SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux vs. Michigan

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from the game. WOW. Never seen anything like it. Great character win for the Sioux. I have to say that Michigan is one helluva offensive team. Very fast and skilled. Seems like they had an odd man rush every time down the ice in the first period and a half. Sioux D will have to tighten up tomorrow. Lammy played huge. Yeah, a couple of weak goals but that stop on Hensick on the breakaway was a thing of beauty. Henisck is a helluva player. I'd like to know what he said to be kicked out for 10. That was huge. I was nervous everytime he was on the ice. Jack Johnson is the best Defenseman I've seen in a while. Can't imagine he'll stay around another year. Sioux really deserve a lot of credit for how they came back.

Big final tomorrow. Sioux have lost once in the black jerseys, the OT loss to Denver in February. Jersey choice will not matter. The Sioux need to come out and play Sioux hockey from the start and they will be fine.

Great Sioux crowd. Nice to see 11-12,000 in the building, especially after seeing some regionals that barely reached 4,000.

I'm already looking forward to tomorrow's game.

I don't know if that was a designed play. The puck hit the post and got pushed into the net by Sauer's skate.

That puck went in because Sauer flat out sucks.

Seriously, no one played defense tonight until the last 30 minutes of the game (especially the Wolverines). The big difference is that Sauer is absolutely NOT a big game goaltender. The days of big time goaltenders at Michigan took a major step backwards with this guy. Sauer might be in trouble next year when Hogan (?) from Lincoln comes to Ann Arbor.

Looked to me like Bina deliberately shot the puck wide ... I can't fault Sauer on that one. Bang-bang play.

In Michigan's system, they NEED a great goalie. Sauer doesn't seem like the kind to steal a bunch for you. Agree Red must be looking for another.

One thing to give credit to the team was that they didn't take a lot of dumb penalties. The only one that I think was bad judgment on the Sioux's part was Lammy's.

I agree. Great job by the team to play hard and physical but smart at the same time. When was the last time the PP difference was SO much in the Sioux's favor?

Sounded like a great Sioux crowd tonite. Was that all Sioux fans? Or were fans of other teams joining with the Sioux crowd tonite?

Just got back from the game. WOW. Never seen anything like it. Great character win for the Sioux. I have to say that Michigan is one helluva offensive team. Very fast and skilled. Seems like they had an odd man rush every time down the ice in the first period and a half. Sioux D will have to tighten up tomorrow. Lammy played huge. Yeah, a couple of weak goals but that stop on Hensick on the breakaway was a thing of beauty. Henisck is a helluva player. I'd like to know what he said to be kicked out for 10. That was huge. I was nervous everytime he was on the ice. Jack Johnson is the best Defenseman I've seen in a while. Can't imagine he'll stay around another year. Sioux really deserve a lot of credit for how they came back.

Big final tomorrow. Sioux have lost once in the black jerseys, the OT loss to Denver in February. Jersey choice will not matter. The Sioux need to come out and play Sioux hockey from the start and they will be fine.

Great Sioux crowd. Nice to see 11-12,000 in the building, especially after seeing some regionals that barely reached 4,000.

I'm green with envy. Thanks for the update.

Lammy!!!! with the great stop to prevent Hensick's hat trick and keep Duncan's Hobey Baker chances alive!

... then JMFJ with the incredibly stupid running-the-goalie penalty. Again, really happy that we didn't retaliate.

That's it, I'm changing my sn to HockeyMFMom.

I agree about the D. Basically nonexistant for much of the game. Chorney and Bina did not look good at times. We can't play like this tommorrow defensively if we expect to go to the Frozen Four.

Why did Hensick get a 10 minute misconduct.

Mouthed off to the ref. He said during the post-game interview (which you can see at fightingsioux.com) that he just got sick of what the ref was saying, but didn't think he deserved a 10 minute misconduct. Seemed pretty pissed, cocky in the interview, IMO.

I agree about the D. Basically nonexistant for much of the game. Chorney and Bina did not look good at times. We can't play like this tommorrow defensively if we expect to go to the Frozen Four.

From my vantage, Genoway was one of our better defenseman tonight. It seemed like the speed of Michigan was causing problems. We didn't win too many races to loose pucks. Also, the Sioux did a great job of not retaliating to a number of MI penalties. Hensick took a real cheap shoot on a Sioux player late in the game. Also, the key on Oshie's third goal was winning the face off. It's the little things like that that are going to make a difference tomorrow.

Any one know what leagues the refs came from. I think they called a pretty good game. The diving on Miller was total BS and they did let a few things go in the third. Also, pretty balsy to give Hensick the 10 minute misconduct. He must of really gotten out of line. Funny thing is, I don't remember anything particular that would have triggered his action. A Michigan fan next to me thought he was going for a slash. It will be interesting to read Berenson's comments on the call.

Most fans were in Sioux green. Lot of DU fans. Not sure which way they will cheer tomorrow night. Maybe we can rent the MI band for tomorrow. Man, did I get sick of hearing the MI fight song. I decided to stay in the concourse the first minute of the third and I'm thinking that was the MAIN reason MI did not score. No need to thank me. :D

Mouthed off to the ref. He said during the post-game interview (which you can see at fightingsioux.com) that he just got sick of what the ref was saying, but didn't think he deserved a 10 minute misconduct. Seemed pretty pissed, cocky in the interview, IMO.

Thanks for the link.

Red did a great job of not saying anything (but doing so very politely) in the postgame.

Glad I got to watch it live at Sensor's. :D I've never seen so many Sioux fans there.

It was obviously a crazy game and Lammy wasn't ready. However, when he made the breakaway save he quickly threw the puck out and didn't let any more past him. I expect him to fully show the umtc players and the ref plenty of glove tomorrow. I don't care if they think he is showing off.

How about our PP? I've never seen anything like it. I think 3 of our PP's never made it to ten seconds, because we had already scored.

Who should be more worried tomorrow? Us giving up goals or umtc not scoring?

Glad I got to watch it live at Sensor's. ;) I've never seen so many Sioux fans there.

Sioux fans travel well! :D

Don't know about anyone else, but I worry about every game in the NCAA tournament! It's a one and done deal, and I don't ever want to be done until we're holding the hardware!

Couple things watching the game again.

Lee looked quite a lot like a big-time defenseman tonight. Looking comfortable.

Kaip's goal was from Watkins as they changed lines in the middle of a cycle. Last spring two of Kaip's playoff goals were off passes from Watkins on the end boards; both of those came when they were not regular linemates either.

Was surprised to see it was Toews that coughed up the puck to Hensick on his first period goal, then I think Toews again on the play that led to Hensick's big breakaway in the second. If I saw that right, that would be two errors from a guy who hasn't made many all year.

I know I am going to be a nervous wreck. I was stunned throughout the first 5-10 minutes or so of the game, and again during the 1st minute of the 2nd period. All I kept thinking is, "If we get by Michigan, no way will the Gophers let us get away with so many mistakes." Hopefully the 5 GA was a wake up call to the boys to come out full force in all aspects of the game. We are lucky Bauer is a sieve.

Was surprised to see it was Toews that coughed up the puck to Hensick on his first period goal, then I think Toews again on the play that led to Hensick's big breakaway in the second. If I saw that right, that would be two errors from a guy who hasn't made many all year.

Same here with that first period goal. Toews is so strong on the puck that you'd never expect him to cough it up the way he did.

Couple things watching the game again.

Lee looked quite a lot like a big-time defenseman tonight. Looking comfortable.

Kaip's goal was from Watkins as they changed lines in the middle of a cycle. Last spring two of Kaip's playoff goals were off passes from Watkins on the end boards; both of those came when they were not regular linemates either.

Good points. I found it interesting that Hensick stole the puck from Toews, walked past Chorney and scored.

A similar situation happened later, but I don't know if Hensick stole the puck from Toews, and it was Finley that Hensick tried to skate past but Finley didn't let him get by him. I wonder if anyone noticed that?

Regardless though, the way the first five minutes of the first and second periods went, it's really hard to say our defense played well as a unit.

Sorry for not scrolling back, but why did Hensick get a 10 minute misconduct again?