't getting the job done.

They better... and if they don't... just send around a big jar at the student union and a paypal email to us alumni and I/We will fill the jar with as much money as we can afford if it means a raise for Hak and keeping him around.

The radio guys were saying during the Saturday game (I think it was that game) that Hak's contract comes up this summer and they were estimating his salary will be between 250-300 thousand. Not bad for a 'hak'.

The class flows throughout the entire coaching staff and team. Everyone is always giving the credit to others. Completely unselfish, without a hint of "me" anywhere. I thought that the between period interviews on Saturday night showed a stark contrast: Chris Porter vs T.J. Hensick. One had class, and the other left you guessing. I won't say which was which, but Iron Man is one classy individual. I believe that right now Chicago has to be very happy with what they are seeing.