SiouxSports.com Forum

STL

Ohjay

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going for the free beer. Anyone surprized?

Don't expect much free beer at the Anheiser Busch Brewery tour. I think all they give out is two ten oz cups.

Schlafly Bottle Works is nice though. The Metrolink Train may go near there now too - I'm not absolutley positive on that, not my area of town.

Thanks a lot for the info from a Sioux Fan in the cities. I especially appreciate the knowledge that NE St. Louis, MO is cosmo as opposed to "not so cosmo" across the river. Do you have any desire and/or pull to get us a designated Sioux Bar for the FF?

It's so much that it isn't cosmopolitan in North & East St. Louis, as much as it is an absolute dump and not for the faint of heart. Most of the area is pretty typical though for a city the size of St. Louis. But if you're looking to really upgrade your experience outside of Downtown St. Louis, then you need to visit Clayton, MO just a few miles west of Downtown.

And no, I won't cooridinate your group activities, sorry - I'm not free at all in April through May anyway :D. As part of what I do I meet people from all over the nation that travel to STL and the great majority of them have a positive experience.

Question. The quickest way to drive from Grand Forks to St Louis is to take I-29 all the way to Kansas City and then cut over to St Louis, right? How many hours does this take assuming a restroom break once every 3 to 4 hours? I am guessing about 15 hours, but have any of you ever driven it before? The only reason I ask is that Yahoo Maps tries showing a route that goes down I-29 but cuts across Iowa, and then South into St Louis, which seems like a longer route.

And no, dropping a couple of thousand dollars on the charter is not in the budget, but it would be nice if it was.

Question. The quickest way to drive from Grand Forks to St Louis is to take I-29 all the way to Kansas City and then cut over to St Louis, right? How many hours does this take assuming a restroom break once every 3 to 4 hours? I am guessing about 15 hours, but have any of you ever driven it before? The only reason I ask is that Yahoo Maps tries showing a route that goes down I-29 but cuts across Iowa, and then South into St Louis, which seems like a longer route.

And no, dropping a couple of thousand dollars on the charter is not in the budget, but it would be nice if it was.

Going through KC may not be the shortest way, but it is close and it is by far the easiest way. Unfortunately where I live in Rochester, it is a real clusterf&*% to get to St. Louis.

Going through KC may not be the shortest way, but it is close and it is by far the easiest way. Unfortunately where I live in Rochester, it is a real clusterf&*% to get to St. Louis.

For you in Rochester, take 67 down to Waterloo IA, then 380 to Iowa City and IA 27 Across in MO. From there, just follow US 61 into STL. Take it all the time.

For you in GF, either I-29 or Via the Twin Cities south to Mason City/IA to IA 27 is about the same. The I 29 route is boring as hell (take it from a guy who drives it way to often). I made it in 12 hours this summer, stopping every 3-4 (KC/Omaha/Sioux Falls and Grand Forks). Remember: higher speed limits in ND and SD.

But if you're looking to really upgrade your experience outside of Downtown St. Louis, then you need to visit Clayton, MO just a few miles west of Downtown.

The east side and North STL is great if you want to get shot at. Remember the STL scene is Vacation? It was shot in North St Louis.....

Here's my recommendations after living here for 4 years:

1) Fast Eddy's in Alton, IL (just across the river on US 67). Ice Cold Beer and good, cheap food (nothing fancy). Kinda like the Red Pepper, only with ice cold beer.

2) Any Italian restaurant on "The Hill", which is located southwest of Scottrade (I-44 and Kingshighway). No chains, good, family recipe Italian. Cunneto's is highly recommended (5453 Magnolia)

3) Eau Bar/ Eau Cafe located in the Chase Park Plaza (212 Kingshighway)

4) Blueberry Hill . Chuck Berry's restaurant (6504 Delmar)

5) Pujol's 5 (Located in Westport Plaza, I-270 and Page) (Yes, it's Albert's place).....

6) Trainwreck Saloon (Maplewood and Westport)

Depending upon the part of town you are in, there are easy ways to get around (Including the metrolink (STL's light rail)) if you are in Clayton, Central West End, Forest Park or Clayton.

LET'S GO SIOUX

For you in Rochester, take 67 down to Waterloo IA, then 380 to Iowa City and IA 27 Across in MO. From there, just follow US 61 into STL. Take it all the time.

For you in GF, either I-29 or Via the Twin Cities south to Mason City/IA to IA 27 is about the same. The I 29 route is boring as hell (take it from a guy who drives it way to often). I made it in 12 hours this summer, stopping every 3-4 (KC/Omaha/Sioux Falls and Grand Forks). Remember: higher speed limits in ND and SD.

Wow, 12 hours? Did your wheels touch the ground :lol:

I am still trying to figure out if I could go. I wouldn't be able to leave until about noon on Friday...and my sister bailed out on me so I'm still a solo traveler.

I'm not leaving until 6:30 am Saturday. Solo traveler, maybe, but one of about 1200 Sioux fans!! GO!!!!

Remember this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uZBMaaAzhE

The east side and North STL is great if you want to get shot at. Remember the STL scene is Vacation? It was shot in North St Louis.....

Here's my recommendations after living here for 4 years:

1) Fast Eddy's in Alton, IL (just across the river on US 67). Ice Cold Beer and good, cheap food (nothing fancy). Kinda like the Red Pepper, only with ice cold beer.

2) Any Italian restaurant on "The Hill", which is located southwest of Scottrade (I-44 and Kingshighway). No chains, good, family recipe Italian. Cunneto's is highly recommended (5453 Magnolia)

3) Eau Bar/ Eau Cafe located in the Chase Park Plaza (212 Kingshighway)

4) Blueberry Hill . Chuck Berry's restaurant (6504 Delmar)

5) Pujol's 5 (Located in Westport Plaza, I-270 and Page) (Yes, it's Albert's place).....

6) Trainwreck Saloon (Maplewood and Westport)

Depending upon the part of town you are in, there are easy ways to get around (Including the metrolink (STL's light rail)) if you are in Clayton, Central West End, Forest Park or Clayton.

LET'S GO SIOUX

Tellm e is there a Chik-fil-a in STL. i love that place

Anyone bringing there golf clubs? I am in Florida right now and changed my flights so I will still have the stix with me?

Just got back from Pinehurst golfing, clubs would definitely have to come with to St. Louis! :lol: Temps are nice in St. Louis right now.

67? Do you mean US 63? That was the way that Google suggested. BTW, we are going down 1 day early to see a Wednesday night game between the Cards and Mets at the new stadium.

I found out yesterday that the team is staying at the Sheraton City Center Hotel across from the arena. Guess where we're staying :lol:

Here are some St Louis notes from posters on USCHO:

Bars:

Schlafy's has the Taproom downtown as previously posted and the Bottleworks in Maplewood

Areas around Scottrade for bars are Bernie Federko's sports bar in the Sheraton right across the street. Union Station is not far and I would imagine that would be the center for whatever rally's schools may have. There is a Hard Rock, Houlihans and Landry's seafood there. Also close by Union Station on the west side is Maggie O'Briens, a nice bar.

You can't go wrong with The Landing or Soulard. Washington Ave. has new establishments since it has been undergoing redevelopment the last few years.

Restaurants:

1. Make sure you check out Mosaic on Washingotn Ave. It's right next to the Dome...its upscale tapas.

2. For a nice restaurant in the Dome area, try An American Place. This restaurant is in a remarkable room in the Renaissance Hotel, across from the dome. For watching sports on TV, I would go to Bernie Federko's Steak and Sports Bar - they took over the spot called Jacques in the Sheraton City Center. I haven't been to Federko's, but I assume they still have the abundance of television screens that Jacques had. Federko's is at the Civic Center subway stop.

3. You should find plenty of options on Washington Ave. An American Place is fantastic, but quite expensive. I've heard good things about Rooster (crepe place), Dubliner (Irish pub), and Papa Fabarre's (in the downtown Macy's), to name a few

4. I highly recommend Mosaic and Red Moon for your nice, not at all stuffy dinners. Try the Sidebar for your sports bar. I really, really don't like the food at Flannery's and avoid eating there. You also may like Tenth St. Italian on Tenth Street, as well as Sen (thai) which is right off of Washington Ave. The Dubliner is next to Mosaic and usually has live (Irish) bands on the weekends