SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX VS GOPHERS - LOSER GOES HOME, WINNER TO ST LOUIS

AZSIOUX

I was just going to say that. If there would have been any kind of rebound, it would have been in the back of the net.

It would have been an ugly, ugly win if the shot off the boards, that bounced off the top of the goal had gone in.

I was thinking the same thing....that would have been a horrible way for the game to end.

One of the things that has always impressed me by the Sioux is how the charge the net and create traffic & havoc in front of the net. That picture summarizes it perfectly. MN does this in spurts but still to often looks for the perfect shot......which a college player is lucky to get once a weekend during the regular season and has almost no chance of getting during a playoff game.

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

* Face offs, the art of which is little appreciated by us fans, were key to the win. Both Lucia and Hakstol commented on puck possession and that MN had to chase us for 15-20 seconds after most faceoffs. This too is huge, and was probably a factor as the OT went on.

Listening to the post game press conferences this is something that stuck out for me, someone who didn't play the game. Sure, I know that winning the faceoff gives you instant puck possession, but what I hadn't considered were the ramifications of face-off dominance in other way, i.e. wearing the other team down. This was a very interesting facet for me.

I think he was trying to play pass and shot.....if VanDeVelde had been better covered Frazee could have comitted more to the shot......

Lammy played well....Frazee played well. Fun game.

Weird end boards though, eh?

Good point, I didn't pick that up on the tape. I was only focusing on how the shot went in.

End boards really were dangerous. Fooled both goalies at times.

Listening to the post game press conferences this is something that stuck out for me, someone who didn't play the game. Sure, I know that winning the faceoff gives you instant puck possession, but what I hadn't considered were the ramifications of face-off dominance in other way, i.e. wearing the other team down. This was a very interesting facet for me.

All you need to know about the importance of defensive zone face-offs was taught to us by MSU-Mankato near the end of the regular season, in about 90 seconds.

I think the Sioux held at least a 2-1 advantage in face-offs.....that's a lot of time chasing the puck & playing defense and one of the reasons the Sioux had fresher legs in OT.

What's the story on VanDeVelde? I didn't hear his name much until this past weekend (granted I don't follow that closely) but IMHO he was right up there with the DOT boys as being a scoring threat. Was this typical of his play or did he step up his play level?

What's the story on VanDeVelde?

Hot and cold. Good game, terrible game.

Then Matt Watkins dinged a knee on a Friday at DU and he got put up with Porter and Miller. Better. Watkins comes back and Miller is slid down to the fourth line (where Vandy had been).

Vandy, Porter, and Watkins suddenly start to move the puck, ... and score.

I think the Sioux held at least a 2-1 advantage in face-offs.....that's a lot of time chasing the puck & playing defense and one of the reasons the Sioux had fresher legs in OT.

According to the Herald, it was 49-30 on face-offs. So 5 out of 8 times UND started with the puck first. That's huge. Also, Toews was 21-12 on face-offs, VandeVelde 12-7 on Face-offs, and Kaip 7-3 on face-offs. I just couldn't believe that Wheeler got to keep taking draws for Minnesota in the defensive zone when the announcers said he had only won something like 3 out 12 or 15 face-offs that whole game. Why wouldn't you put your best face-off guy out there for the UofM when the face-offs are in your zone in OT?

According to the Herald, it was 49-30 on face-offs. So 5 out of 8 times UND started with the puck first. That's huge. Also, Toews was 21-12 on face-offs, VandeVelde 12-7 on Face-offs, and Kaip 7-3 on face-offs. I just couldn't believe that Wheeler got to keep taking draws for Minnesota in the defensive zone when the announcers said he had only won something like 3 out 12 or 15 face-offs that whole game. Why wouldn't you put your best face-off guy out there for the UofM when the face-offs are in your zone in OT?

Okposo was the only Gopher winning face-offs, and that dude was gassed in the OT.

Not scoring on that major damaged the Gophers in two ways:

- not scoring

- their top guys spent a lot of energy not scoring

Yep...between the energy they spent chasing pucks by not winning face-offs, and all the skating they did on the power plays, and NOT scoring, the legs just left them by OT. No question the Sioux were the quicker bunch when it counted.

VV isn't bad at all on the draw.

And the progress Kaip has made in that department is good too. IIRC, he pretty much sucked at Center last year.

thought maybe you guys would be interested to see a reply i posted to a Gopher fan over on Hockey's Future boards talking about how the Gophers are the most dominant team in the NCAA...... :silly:

ok, first off, the Gophers played well, and congrats on a great season (overall), but one thing i jsut want to know is how you can say you are the most talented team in the NHL when, when it counted, your guys couldnt pull it out. I mean, obviously they played well enough to win the Broadmoor Trophy, but honestly, once the NCAAs start, no one worries about conference championships. I got a hat last year when the Sioux won the Broadmoor....no one cared a week later. It's still sittin in a box in my closet. And yes, you won the WCHA points title, but thats only cause, basically, you guys won enough games in the first half of the season that no one could catch up with you, even when you lost so many games in the second half.

Now, don't get me wrong, im not trying to bash the Gophers here. Everyone knows they are a good, talented, DEEP team. Those who try and say otherwise are wrong. However, there are just some things that you said, MN_Gopher, that were almost rediculous. You want Vanek, Kessel, Potulny, Taffe...hell even take Irmen...sure! But let us have Stafford, Zajac, Smaby, Bochenski, and Zach Parise back and you are on! You dont have those players, and we dont have ours. You play with what you got and if you can't get it done, so be it.

Frazee and Briggs are good goalies. They are. For some reason, they have holes where they shouldnt. At least when it counts. You say he is huge in huge games, well that OT goal by Porter wasn't anyone but Frazee's fault. Yes, he got his skate on the post, which is what youa re supposed to do, but he didnt close his legs when moving across the crease and let a HUGE 5-hole open up.....that was his fault. Like i said, he is good, but breaks down under that kind of pressure.

One thing the Gophers do not have is class. Jersey pops? *** is that? I understand putting your school's name before your's, but man, talk about being a showoff. Maybe if they had won the game, maybe if they had won the championship, sure, but after ONE goal? Come on. And signs form fans..."Sue is a girl's name"....are you joking? The Sioux were an indian tribe LONG before "Sue" was a girl's name.

I dunno, i think the Gophers are a good team, every year, with a shot every year. Needless to say im glad the Sioux beat the Gophers yesterday. It was close, and whoever won deserved it, whether it was the Sioux or Gophers. I for one am not impressed with the overall attitude of the majority of Gopher fans, or the attitude of people like Doug Woog and Dubay, who after every Gopher loss love to reel in the excuses (Okposo was sick, Goligoski had a broken hand, too many Sioux fans, altitude was too much, etc, etc). once again, you play with what ya got. done and done.

That's an odd post. No Gopher homer takes the Gophers to task more than Doug Woog and both he and Dubay last night said after the game that UND deserved to win the game. :silly:

I agree, I thought they were both very complimentary to the Sioux. Woog looked shocked on TV, though.

I heard the NCAA doesn't keep that stat, just the WCHA.

That is weird that they do not keep that stat. OK well I guess Porter already has the record. Now lets go get a National Title. I wonder if Myles will be in St.Louis, would love to see him have to handle a trophy to the Sioux! But lets beat BC first then onto a title game.

Aw man, you didn't have to post that!!!!

Ah, life's lessons. They recovered, but not til the next day :D. ( I am sure they get that from there mother!) The cool thing about College Hockey is when it ends, Baseball season is about to start. You do not need to mess around with football or basketball. Hockey to baseball, baseball to hockey. It's a good life, really.

Good luck in St. Louis!