SiouxSports.com Forum

Booooooo

yekcoh

You completely ignore possible reasons for his behavior given by me and others. Now, I admit I don't know for sure why he does what he does, but how can you know so much better than me? Why are the reasons I or PCM gave not valid? Let's hear what you have to say...

Precisely. He may be showboating, we don't know that for sure (or at least I don't). I can see why opposing teams and their fans think that. I've never said one way or another what he is doing. It may be that he's just trying to show the ref that he has the puck and he needs to blow the whistle to stop play. It may be him showboating. Or he may be that into the game that he doesn't realize how much it appears to be showboating, and he is simply jacked up for the game.

In regards to the booing, that's just part of hockey. You'd think that during the awards ceremony, you wouldn't see it, but it happens from time to time. North Dakota fans are not perfect, and where a lot of fans cheer during awards ceremonies, we have our share who will continually boo. What can you say, the world is an imperfect place.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you weren't at the Ralph last year when Chorney "popped his jersey" after he scored against the Gophers. What Irmen and Wheeler did might not have been classy but they are not the only ones that do it.

That was actually in response to Irmen's jersey pop at the Ralph. Maybe it's tolerable in front of the home crowd, but in someone else's building it is definitely not classy.

However, that rush of emotions Wheeler got when the crowd roared, and the fact that he didn't expect anything, probably lead to the excessive celebration. It's understandable, he probably had to restrain himself from ripping all his gear off and skating around in his jock.

Knocking on Phil for the glove thing is just ridiculous, given that we can generate all kinds of valid reasons for it.

That was actually in response to Irmen's jersey pop at the Ralph. Maybe it's tolerable in front of the home crowd, but in someone else's building it is definitely not classy.

However, that rush of emotions Wheeler got when the crowd roared, and the fact that he didn't expect anything, probably lead to the excessive celebration. It's understandable, he probably had to restrain himself from ripping all his gear off and skating around in his jock.

Knocking on Phil for the glove thing is just ridiculous, given that we can generate all kinds of valid reasons for it.

speaking of raising gloves - I like the way Frazee raises his at least once a game indicating an icing call when the gophs are on a PP.

As usual there's a perfectly logical explanation for everything a Sioux coach/fan/player does and no good reason when it's done by a Gopher. We whine, you cheer, we showboat, you celebrate, we horde, you share, blah, blah, blah, we suck, you're perfect.... :silly::angry:

As usual there's a perfectly logical explanation for everything a Sioux coach/fan/player does and no good reason when it's done by a Gopher. We whine, you cheer, we showboat, you celebrate, we horde, you share, blah, blah, blah, you suck, we're perfect, blah, blah, blah. :silly:

Finally, someone get's it. Who's forcing you to read anything on www.siouxsports.com?

Is GPL any different for opposing fans? How about SCSU's site? Or UMD's? Or Wisco's? :angry:

Both what Lamaroux and Wheeler did was inapropriate. It showboating and there is no room for it. Just win with dignity. Off course we are not on the ice and can't hear exchange of barbs thrown at each other which my guess has alot to do with it. I will say this though, how did the Gophers get their hands on those Minot jerseys?

Both sides are taking this whole thing a bit far. Siouxtopia hit on the head with the wheeler goal, Wheeler had no idea he even had a shot to score and it looked like he was just reacting to the play. The Irmen and Kessel's goals last year where premeditated and a bit classless, although I am sure both players took a ton of abuse from the home crowds and it was there way of sticking it back in the faces of those who give them crap all weekend. Either way it brings emotion to the game and continues to fuel a great rivalry so a little bit of it either way every couple of years is good in my book.

The Irmen and Kessel's goals last year where premeditated and a bit classless, although I am sure both players took a ton of abuse from the home crowds and it was there way of sticking it back in the faces of those who give them crap all weekend.

I'm quite certain Danny heard me last spring as he skated thru the line with Holy Cross when I yelled out "Where's the jersey pop now, Danny?".

In their defense, I think most of these kids learned the stupid "jersey-pop" trick from watching rubes at the Xcel Energy Center do it every time the fan cam strolls thru the arena. On a somewhat-similar issue, STOP DOING THE WAVE!

I'm quite certain Danny heard me last spring as he skated thru the line with Holy Cross when I yelled out "Where's the jersey pop now, Danny?".

In their defense, I think most of these kids learned the stupid "jersey-pop" trick from watching rubes at the Xcel Energy Center do it every time the fan cam strolls thru the arena. On a somewhat-similar issue, STOP DOING THE WAVE!

The wave or "MINNESOTA" chant aren't half as bad as that "bounce" thing the Badger fans do, and that humming stuff the BC fans do on special teams. What the hell is up with that bounce thing anyway?

All this is hockey, pure and simple. I don't think one should be offended by Lammy or Wheeler or even Irmen. It's emotions, energy and hockey. If we're offended by such things, we start sounding too much like Brand and Harrison and their PC retinue. I have better things to be offended by that Wheeler or Irmen or Lammy. If they're flipping the crowd off, that's one thing. Doing what Wheeler did after a miraculous goal (and there's no way that goes 1/2 inch past Lammy's glove without divine intervention) is understandable. Let's leave it to the NC00 and the PC hacks to pine for the days where they can somnambulate through a "non-offensive" sporting event. I don't surmise Brand and Co. would ever go unless such attendance was for purposes of gathering material to wax poetic about "offensive" nicknames.

I for one clapped for him, he played the heck out of those games. Yes, I even told UND fans that the game was a GOOD hockey game, most of the responses I got? "shut up", "are you for real", "the refs gave you the game", and OCCASIONALLY, "thanks, it was".

W

I for one clapped for him, he played the heck out of those games. Yes, I even told UND fans that the game was a GOOD hockey game, most of the responses I got? "shut up", "are you for real", "the refs gave you the game", and OCCASIONALLY, "thanks, it was".

W

hey, quit with this crap, WPos. you said the same exact thing on this board after the Goofers beat UND 3 years ago in one of the best FF games in history. I know becuase your whiny little speech was my signature for two years. you said, "i've never had a Sioux fan come up to me after a Gopher win and say good job." you know why.....? YOU DIDN'T PLAY IN THE FREAKIN' GAME, DUDE!

My guess is that you're all about interaction with opposing fans when the Gophers win. in january did you run around Yucki after your team got spanked and go up to UND fans and say "good game?" i would suspect that you were in the car, halfway home, listening to the last 10 minutes of the 3rd period in your car while the arena was filled with "beat the traffic" chants.

It's not like you had Flag guy come up to you and call you a nazi. (how'd that guy get on t.v.?)

Relax, your fans aren't any better.

1. Phil holding his glove up is showboating, (picked it up from his idol Karl G.) I'm fine with it. There isn't anyway for that to come and bite him in the ass. (Unless he does a "around the world" glove save and throws the puck in the net)

2. Irmen was getting razzed by the students right before he came out of the box and scored (see below)

3. Kessel taunted a crowd that was booing him everytime he touched the puck (loved it).

The problem with "popping" ones jersey is that went out of style after the Illini made their run in the 2005 NCAA Basketball. I would have much prefered Wheeler or anyone for that matter to do something outlandish and fun like a Tiger Williams celebration (Number 1 at the end of the video).

W

I sat in section 102 and civility ruled the evening. The Gopher fans around me have all gotten rather cordial. Then again, my buddies and I have been in that section surrounded by the same group of people for seven years now (since the tournament moved to the X). It's funny, but I almost look forward to seeing the people I haven't seen since the previous year's Final Five.

I did notice in SEVERAL sections throughout Saturday night's game that skirmishes, finger-pointing, taunting, and even a few shoves being thrown. Behind the zamboni entrance, I counted at least four people who were ejected by security.

WPoS, had you been sitting next to me, I'd have told you that it wasn't a good game, but a great game.

I think it's funny that when we lose to the Gophers so many people have to make up so many excuses and have to find every dumb little thing to rip on Gopher fans and players for....

I would have thought there'd be more adults in this forum.

The problem with "popping" ones jersey is that went out of style after the Illini made their run in the 2005 NCAA Basketball. I would have much prefered Wheeler or anyone for that matter to do something outlandish and fun like a Tiger Williams celebration (Number 1 at the end of the video).

The problem with sports in general is that the taunts have become an "it's all about me" showcase. Two years ago I was watching an NCAA game where DePaul was losing by (this is no lie) 30 points to Cincinnati. Late in the game, a Cincy player makes a steal and a Blue Demon player swats his layup attempt into the seats. The guy got into the Cincy player's face and yipped at him for five seconds before a referee finally had enough and gave him a T. Your team's losing by 30 with minutes left...block the shot, get ready to play defense again, and shut your pie-hole.

If you're gonna do something, just go over the top like Tiger Williams. I still crack up watching that highlight.

I sat in section 102 and civility ruled the evening. The Gopher fans around me have all gotten rather cordial. Then again, my buddies and I have been in that section surrounded by the same group of people for seven years now (since the tournament moved to the X).

I did notice in SEVERAL sections throughout Saturday night's game that skirmishes, finger-pointing, taunting, and even a few shoves being thrown. Behind the zamboni entrance, I counted at least four people who were ejected by security.

WPoS, had you been sitting next to me, I'd have told you that it wasn't a good game, but a great game.

Twas a GREAT game - that kind of behavior was actually going on in my living room. Had the pleasure of hosting with a couple of Gopher fan neighbors joining us.

W

It was a great game. Sure hope another one happens on Sunday. Same teams. New winner.

WPoS. I saw you in the crowd. I was over amidst all of the altercations in Section 120 I think? The one right

behind the goal the Sioux defended twice, and where the OT winner was scored. Sure coulda used

you and your voice of civility and reason.

Fun game.