SiouxSports.com Forum

You Are the Committee

nodakvindy

My prediction put UND at a T5 with Michigan... I'll take a 2 seed...don't matter at this point in the year because the Nat'l Champion is always a team with momentum, and at some point you have to start playing good teams anyways. So either way, you might get one...maybe two...games that are marginally eaiser.

College Hockey News has posted its You Are The Committee. There are numerous scenarios where UND can still get a #1 seed, even up to #3 overall. But at the least, a high 2 is a certainty is they take care of business at the Final 5.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/yatc.php

Thanks for posting - after playing with the scenarios, it looks like we need our ECAC buddies Dartmouth to help if we want to get a #1. Wondering if you see any "must win" games elsewhere for a #1 to work.

It appears that both CC and Denver have played their way out of the tourney.

Wisco must win the final five to get in, and Mich Tech probably needs a couple wins, especially one against the top 3 final five teams, after beating Wisco, to have a shot at getting in.

Otherwise, just 3 WCHA teams. With Denver out, I'd guess the Sioux could end up there as a 2 seed.

Thanks for posting - after playing with the scenarios, it looks like we need our ECAC buddies Dartmouth to help if we want to get a #1. Wondering if you see any "must win" games elsewhere for a #1 to work.

One scenario on the USCHO that puts UND as a #1 seed would be for HE/ECHL/CCHA tournaments go to chalk and UND to win the f5 and SCS losing twice. That puts the #1 seeds as Nortre Dame, Minn, NH and UND, in that order, which would probably put us in Denver. Our bracket would have Clarkson and Maine/Mass and/or St. L.

Not out of the question.

It looks like a UMass win of Hockey East would be beneficial (since it would hurt BC, BU and UNH) and paired with St. Lawrence win of the ECACHL could get the Sioux up to #3 overall.

Also, it appears losing the 3rd place game would hurt St. Cloud a ton, so that's something else to pull for.

But first things first, and that's the Sioux winning Friday and Saturday night. If that doesn't happen, then the rest doesn't really matter.

It looks like a UMass win of Hockey East would be beneficial (since it would hurt BC, BU and UNH) and paired with St. Lawrence win of the ECACHL could get the Sioux up to #3 overall.

Also, it appears losing the 3rd place game would hurt St. Cloud a ton, so that's something else to pull for.

But first things first, and that's the Sioux winning Friday and Saturday night. If that doesn't happen, then the rest doesn't really matter.

Because of Denver/CC's demise, having NH and us as #1 seeds would be great. They would have to put NH at home, leaving us to be the #1 in Denver, with no local team to influence the crowd unfairly.

Because of Denver/CC's demise, having NH and us as #1 seeds would be great. They would have to put NH at home, leaving us to be the #1 in Denver, with no local team to influence the crowd unfairly.

I think it is really unfair that DU can be a top 10 KRACH Team and not make the tournament.

I think it is really unfair that DU can be a top 10 KRACH Team and not make the tournament.

that is crazy but they did suck the big one down the stretch so have fun at home clowns from du and punkabich...

CC is definitely out, but Denver has a glimmer of hope. Here is a scenario where Denver is in, and UND is a #1 seed. It would likely have us in Rochester with Clarkson, Maine and Quinnipiac. This setup would be great as it would spread out all four WCHA teams, with three as #1 seeds (sound familiar).

You have specified the following weight for the quality win bonus:

.003 per quality road win

User-Specified Results

You have specified the following tournament results:

Atlantic Hockey Semifinal #2: Connecticut defeats Army.

Atlantic Hockey Semifinal #1: Air Force defeats Sacred Heart.

Atlantic Hockey Championship game: Air Force defeats Connecticut.

CCHA Semifinal #2: Michigan defeats Michigan State.

CCHA Semifinal #1: Notre Dame defeats Lake Superior.

CCHA Championship game: Notre Dame defeats Michigan.

CCHA Consolation game: Lake Superior defeats Michigan State.

ECAC Semifinal #2: Dartmouth defeats Clarkson.

ECAC Semifinal #1: Quinnipiac defeats St. Lawrence.

ECAC Championship game: Quinnipiac defeats Dartmouth.

ECAC Consolation game: Clarkson defeats St. Lawrence.

Hockey East Semifinal #2: Boston College defeats Boston University.

Hockey East Semifinal #1: Massachusetts defeats New Hampshire.

Hockey East Championship game: Massachusetts defeats Boston College.

WCHA Play-in #1: Wisconsin defeats Michigan Tech.

WCHA Semifinal #2: North Dakota defeats St. Cloud State.

WCHA Semifinal #1: Minnesota defeats Wisconsin.

WCHA Championship game: North Dakota defeats Minnesota.

WCHA Consolation game: St. Cloud State defeats Wisconsin.

Denver needs Sacred Heart to lose, Michigan State and St. Lawrence to lose twice. Air Force winning Atlantic Hockey would also be big help. There are some scenarios where Denver, St. Lawrence and Michigan State are separated by only .0001 in the RPI.

Heading into the league championship games, most of the results are now down to seeding, with Quinnipiac the only party crasher still alive. I am pulling for New Hampshire, Clarkson and Notre Dame along with the Sioux. If Dartmouth holds on in the ECAC Consolation game and those teams win, the tourney field would set up like this. I think a pretty favorable draw for UND. I think this would hold up for attendance purposes but ideally, I'd switch the Michigan/BU and St. Cloud/Maine games to avoid second round conference matchups.

Grand Rapids

1 Notre Dame

4 Alabama Huntsville

2 Michigan

3 Boston University

Manchester

1 New Hampshire

4 Dartmouth

2 North Dakota

3 Miami

Rochester

1 Clarkson

4 UMass

2 Boston College

3 Michigan St.

Denver

1 Minnesota

4 Army/Air Force

2 St. Cloud St.

3 Maine

Just missed you and posted this in another thread, but I think that this is a more appropriate thread.

Here is what I plugged into the "Pairwise Predictor" on USCHO that will give us the #4 seed overall

Notre Dame beats Michigan

Dartmouth beats St. Lawrence

Quinnipiac beats Clarkson

New Hampshire beats Boston College

Army beats Air Force

North Dakota beats Minnesota (of course)

and there is a .003 bonus (which is what Jay Moy over at USCHO uses)

1 Notre Dame (Nt) 24 .5808*

2 Minnesota (Mn) 23 .5778

3 New Hampshire (NH) 22 .5690*

4 North Dakota (ND) 21 .5638

5t St. Cloud State (SC) 19 .5621

5t Clarkson (Ck) 19 .5581

5t Boston College (BC) 19 .5527*

8t Michigan (Mi) 16 .5489

8t Boston University (BU) 16 .5472

8t Michigan State (MS) 16 .5394

11t Maine (Me) 13 .5367

11t Miami (Mm) 13 .5343

11t Massachusetts (MA) 13 .5328

14t Dartmouth (Da) 9 .5363

14t Denver (DU) 9 .5326

14t Michigan Tech (MT) 9 .5220

17t St. Lawrence (SL) 8 .5324

17t Wisconsin (Wi) 8 .5286

19 Colorado College (CC) 7 .5233

20 Quinnipiac (Qn) 6 .5308

21 Vermont (Vt) 4 .5223

22 Cornell (Cr) 3 .5079

23 Lake Superior (LS) 2 .5119

24 RIT (RT) 1 .5054

25 Nebraska-Omaha (NO) 0 .5052

Just missed you and posted this in another thread, but I think that this is a more appropriate thread.

Here is what I plugged into the "Pairwise Predictor" on USCHO that will give us the #4 seed overall

Dartmouth beats St. Lawrence

Army beats Air Force

North Dakota beats Minnesota (of course)

and there is a .003 bonus (which is what Jay Moy over at USCHO uses)

actually this is what needs to happen (changes in bold):

Dartmouth beats or ties St. Lawrence

Army and Air Force doesn't matter

North Dakota beats Minnesota

actually this is what needs to happen (changes in bold):

Dartmouth beats or ties St. Lawrence

Army and Air Force doesn't matter

North Dakota beats Minnesota

Going to be tough for UNH to beat BC, with as well as BC played last night. After watching games last night, they're the only team that I would not feel comfortable meeting next weekend. Other than that, I think we can win if we play our game.

Thanks for all the work on the YATC stuff, but there are just too many upsets required for the Sioux to climb above a #2 seed. If the favorites win tonight, and the Sioux stub their toe against Minnesota, they could find themselves dropping a long ways in the Pairwise. If the favorites win, and that includes the Sioux, they'll end up with a solid #2 seed.

Just win, baby.

Thanks for all the work on the YATC stuff, but there are just too many upsets required for the Sioux to climb above a #2 seed. If the favorites win tonight, and the Sioux stub their toe against Minnesota, they could find themselves dropping a long ways in the Pairwise. If the favorites win, and that includes the Sioux, they'll end up with a solid #2 seed.

Just win, baby.

dartmouth just lost to st lawrence, meaning the sioux can at best be a #2 seed. hopefully they can win tonight and avoid being placed in the grand rapids regional with michigan and minnesota.

It'll be interesting to see where the Committee sends everyone. The Sioux fall to 10, a #3 seed. Wisconsin almost claws back in (unless the bonus is something other than .003). And Denver is right there at the doorstep looking in.

At Christmas time, how many of us would've truly thought the Sioux would find themselves here?

Skate to #8 young men.

It'll be interesting to see where the Committee sends everyone. The Sioux fall to 10, a #3 seed. Wisconsin almost claws back in (unless the bonus is something other than .003). And Denver is right there at the doorstep looking in.

At Christmas time, how many of us would've truly thought the Sioux would find themselves here?

Skate to #8 young men.

If the seed based on current pairwise and .003 bonus, Sioux as a 10 would be placed in Clarkston region would they not since they would be considered the second highest three seed thereby being placed in the third highest one seed? Or do they just seed 1-4 and then base decisions on location and attendance?

The good thing is we are playing next weekend. GO SIOUX. Only two losses in 07 were in OT. I like the way we are playing.

If the seed based on current pairwise and .003 bonus, Sioux as a 10 would be placed in Clarkston region would they not since they would be considered the second highest three seed thereby being placed in the third highest one seed? Or do they just seed 1-4 and then base decisions on location and attendance?

The good thing is we are playing next weekend. GO SIOUX. Only two losses in 07 were in OT. I like the way we are playing.

I think they try to seed:

Region 1: 1v16, 8v9

Region 2: 2v15, 7v10

Region 3: 3v14, 6v11

Region 4: 4v13, 5v12

If that is the case, we (at number 10 with .003 bonus) would be in Notre Dame's (#2) bracket.

We would get BU in game 1.

We wouldn't get Minn. until the national championship game since region 2v3 and region 1v4

I think we're going to have a near replay of last year's West Regional, with Minnesota, Michigan, and North Dakota all getting placed in Denver. I did have Alabama-Huntsville in this region, until I read Moy's Bracketology on USCHO. He thinks Air Force will get place in Denver for attendance purposes. He's probably right.

They have a BC/UNH rematch set and a Gophers/UND rematch set. Stupid. PWR is not accurate enough to warrant strict adherence when seeding the teams.

Relax, Moy drank too much tonight, his explanation is full of poor logic...he must be a closet Gopher fan...

Relax, Moy drank too much tonight, his explanation is full of poor logic...he must be a closet Gopher fan...

I hope your right but the NCAA paints themselves into a corner with their needless seeding rules. I support PWR picking the teams for the tourney, but in the national tourney they should avoid having any top two seeds in a given region from the same conference.

I commented on USCHO that this proposed bracket is the best I've seen. It adheres to a perfect bracket for the high seed (1-8) and only requires two switches among the lower seeds. It spreads out all four CCHA teams and all three WCHA teams, while putting at least one Hockey East team in each bracket as well. It also should fare well attendance wise.

Grand Rapids

1 Minnesota (WC)

8 Michigan (CC)

11 Mass-Amherst (HE)

16 Alabama-Huntsville (CH)

Denver

2 Notre Dame (CC)

7 Boston Univ (HE)

10 North Dakota (WC)

15 Air Force (AH)

Rochester

3 Clarkson (EC)

6 St Cloud (WC)

9 Mich State (CC)

13 Maine (HE)

Manchester

4 New Hampshire (HE)

5 Boston Coll (HE)

12 St Lawrence (EC)

14 Miami (CC)

I commented on USCHO that this proposed bracket is the best I've seen. It adheres to a perfect bracket for the high seed (1-8) and only requires two switches among the lower seeds. It spreads out all four CCHA teams and all three WCHA teams, while putting at least one Hockey East team in each bracket as well. It also should fare well attendance wise.

Grand Rapids

1 Minnesota (WC)

8 Michigan (CC)

11 Mass-Amherst (HE)

16 Alabama-Huntsville (CH)

Denver

2 Notre Dame (CC)

7 Boston Univ (HE)

10 North Dakota (WC)

15 Air Force (AH)

Rochester

3 Clarkson (EC)

6 St Cloud (WC)

9 Mich State (CC)

13 Maine (HE)

Manchester

4 New Hampshire (HE)

5 Boston Coll (HE)

12 St Lawrence (EC)

14 Miami (CC)

Given that there's so little difference between the 3 seeds and the 2 seeds, I agree. Set up more interesting regionals with matchups that you don't already see every weekend.